1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaggia Classic model differences?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Oct 30, 2014.

1. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I think you can, but I think you might need some new parts so you have a portafilter holder and a spout to direct the grinds. If you google something like "modifying doser Rancilio Rocky" you might find some instructions.

After 10 years with the Rocky we are giving some serious thought to getting one of these https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

OK, we have a winner.
    Did some more reading about purchasing from MyItalia, which rather put me off. Apparently they're cheap, deliver next day, but God help you if you have a problem.

Then I did some more reading. Seems that the 2018 Gaggia Classic has been updated.
    For all that, I read that it doesn't make much difference to the coffee made. Lastly, that Gaggia themselves are knocking out the now "old model" at discount, meaning that you can buy them for a nearly the same price as Italia, but directly from Gaggia.
    As such, just ordered a 2015 model, grinder and metal tamper at a price £150 less than the newer 2018 Classic with grinder.

gintonic likes this.
  3. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Do you chaps have good recommendations on where to source coffee beans from?
    For ground coffee, I'm a fan of Columbian. Not sure how that translates into non-ground beans.

4. gintonic

Have a look at Hasbean https://www.hasbean.co.uk/ if you are lucky you might find a local roaster - where are you based?

5. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

I'm lusting after a Zero too. I'll come round to the £500 price tag given a little time. Shame they don't do it chrome to match my La Pav.

gintonic likes this.
  6. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I get beans from Pact, some arrived today, roasted on 4th Feb and packed on 5th Feb. "Villa Rubiella Espresso" from Colombia.

7. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I looked at the parts diagram for both as it shows the front plate without the attachments. All I would need is the little hood thingy and the chrome bar. Getting the doser off though will require me to remove the front plate which looks tricky...so I shan't bother.

8. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

Soft water would certainly help things, as does a regular descale.
    They're full of proprietary electronics, plastic tubes, clips etc. If these parts are available in five years, they could be any price. I'm sure many people get a good run out of them but I wouldn't consider them an option for more than a couple of years.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Thanks, I think you've probably saved me a grand!

gintonic likes this.
  10. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Thanks for the beans supplier suggestions. Looked at PACT and was ready to order, until their website tried to insist that I register a credit card with themselves. No thanks.

Have ordered from the Foundry Coffee Roasters, apparently based in Sheffield and received some beans roasted yesterday (nice timing).
    Can't try them until Sunday, which is when the missus get's her new coffee machine.

11. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I have one... they are wonderful things. The body is all cast aluminium so you could strip the finish and get it chromed.... you would have a unique object.

12. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

A question for the Gaggia classic owners here.
    When I make a coffee, I'm currently experiencing the following:
    - After pumping the water through the coffee filter, and turning off the "pump water" button, my machine continues to "leak" water through at a small rate. If put a cup underneath, somewhere in the region of half a cup of water
    - The unit has now started to continue to release steam from the wand
    I get the impression that being a 2015 model, that this is caused by the ball/spring mechanism not re-seating post using either of the functions to pump hot water/steam, thus allowing further release. To me, that would appear to be a genuine fault with the machine.

What's the view here, is this normal, or do you think I have a case for asking for a fix from Gaggia (it was bought directly from them).

13. gintonic

Ask here https://coffeeforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?16-Gaggia-Forum loads of experts

14. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ this is why people buy Nespresso machines.

cutting42 likes this.