1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaggia Classic model differences?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I’ve just rediscovered the ad for my No.2 Pavoni that I bought about three years ago. I had forgotten what a bargain it was! The standby element had blown (still haven’t bothered fixing it) and there was mouldy water in the tank, but it came with spare baskets and the plastic cappuccino thingy, and once scrubbed up it was and has been excellent.

[​IMG]

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

be very careful with that retailer- read their T&Cs very carefully. Go read the reviews on UK coffee forums.....there is a a reason they offer lower prices than other retailers.

Yes Sage machines are effectively disposable, with the higher end ones have to be sent to the official repair. They are very well speced.

Rancillo are good, Gaggia Classics are ok but not what they were. Isomac are quite good E61 grouphead machines.

The Pavoni lever machines are ok, but they have very poor temperature stability, and it is somewhat of a knack to pull the money shot of an espresso. Some get the knack straightaway and find the machine a delight others get the knack eventually, but many dont.

twotone likes this.
  3. twotone

twotone pfm Member

4. gintonic

thought I saw your username on there?

As for the retailer, I tried communicating with them about a La Spaziale machine and didn't get very many straight answers.

5. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Aye I post occasionally, just sold my La Pavoni on there for spares or repair.

I prefer Home Barista to be honest, don't much like UKCF, too many cliques on there.

6. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Quite a lot on the net about Breville/Sage not honouring warranty and not providing parts to fix the machines: any truth in that ? Is Gaggia good on that score ?

7. twotone

twotone pfm Member

That does seem to be an ongoing theme if you read some of the threads on UK coffee forums, maybe not the honouring warranty part but certainly the not being able to buy parts bit seems to be the case.

The perceived wisdom, regarding buying Sage products, appears to be buy from Lakeland who provide three years warranty and will price match anyone including Amazon.

Gaggia are now owned by Phillips so I doubt there would be any problems with them.

8. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

9. avole

avole A wise man reflects

You can buy the later model, the v5 from 2018, for more or less the same price in France, 489€. Perhaps you can bargain a little?

Here's the review, anyway

10. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Are there any significant differences between the model versions, or is it just cosmetics?

11. avole

avole A wise man reflects

Looks like the site has been updated to say they're 2018 machines , only the URL says they're 2014, so check again with them, perhaps.

12. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

If you live in a soft water area, does this change things? How reliable is the Sage as a long term prospect if you don’t have issues with limescale?

13. gintonic

what do you consider long term? Machines like Gaggia and E61 group head machines, can be serviced easily and the availability of parts is good. Scale is the enemy of coffee machines.

My Isomac Zaffiro is about 13 years old, I service it myself, nothing serious has ever gone wrong with it - we live in a hard water area.

Regardless of how reliable the Sage machines are, you'll need a Sage engineer to fix it, if it goes wrong - that fact alone stops me from clicking buy. I was quite close to buying a Sage Dual boiler.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I’d say long term has to be more than 10 years. I am ideologically opposed to our disposable culture. I’d prefer 20+ years, but am a realist.

I’m not really in the market. I make a handful of cups of coffee a week, mostly at weekends, but I’m attracted to the Sage machines and could be tempted if I thought it stood a chance of being the last such machine I ever bought.

15. gintonic

The spec of the Sage machines on paper looks good and they appear to offer alot for the money. I read of some niggles on the UK coffee forums, which makes me think they might not be entirely reliable into the long time. I suspect that they'd be fine up to 5 years.

I am seriously put off that the only way to repair is by using Sage themselves. Other machines like Gaggia or others with E61 group head, have a plentiful supply of parts and a huge community of users and repairers.

16. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Very close to pulling the trigger on the Rancilio.
    The next question is about the grinder.
    The retailer is also selling a Rocky Non-Doser grinder as part of a bundle at what seems a vaguely reasonable price.

Are those grinders any good?

(BTW, my thanks for the input so far as I know virtually nothing on the subject)

17. gintonic

Pretty much the defacto recommendation for a good home user without getting crazy expensive. I have been using the dosing version for about 10 years, it has never missed a beat. I think the non dosing one is better as it doesn't leave behind a lot waste ground coffee in the dosing mechanism to get stale. I'd get a set of scales so you can measure the dose of coffee for consistency. Don't forget to ask the retailer to throw in a decent tamper.

Which retailer? and what prices?

18. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

19. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

Regarding the Rancilio Rocky, I have the dosing version and agree about wasting ground coffee as I only need it for no more than 2 or 4 doses at a time. Can you convert it to non dosing just by removing the mechanism...?

20. gintonic