1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Garrard 401 - Turning Over/Changing Records

Discussion in 'classic' started by Robert J, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Robert J

Robert J Active Member

Looking for thoughts/advice from Garrard 401 owners:

Do you turn off the motor to turn over or change records, or do you let it run and change on the fly?

The manual says is it is desirable to let the motor run for 10 minutes to reach normal operating temperature. But it also cautions not to hold the platter stationery while the motor is switched on.

In my experience with belt-driven tables (e.g., Rega and Thorens), there are times when trying to take a record off (particularly when records are a tight fit on the spindle or I am being clumsy) can result in slowing or even stopping the platter spinning, so I'm wary of that happening.

This is my first idler wheel turntable, so I just want to make sure I am not doing anything that is going to cause any problems.

2. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I leave mine running, however there's always a record or 2 that gets stuck, you'll know when you put it on and (hopefully) remember to switch off on those.

3. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Yes, I'm quite surprised at the disparity between spindle sizes on various turntables. I have five record decks, and they're all different. The Lenco 88 has the largest spindle and some LPs are really quite tight.

I have just taken delivery of my 401, and whilst the spindle isn't as tight as the Lenco, some records are a little hard to remove!

I've only had time for 4 x sides on the 401 so far, but I think I'll adopt the method of leaving the platter running. In actual fact, I find that tight records are easier to remove with the platter running!

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I always leave a deck running. If a record has a too tight centre hole the little white stylus brush that comes free with a Denon DL-103 (everyone has at least one, right?) is an excellent 'hole make biggerer' tool. Just jam it in the hole and wiggle it a bit from both sides and the hole is bigger with no damage to the label at all.

5. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Yes, I have done that on occasions, when the hole has a little burr, but the problem in enlarging the hole, when you have more that one turntable, is that it will then be loose on the others!

6. Mignun

Mignun pfm Member

I switch the 401 off when changing a record. As you say, the spindle is a bit thick so some LPs, particularly recent presses, get stuck. Also, I use the Loricraft cork/rubber mat and this doesn't allow LP slip like a felt mat. Speed stability seems fine when stopped for a short time and then started again. It's only the first 5 minutes from cold where some minor speed variance tends to occur.

7. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

I never switch my 301 off when changing a record. It's was designed to run continuously and barely slows as you grab the record.

Additionally, this makes it easier to remove the tight fit ones. If you just prise them up at the edges, they slide up the rotating spindle and then pop off!

8. Mignun

Mignun pfm Member

I concede, you are a braver man than I...

9. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich even my wife noticed the dif..

You need nerves of steel to get a clear vinyl 10" off a moving 301 mat! Do not attempt when intoxicated!