1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Genesis 2018 vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'music' started by Sgt pepper, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Purchased Selling England By The Pound. The first side was one of the worst pressings I have heard (strange whooshing sound on quieter moments), has anyone had the same problem?

PS
    Returned it for a replacement from HMV and it was the same?

2. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

Oh no...not again....

3. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Sound seemed OK, seems it is down to the actual pressing.

4. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Has no one purchased the Genesis reissues?

5. Nero

Nero It's unlikely

I was only interested in SEBTP when I heard about these releases, but maybe I'll hold fire now

Sgt pepper likes this.
  6. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Could be a bad batch of pressing. So that is why I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

7. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

No one purchased these ffs?

8. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

Leavers. Always so angry.

stephen bennett likes this.
  9. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

?

10. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

So no interest here in the new Genesis vinyl releases?

11. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Shame there is no interest in these on here. Being talked about quite a bit on other forums?

12. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I have them all on original vinyl—so of little interest I'm afraid.

Stephen

13. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

No interest In listening to the remixes, you might like them?

14. Ian Hughes

Ian Hughes pfm Member

I bought the second boxed set which included Trick of the Tail - appalling! The re-mix removed virtually all the mellotron, amplified the drums and the pressing was warped to boot. The others weren't as bad, but what was Nick Davies thinking when he committed those offences? The set went back for credit and I managed to find a reasonable original copy.

15. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

As far as i can see this is the first time these mixes have been released on vinyl, the mastering of the CD's were bad but nothing to do with the Nick Davies mixes, so you have me a little confused? :confused:

These are the half speed masters performed by Miles Showell @ Abbey Road.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  16. Ian Hughes

Ian Hughes pfm Member

The 180g version on Burning Shed does seem to be from the 2008 Nick Davis mix. Whether the mixing or mastering was at fault I don’t know, but it didn’t sound right.

“...
    Genesis's much-loved 1976 studio release on 180g heavyweight vinyl in gatefold cover art faithfully reproduced from its original source.

180g version featuring mastering from the 2008 Nick Davis mix. Includes a download voucher.”

17. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Ah right, but you said you had returned the box set, as far as I can see there wasn't one?

18. Ian Hughes

Ian Hughes pfm Member

Apologies. The 1976 - 1982 180g vinyl boxed set was bought in 2012 when the catalogue was re-mixed and re-mastered.

[​IMG]

Sgt pepper likes this.
  19. Theo

Theo pfm Member

These are re-released versions of the half-speed mastered set from 2008 (the Green Box). I have that set: in general they're good, though TLLDOB is a strange re-mix. Trespass comes out best, SEBTP seems to have different PG vocal tracks in parts (Foxtrot too).

As an alternative to the originals, they offer an interesting perspective, and sonically, they're top notch. However, I always end up back with my original first press issues when I want to listen to these albums.

Sgt pepper likes this.
  20. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Are there any desirable CD versions of the Gabriel era plus W&W & TOTT?