1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gigs you regret not going to, or missed

Discussion in 'music' started by JensenHealey, May 20, 2020.

1. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Along with the best best gigs you went to...what about the ones you missed, or regretted not buying, or missed the bus so never got there.

I really regret not ever seeing Supertramp
    same for ELP

2. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

Yeh, early July 1975 - it was either going on a date or watching Hawkwind - much to my chagrin I chose the date, which soon fizzled out.

3. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Japan, Birmingham 1982, which would have been my first ever gig but fell out with my friend before it so never went.

Andy White, Glastonbury 1990, but then I was in the main field watching The Cure in my best gig evah.

Love and Money, Birmingham 1988. Argued with unstable girlfriend on the way home from work, so I turned round and went to the Royal Mail pub round the corner from the venue and got hammered.

Seeing so many posters for local Carter USM gigs from the late 80s but despite the positive press coverage not going along to see what all the fuss was about.

Staying in the bar and missing The Blue Aeroplanes supporting REM at the Birmingham NEC, 1991.

4. Smiths at the Lyceum in about 83(?) I went but was in my own and about 16 in that London on a Sunday night so was worried I wouldn’t be able to get home so left before they came on

Also the Smiths again at a GLC do by the Thames in about 84 when I got tangled up in the NF or British movement rioting and storming the stage when the Redskins were playing...kinda took the gloss off the day and left before they came on

5. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Not seeing Dylan due to the inconsiderate twat having a heart attack and cancelling... Prob about '96 ish and IIRC was to have been at St James Park (maybe The stadium of shite though...). Alternative tickets were offered and then GF loved INXS so a few months later we ended up going to Manchester to see them, about 2 weeks before Hutchance died...

6. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

I bought tickets to see The Blue Nile at The Hexagon in Reading (around 2000) but it was cancelled - I would have loved to have seen them.
    A couple of gigs this autumn that I have tickets for (slight variation on the thread title) that I now probably won't go to - Pineapple Thief & Tangerine Dream.

7. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Was not Was at Nottingham had to go to someone’s 21st hardly any one turned up so had a boring night.

Pete

8. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Last show of Tradgically Hip in their home town back in 2016.
    Last show as the singer knew he was going to pass away soon because of brain cancer.
    Could not attend as I was on a business trip !!!!!
    A friend of mine attend and this was the only time in his life he saw 50 000 persons crying all together when he was singing ´Long time running ´ : emotion at its best !

9. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Catch A Fire Tour, Lancaster University 28th April 1973. Didn't go 'cos Reggae was "Skinhead Music" :rolleyes:. Caught Marley in Bristol, June '76 but by then the Wailers were in name only!

10. herb

herb music live

Pretty Things. It was them or the Yardbirds on the same night, I chose wrong

Captain Beefheart's Magic Band. It snowed and I could not get to it

Pharoah Sanders. He got ill and cancelled the tour

11. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Blimey, where do I start?

I bought tickets to see Bjork at the Castlford Arena, Manchester International Festival, 5th July, 2015. I was working on Anglesey at the time, so the plan was, to go to the gig and then drive to Angelsey afterwards. Inevitably, I got stuck on the M25, so was running a bit late, but the truth is, I chickened out, because over the years, I have suffered some anxiety in crowded places. So, when I got to the M6, instead of going straight on, I went down the M54 instead: what a twat! The worst of it is, that the gig was sold out and it was only when I got an email to say that some more tickets were availble, that I was able to buy one! Mind you, my wife and I went to see her at the Eden Project a few years later, 9th July 2018 and it was one of the worse gigs I've ever been to; such a disappointment! I know I’m in a minority, because it got rave reviews, but it was so pretentious, with its cheap tacky stage props and everything that could go wrong, went wrong; the stage curtains wouldn’t go up, the screen visuals didn’t work properly and I could go on. The best of the gig was the encore, when she playe The Anchor song and Notget, which were much simpler and TBH I wished that the whole set was like that!

[​IMG]

12. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Van Morrison 1973 - cancelled
    Steely Dan 1973 - cancelled
    REM 1994ish - cancelled

When I eventually did see the Dan some 20+ years later it came under the heading of ‘Gigs you regret going to.’

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I had a ticket to see Thomas Dolby in Liverpool in the early ‘80s and totally forgot to go. Did the same thing last year with a classical gig at the RNCM, can’t even remember what that was now, a couple of violin concertos I think. It was only a fiver so not a huge deal, but annoying as I must have set the reminder on my iPad wrongly (I don’t expect to remember anything these days).

14. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

I was just about old enough (nearly 15) and interested in Modern Jazz and lived fairly close to Walthamstow so I regret not going to John Coltrane's concert at the Walthamstow Granada on 17th September 1961. One of just a very few dates he played in the U.K. on this European tour and the only time he played in the U.K.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  15. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Good idea for a new thread.;)

16. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Early REM.
    XTC
    Radiohead.
    But then I did see Japan in their prime, Peter Gabriel, the Genesis seconds out tour, Prince a few times, Jellyfish, & many others so hey some you win..........

17. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

I don't want to be pedantic but it was actually the 'Wind & Wuthering' tour.:)

18. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

True, but to me the live gig/tour transcended the W&W album & back then I was very Impressionable so the event made a mark on me more so than the W&W album did. Hence my slip of accuracy!

webster likes this.
  19. billo

billo pfm Member

Not going to see Talking Heads play at Erics, would have been the best 50p spent ever!

mikechadwick likes this.
  20. Joolzdee

Joolzdee pfm Member

Mate at school (way back when) was a mod and a big fan of The Jam, The Specials and UB40. Would have been 1979/80.
    He pestered me to go and see the above bands at the Liverpool Royal Court Theatre and Liverpool Uni as he had no-one to go with.. but in those days I was into heavy metal and nothing was going to persuade me to set foot in those gigs...
    My loss