1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

George Benjamin

Discussion in 'classical' started by wacko, May 5, 2019.

1. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Caught the end of a documentary on him. Very interesting, very English and obviously very talented. Put his name in Search here and nothing: no love for his works here ?

2. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

I've heard some of his music and it had its moments that were interesting and atmospheric - but its never going to be popular, or even much heard outside a narrow Avant-garde set. I think he studied in Paris with Messiaen & unfortunately also with Boulez, so probably beyond redemption now. His recordings of Messiaen's music with the Concertgebouw are pretty good.

3. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

By coincidence someone just gave me a recording of him playing Stravinsky, Debussy and Scriabin (hardly avant garde!) at the Elbphilharmonie in March - PM me of you want it.

4. Tantris

Tantris pfm Member

I began to take an interest in Benjamin's music because of his connection to Messiaen, but found most of what I heard rather underwhelming. The piece that really works for me the ravishing and ethereal Dream of the Song, for countertenor, chorus and orchestra. I heard this in Paris, conducted by Daniel Harding, along with some Wagner and Brahms, and I think it can be found on youtube. I might try his opera Written on Skin if it is performed again.