1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Genesis - Twin Peaks

Discussion in 'music' started by madmike, Feb 13, 2020.

1. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

I try to create intriguing thread titles...so yes, it's about the band Genesis. I have had the privilege of seeing them right from the early days, if you call 1973 early. There may be fishies here who can go further back to 72 or 71. I salute thee whomsoever thou art....
    I have always been especially fond of the early post Gabriel stuff like Trick and Wind and those stunning instrumental middle sections as in Ripples, Entangled, 11th Earl of mar and so on. Cinema show took on a new lease of life from a rather slow hollow sounding version on Selling England to an instrumental tour de force in the 1976 and 1977 tours. And those bass pedals.....
    But I have to say that "Supper's ready" is in my opinion the absolute peak of Genesis out of all their incarnations. I include "Horizons" as the introductory piece as well.
    But I don't want to ignore the Lamb which has a special place in many fans hearts. Taken as a whole it also represents Genesis at their peak.

2. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

They were my favourite band for a few years when in my teens in the 80s, and I remember clearly wishing I'd been born 15 years earlier so I could've seen them in the early 70s.

I came in at the Genesis album, loved that and worked backwards, but then like a few bands the new album that I was waiting for for what seemed like ages (though was likely 6 months or so) was a real disappointment.

I still went to see them at Wembley in '87 and it was a great gig, but Invisible Touch was the end for me. A couple of interesting tracks but still truly loathe the title track.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for me every time. That’s ‘the one’! The albums leading up to it optional and the stuff after it best avoided as far as I’m concerned (Seconds Out arguably being the exception). It was a fascinating decline to watch IMO as everyone who left took something essential away from the band eventually leaving very little left. Like removing sections of an orchestra but not ending up with a really cool string quartet. As a precocious ‘70s prog kid/early teen ...And Then There Were Three was my jumping-off point, I swiftly swapped that one for something else and never looked back. I still have a 1st press of Lamb Lies Down complete with its mains hum and it comes out for a spin now and again. In fact I played side one last week. It is a very good album.

4. TimF

TimF pfm Member

I tend to like a lot of it in general, from the Gabriel era through the last bit. I saw them on their Invisible Touch tour, and enjoyed the gig overall. Like many bands, I go through phases where I do not listen to them much, and then I pick it back up, dig into it and enjoy it. I really would have loved to have seen them in some of the early years though!

5. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Me! Me! Me! 1971, supporting VdGG, pre-light show, pre-costumes. I think I jumped ship after Foxtrot. I certainly don’t remember hearing any subsequent albums in their entirety.

stephen bennett and seagull like this.
  6. TimF

TimF pfm Member

It was what led me to Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings album which I liked a lot. Might have to dig that one out.

7. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

My first experience of seeing Genesis live was '76 at the Hammersmith Odeon when I think I'm right in saying they did 5 nights on the spin.
    I remember being absolutely blown away by the Hackett solo on Firth of Fifth and equally impressed with Bruford & Collins bringing to life the magnificent Cinema Show in a way that hadn't been achieved in the studio.
    Album wise it would be a toss up between Selling England or Foxtrot.

8. deebster

The day before I saw them at Wembley I saw Gabriel play at the NEC in Birmingham.

I was still spending my redundancy money from the year before so the next evening got a ticket from a nice Liverpudlian chap in a camel coat and saw Gabriel again. Got photos somewhere from when he went crowd-surfing.

9. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

Saw Genesis in Birmingham on the Lamb tour and again at Knebworth after Peter Gabriel had left. I also saw Peter Gabriel live on one of his early tours (I cannot remember which one though) and Phil Collins was a couple of rows in front of my wife and I.

10. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

I saw Genesis at de Montfort Hall in 1972/3 supported by String Driven Thing. My very first proper music concert. Went with some school chums. Brilliant night.

11. antinchip

antinchip pfm Member

Born in1961 I missed seeing Gabriel era Genesis live. However living next to Farnborough Technical College with two older brothers who came back from Genesis gigs there shouting "they did The Knife" and being able to feel the music through my bedroom window, Genesis seemed to become part of my DNA.

Saw them four times between '76 and '86, Gabriel a couple of times, and Steve Hackett probably six times, most recently the Genesis Revisited tour two or three years ago. I have tickets for his Seconds Out tour at New Theatre Oxford in November.

Meanwhile I went see The Musical Box tribute band at Bath Forum a couple of weeks back. Very good they were too. They are known to do "early" Genesis so I was a bit upset when I didn't recognise one track. Turns out it was from "and then there were three", all went downhill a bit after Hackett left. The Musical Box are touring the complete Lamb Lies Down show this time next year so I will probably go see that too.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  12. Simon Dawson

Simon Dawson Angry, Ill & Ugly

Must be an age thing - I think I'm about the same age as you TL, born mid '63 - and for me it's the Lamb pretty much exclusively, although I think the first album I bought was Seconds Out an cassette when I was 14.

13. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Only saw them in concert once, Liverpool Empire on the Duke tour. Saw Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel in the same venue.

stephen bennett likes this.
  14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I was just a kid when I first discovered prog, mainly in a friend’s big sister’s record collection. I think I heard them in roughly the order Nursery Cryme (which is the other one I quite like though sold my rare ‘pink scroll’ copy decades ago), Foxtrot (which kind of annoys me, that one has a pretention that even a double album about a bloke mislaying his penis lacks), and then Lamb Lies Down which is ‘the one’ as far as I’m concerned. I remember buying A Trick Of The Tail new pretty much when it came out, so I’d only have been 13 at that point (76). Reevaluating them now the ones I’d keep were obviously Lamb Lies Down, then Nursery Cryme and maybe Seconds Out, which despite lacking Gabriel does serve as a better recorded retrospective of the earlier stuff. I currently have more than that (Foxtrot, Lamb and Trick on 1st press vinyl, most of the stuff up to Seconds Out on 1st issue CD), but I view it as inessential.

I was a bloody weird kid as, T. Rex aside, I didn’t really like pop music (I come from a classical music only family), so somehow jumped straight into prog and space-rock. It wasn’t until new-wave in 1979-80 that my tastes started to change, but by then I’d thoroughly explored stuff like Hawkwind, Man, Nektar, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Gong, Yes, Genesis, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Groundhogs etc. Still got/re-bought a lot of it.

PS FWIW if anyone reading this is looking to back-catalogue Genesis on digital the first issue CDs with the boarders around the artwork and large title text are by far the best sounding, the remasters and remixes sound pretty dreadful to my ears. Just ‘wrong’. The early albums just don’t sound very good regardless (Selling England is the first half-decent recording IMO, and they get better from there Lamb being very good), but at least the early CDs sound the way they should. They at least sound like the albums always did at the time.

15. Theo

Theo pfm Member

Completely with Tony here: TLLDOB is my Genesis 'sweet spot': it's probably my favourite album ever, flaws and all...

I came to Genesis in 72 with a 'Charisma Keyboards' compilation. it contains 'Fountains of Salmacis', which I thought was absolutely wonderful. However, I was in my 'rock' phase (Purple, Zep, Quo, etc) with a dash of Bowie/Bolan/Roxy etc. and I didn't catch up with Genesis again until late '73 and 'Selling England'. I was hooked. For a 14-year old from a dull northern town, they were other-worldly. In this context, 'The Lamb' was such a departure for both them and what I was used to hearing. Hard to believe that the band members were 22-23 when they recorded it.

Sad to think that this was their zenith (TOTT & W&W very good but lacking the Gabriel magic): 'Seconds Out' is a fabulous live record (even though it relegates Hackett's guitar parts somewhat, and should have been a triple album), but nothing that follows - for me - compares to those early albums.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  16. BJP

BJP Pink is the new Blue

My favourite all time track by any band is The Musical Box it just hits the spot in many ways , I'd have to go for Selling England as my favourite Genesis album , like many I lost a bit of interest after Hackett left , Duke wasn't bad .

17. GJO

GJO pfm Member

18. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I have all of Genesis' albums (bar 'Duke' - weird) but for me there isn't one 'go to' album where they got everything right ('Trespass' gets close). They all have some good stuff and some utter t*ss so I tend to have an iPod playlist.

'We Can't Dance' and 'Then There Were Three' are pretty duff but even they have a couple of good moments, 'Driving the Last Spike' from about 5 minutes in after the tedious slow bit has a bit of 'oomph'.

I reckon these are the most played tracks of theirs:

Never got on with Hackett - apart from 'Clocks' which is *the* Moog Taurus showcase. I was more of a fan of Ant Phllips - anyone else here like his stuff?

19. deebster

Interesting that The Lamb is regularly popping up as a favourite. It's probably the album I am least familiar with as the double CD I lent to a mate never came back, so it must be 30 years since I've listened to anything other than the odd excerpt.

Has time been kind to it or were the reviews just not? My memory from the music press when I used to read it is that it was regarded as a bit of a fail.

20. Fuller

Fuller pfm Member

Here is the setlist https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-musical-box/2020/the-forum-bath-england-5398f7b5.html
    Wish I'd gone myself now.