1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Grounding tags on phono stages.

Discussion in 'audio' started by ciderglider, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Would someone be kind enough to explain the rationale for grounding tags on phono stages? Why take an extra ground lead from the turntable?

2. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Used to be important to control mains interference so you would have grounding points on amp and TT as well.

I haven't used an earth lead for years, i think the TT motor is isolated by the power supply as is the phono amp.

My current pre weighs about 5 times as much as the last integrated i had with earth tab so i reckon that has a better power supply too.

general routine was to connect / disconnect if you had a bit of hum.

3. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

It allows you to run an earth/shield from the tonearm that isn't input directly into the differential stage that drives the amp, so it 'can' reduce noise.

4. DougBradyHiFi

DougBradyHiFi pfm Member

The grounding lead/tag is usually connected to the tone-arm tube/metalwork within the arm structure. It earths the pipe of the arm and shields the 4 wires that carry the low signal from the cartridge. The cables that exit from the base of the arm to the phono plugs are normally shielded anyway, but without the separate lead the internal wires pick up interference, especially if you touch the arm/headshell-you then act as an aerial and make the hum even louder. In some circumstances, usually with moving coil cartridges, leaving off the separate tag/lead makes no difference because of the very low coil resistance of the cartridge(a few ohms). This almost short circuits the phono stage input and 'dumps' the interference directly to signal ground, this is normally connected internally to the chassis/earth terminal within the circuitry.

5. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Thanks. I have low output MCs on both decks...

6. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Thanks to all for the learned replies.