1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Galvanic corrosion

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matt j, Mar 21, 2020.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I dunno, my experience of hub bearings is that they are easy enough. In extremis you just pull the bearing races apart and then grind the remaining jammed race *almost* through to the stub axle, then crack it with a chisel and remove the broken bits. Access is generally pretty simple. There are plenty of horrible jobs on cars though, it's true.

2. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

A good description of the bearing removal in theory; rust, a thin lip and no wish to damage the housing made the job difficult.

3. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Done that a few times....

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I've been lucky with bearings, never had a real horror. Brake discs more often, typically because of rusted fasteners that mean you can't dismantle the things. When you get the fasteners off, after much swearing, the old discs often have to come off in pieces.

5. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

A benefit of VW and Volvo the discs are held on by wheel bolts.

6. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Not quite - there's always a machine set screw to accurately locate the disc before you mount the wheel.

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I find them generally OK. Maybe have to smack them with an impact driver a few times but they go. The ones that get me are the caliper hangers or caliper bracket mountings, if they have been chewed in the past and/or the corners corroded off you can have a whale of a time.

8. martin clark

Blue, presumably, as in language..?

+1 to impact drivers, whether the simple/cheap hammer-driven type ( one of those , and a 2lb hammer & a judicious tap are especially-good on things like the large crossheads used on brake disc retaining screws as you say, or also door hinges if you want to tweak 'fit')

--. and a few years ago I bought a large mains-powered impact driver, >1kW motor: things a heavy beast - but far from breaking things, it's a bloody-brilliant tool - given the way such things work, there is actually very little reaction in your mitts; and the hard shock frees most things to date brilliantly, even if the receiving end isn't/can't be fully locked against rotation! - far less collateral damage than adding leverage and leaning on things that breaks them in bending/rounds the heads off, before they actually rotate.

You want the wheels off now? bzzt, done, all four before the kettle boils. Love it.

stevec67 likes this.
  9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Wow, a toy I don't own. Want one.

10. martin clark

@stevec67 then get one like this - cheap now!
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cew1000-electric-impact-wrench/

- pic is deceptive, it's a lumpy two-hand tool to use (clue: that's a 1/2" drive on the front end for scale). Utterly outstanding value, if you have a use for such.
    (& before anyone says - 'but my cordless impact claims to be rated that high' - nah, this will do it all.day.long, at half the price. I'd even reckon the rating is more than a bit conservative, given the things It's shifted for me)