1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Greg Timbers interview

Discussion in 'audio' started by cooky1257, Mar 10, 2017.

1. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

What exactly is a Minger? (Answers which would not upset the Equality and Diversity officer please)

2. mattgbell

mattgbell Stop worrying!

The Mingers are the ones with the wave-bending diaphragms.

3. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

The room was suffering from a really pernicious standing wave, which affected almost everything they played, they could have treated it of course...
    Keith

4. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

Oh totally. Or, perhaps, this is what makes most threads interesting.

Julf--I don't have the time or inclination to dig up about 300 of your (often quipping) posts, but if you want to, all the "measured data" is there.

5. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

I was hoping we could get back to discussing the actual topic instead of the endlessly repeating attacks directed at the person making a statement instead of the actual content of the statement.

We weren't discussing quipping, What I asked for was pointers to things I have written that led you to believe I think that "measured differences are the only way to correctly affirm what someone's (often lying) ears are telling them, and that people believe in hoo-hah ONLY".

I have to surmise that you don't have any evidence for your claim, so how about moving on and getting back on topic?

6. Werner

Werner pfm Member

Peter Sellers lives!!!

7. adamdea

adamdea You are not a sound quality evaluation device

8. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I have only just noticed this thread (thanks for posting Cooky as I'd not seen that interview). I opened it expecting some cool discussion on peoples experience of Greg Timbers designs.

Have anyone here actually heard any of his classic designs in full flight either domestically or in studios?

It's interesting he mentions dynamics so often in that interview. That's exactly what draws me to his (and similar) designs and why I reject alot of modern expensive designs. I don't think I listen to music all THAT loud but alot of modern designs compress/bass distort even at what I would call reasonable domestic levels....where's the 'vibe' in that?

cooky1257 likes this.
  9. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

GT from Andy's link in the other JBL thread; The 4367 is a good system for those who like the large Monitor format. It measures well, sounds detailed and musical but is lean in the bottom octave as are all of the post 1985 or so "Japan" product. The speed and excess excursion capacity of these systems makes them good candidates for EQ, or for the proper use of a subwoofer, say below 40 Hz. They do have a "live music" sound that is most difficult to achieve purely with direct radiators. If you are looking for an Audiophile loudspeaker with 3-dimensional imaging, a warm mellow midrange and no dynamics at all, look elsewhere. Without using the words Distilled Water you might look at another Harman brand if you are seeking elegant, luscious elevator music.

10. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor