1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Glastonbury 2011 thread

Discussion in 'music' started by zener, Jun 24, 2011.

1. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

30 years more like;1982 He da man who coined da phrase.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  2. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Disappointing there's no mention of Kraftwerk (and their undoubted European) influence here though?

3. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Using Glastonbury (and the BBC coverage of same) to decide the pros and cons of UK vs US music - is err utterly stupid!

4. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

What a fantastic track.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  5. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

x2...:cool:

6. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

More from Wiki....

"Derrick May identified the influence of Kraftwerk and other European synthesizer music in commenting that "it was just classy and clean, and to us it was beautiful, ".[26] ... Beyond Europe, another influence was Japan's Yellow Magic Orchestra (1978-83),[5][28] whose music has been described as "proto-techno"[29][30] and who had used the term "techno" for several songs such as "Technopolis" (1979);

But who influenced Kraftwerk? Can, Bowie, Stockhausen etc, and so it goes.

7. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

I think it was the other way about regarding Bowie....Now if you had said The Beach Boys.....;)

8. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Yep, you're right.

9. SCIDB

SCIDB Triode Man

Hi Jack,

Strings of life was one of big techno tune of it's day. A lot of these early techno tunes were more popular up north than down south.

Techno comes from Juan Atkins, who was the pioneer.

SCIDB

10. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Total & utter nonsense Rich (& a more nonsensical post Ive not read on pfm for a while): it is -entirely- reasonable. Glasto is the premier UK music festival and boiling all the huge no of acts down/ disregarding the big pop aces and non-UK acts etc etc/ it the very showcase for the current state of UK music. You cannot get a better barometer, and so base on which to discuss the pros and cons of UK music. Similarly so SXSW/ the current state of US music. One only has to read the respective lineups to see how poor glasto is this year, and the absolutely enormous gulf in quality between the two.

11. ErikL

ErikL I like pierogies.

Glastonbury= Lollapalooza. All sh!t bands headlining (Coldplay, Eminem, Foo Fighters for '11).

SxSW- lots of people doing deals, biz dev, scouting, A&R, etc. Plus, it includes music, films, games, new media, etc.

12. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Why does it matter which piece of soil music comes from?

13. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

My comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek, but if we're talking about 'better', who gets to decide on that, and by what criteria?

14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I had one. bloody unreliable

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Tony I find it useful for important phone calls where I need to impress, say to the bank manager or the boss etc. It lends your voice extra gravitas, makes your home sound palatial. I recommend it. Also if you put it in the processor loop of !*$£ amps it improves their sound immeasurably with a bigger soundstage and greater ambience

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I don't agree at all. With the exception of the token gesture of the BBC Introducing stage it is corporate mainstream pretty much all the way these days, especially via the TV coverage. It does not represent the state of current music in any way, e.g. where was the dubstep, D&B, electronica, grime, dance etc? And no, 20+ year old has-beens like The Chemical Brothers don't count! From the TV viewer's perspective Glastonbury is just a three-day version of Later With Jools Holland, it is no more a barometer of anything than the most recent Tom Jones album. Cutting-edge new music has never existed on a £180 festival ticket and never will do - if you pay more than a fiver to see a band the chances are they are already passed it!

Tony.

17. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Tony, you are disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing- that's all. I am not talking about the bbc coverage here, that has been discussed and is plain as day its just big act bllx (& that defo includes beyonce;-). Glastonbury proper still represents UK music perfectly well, in particular the Introducing Stage, John Peel Stage, to a lesser extent the Acoustic Stage, and even lesser extent the smaller occasionally (almost devoid of any talent whatsoever now tho) interesting band on one of the main stages. You are just being obdurate.

18. Anex

Anex Señor Member

If people insist on pursuing this silly argument, and it seems they do insist, until the US produces a better band than Cardiacs, which they won't, the UK is out in front as they are the best pop band since the Beatles; even pipping the Boo Radleys to the post.

19. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

An unnoquivocally important argument if you care about the (dire imo) state of our music over here in 2011. Every countries' music since, well 1920 prolly, has had to live up to the US in terms of quality. All fall short bar us here in England, mid 60's to early 80's we were ~ on a par, and with The Stones/ Beatles were actually ahead of course for a good few years too. Now we're 20 years behind.

Boo Radleys! just the name makes me cringe.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I guess in blues and jazz the US owned the market pretty much outright. One possibly could argue the same with soul, funk and rap too. Rock music, which I assume is your sole interest is far more evenly distributed, and I'd argue that a fair bit of the more interesting 'rock' or 'indie' stuff of recent years comes from Scandinavia, Japan, Germany and other less likely locations. Trying to find 'another Smiths' or whatever really is the wrong line of thought, to my ears the most interesting stuff of recent years is electronic - that's where the zeitgeist lies these days. The notion that there's been nothing good from the UK since the Boos (whom I know, and know would giggle profusely at the thought) is utterly preposterous IMO.

Tony.