1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaggia Classic model differences?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Cav

Cav pfm Member

So some people spend £800ish on 2 machines to make a small cup of coffee. Remarkable.

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Some spend £1800 on three machines to make a small cup of coffee.

Many spend way more.......

3. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

You wouldn't believe what some folk spend on hi-fi.

Snufkin and TheDecameron like this.
  4. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I know what some spend on hi-fi. At least one gets many hours continuous enjoyment from it.

5. Cav

Cav pfm Member

How sad.

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Some people don’t realise how expensive it is being a bigamist.

Weekender likes this.
  7. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Some people save £800 pa making really good coffee at home instead of buying from a cafe. Remarkable.

8. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I have two classics, the more common stainless steel version and an older retro brown plastic version. Both great machines. I also have a Rancilio Rocky grinder (heavier than the Gaggia) and two small grinders by Delonghi and Dualit.

9. twotone

twotone pfm Member

My current set up has cost me approximately £800, funnily enough. I mostly drink milk based coffees and I reckon that I can make one (latte or cappuccino) for about 40p tops.

I make mine with 15 grammes of good quality coffee beans, decent semi-skimmed milk and filtered tap water.

Think a similar quality latte or cappuccino in a decent cafe costs about £2.50-ish

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Thanks for the idiots' guide to the gaggia, missed this last time. Mine has been unused for ages, I never got on with it. I'm now inspired to have another go next weekend and establish it's working properly. If still no go I'll sell it and carry on with Nespresso and cafetiere coffee as at present.

11. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I used one for about seven years Steve, great machines and the original home espresso machine I believe, not great at steaming milk but you can make decent cappas with it.

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

That will suit me, I don't want to steam milk as I drink the stuff black. Alternatively I make up a cafetiere. Mrs SC67 likes cafetiere coffee made nuclear strong with a decent amount of hot milk, other guests I can work around. So all I really want the thing to do is make great espresso.

twotone likes this.
  13. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

The original Gaggia is the baby. I was looking to buy one about fifteen years ago when I was hunting for my first proper espresso machine.

Unfortunately by then the baby had been given a plastic shell, so I ended up with a Silvia, which made me an estimated 20,000 double shots over the years.

If you don't mind a steep learning curve and don't want to use it for entertaining, the La Pavoni Europiccola (the small one, not the ironically named professional model) will reward you with the occasional perfect shot that will blow your mind.

14. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

15. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I have a Delonghi magnifica. The bean to cup machines are ok for regular use, especially by those not so interested in the art of the perfect cup, but you can't beat a coffee from a proper espresso machine like the Gaggia Classic.
    I should also mention the Morphy Richards Roma machine which can be had very cheaply and has the same mech inside as the Dualit machine. I use the Roma at work and it has never missed a beat, makes a lovely shot and has a great steam wand for making microfoam milk.

16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

The problem with the sage machines is that you can’t repair them yourself when they’re out of warranty apparently, seems that you have to send them to a service Center who won’t sell you parts so if you’re going to buy a sage machine then you’re better off buying it from Lakeland who price match and have three year warranty on the machine, the perceived wisdom seems to be buy one from Lakeland and when the warranty runs out and you have a problem with the machine just scrap it and buy a new one.

That’s my understanding anyway.

17. cubastreet

I used to repair coffee machines. Mostly commercial ones but some consumer machines too.
    The sage (breville) and delonghi machines are basically disposable. They're a real pain to repair because they're not designed with that in mind. The thermoblocks fill up with scale and when that happens the parts and labour add up to roughly the cost of a new machine.
    If you want something that'll last longer than 3-5 years, go for at least Gaggia or rancilio.

twotone likes this.
  18. wacko

wacko pfm Member

The Rancilio Silvia costs £1,178 on Amazon. The Sage 810 costs £328. Not much point being repairable if it costs 3 1/2 times as much.
    So it looks more like Sage or Gaggia unless you go the Pavoni route.

19. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

I'm in a London pub my way back to Cheshire having picked up a 20 year old Pavoni that's in good working condition. I'm looking forward to learning how to use it, drink great coffee and service it. Pavs are great if you have the time to play with it and not need too many shots at once.

20. cubastreet