1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Glasto 2019

Discussion in 'music' started by gintonic, Jun 27, 2019.

1. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Yeah Tony I said as much , given modern multilayered production it was pretty inevitable there would be some for sure and she and her set was amazing but contrasting the oh so live and breathless from dancing Christine & the Queens main vocal there were parts that were just too clean and dubious lip syncing to my eyes n ears- god Im turning into my Dad !

2. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Really enjoyed The Cure, thought Kylie was pure class, searching for footage of the Love Unlimited synth orchestra....

andy831 likes this.
  3. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

OK enough of this. Firstly since leaving SAW Kylie has written and co-written a lot of her own material. She has gone on to be far more successful than even her early career and is still here 30 years later. She clearly can sing as in hold a tune as I have heard her do so both live and on the likes of Later, you may not like her voice, but she can sing! About ten years ago I got given a ticket for one of her tours at MEN Arena as a friend worked there and I went not knowing what to expect. What I saw was a consummate professional enjoying what she does and entertaining the entire audience, myself included. Is it deep, groundbreaking, profound life changing music? No! Does that matter? No! I enjoyed it so much I went again on the next tour and paid for it this time and again it was a fantastic show! I don't own any of her music and probably never will, but I think she has earned her place as a pop icon and good luck to her. On top of all that whenever I have seen or heard her interviewed she comes across as a gracious down to earth individual who you is genuinely interested in other people rather than just wanting to talk about herself... compare and contrast to the likes of Liam Gallagher!

In terms of Glastonbury there are many many stages, if people didn't want to watch Kylie they had plenty of options... given how many were there in front of her I'd say the Eavis's got it right.

foxwelljsly, deebster and irons1965 like this.
  4. andy831

andy831 pfm Member

Kylie will never be a quality singer, her dance moves are also a bit dodgy at times, but in the context of Sunday afternoon of a three day festival she was the perfect act and undoubtedly a good "entertainer" very easy on the eye too for gentlemen of a certain age.

Overall I was quite disappointed with the stuff on iplayer, I don't get the grime or rap thing, I also struggle with most of these modern jazz acts and have a feeling that most of the stuff that I actually like took place on the mostly undocumented stages such as the acoustic stage, but hey there was a few gems for me, I am only a few minutes into Aurora's set, she seems to have a good voice and I have enjoyed it so far, similar comment about Freya Riding, I plan to watch Fatoumata Diawara, Dermott Kennedy, Mavis Staples and Goat Girl over the next couple of days.

5. Conan

Conan Loop digger

I tried but I just cant get this Kamasi Washington.
    I found some parts of it quite painfull to ear but rather enjoyed The Comet is Coming and Roy Ayers

Zagreus likes this.
  6. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

To be fair to Kamasi Washington, the sound mix on the BBC feed was fairly poor, which given the quality of the mix on other feeds, suggests that the FOH engineer was having an off day. The sound was a flat wall of noise with the (very good) vocalist struggling to be heard. His gigs are usually very dynamic with a far more balanced, well integrated and subtle presentation of the music.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It got a lot better after a very chaotic start sound wise and benefited from being played a bit louder than I would normally. My TV sound goes through a pair of Klipsch La Scalas and in this context it sounded good with a surprising amount of punch and heft to the bass and drums. Kamasi’s sax tone is just getting better and better IMO. The bit that fell a bit flat was his dad’s alto sax, though I suspect that was nerves rather than sound mix.

8. Conan

Conan Loop digger

I have a Sonos Beam for TV duties but for Glasto I connected the Nait 2 and Royd Merlins.
    The sound quality was excellent with plenty of bass (I have a small room). The Cure in particular were very tight and clean.
    But, as already mentioned here, the more complex the bands , the more difficult it was to get the mix right

cooky1257 likes this.
  9. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Chris was excellent, as usual. For an example of how to do synth led music live, she is well worth a listen. (I'm biased, anyway).

10. glenda

glenda pfm Member

I managed to catch with the set by the excellent This is the Kit on the iplayer- the crowd was a bit sparse but their appearance coincided with that of Kylie.
    Warning for the uninitiated , the set does include extensive use of the banjo , but played to great effect. Some great whistling at 40 minutes on the intro to "Two Wooden Spoons".

Cheers

Tony

11. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Does anyone know how the BBC feed is produced? I assumed they'd be taking splits from the stage box and mixing that with ambient/crowd mics.

12. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Nowt to do with the BBC. All the major festival sites have been wired to distribute through a center in exotic Atherstone, the BBC are just showing you their feed. The guy who owns the distribution company used to own SSE.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  13. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I listened to the latest The Comet Is Coming release earlier today on Qobuz and was impressed. Not the energy of the live performance, but highly enjoyable. Released on Impulse too, so they must be a 'real' jazz band.

14. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

That's interesting - thanks. Do you know how the feed is mixed?

15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Nothing to do with the question your asking, but in terms of channels it seemed to be straight stereo rather than 5.1. I think this could be an event that would benefit from surround sound to 'put you' in the audience.

16. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

I did the same on Sunday and ordered it yesterday.... Coming tomorrow :)

17. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

CD or LP?

18. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

LP. The only CDs I've bought even remotely recently are the Bob Dylan Rolling Thunder set and only because the LP "equivalent" wasn't... :)

Stunsworth likes this.
  19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Its on Impulse (as are Sons Of Kemet). Great to see cutting edge new stuff still appearing on such a legendary label.

20. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

The Comet is Coming have stuff on Tidal, found via Roon. I shall listen that way when I get the urge. Last night I played the second half of the Glastonbury set on iplayer. You have to find it via the search box, it does not seem to come up on the Glastonbury ‘channel’