1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matthewr, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve just bought another Rat (eBay)! Yay! \o/ I’m pretty sure it is a ‘real’ one, i.e. US Made with a LM308 chip, so whilst not as early/valuable as the ‘80s one I seem to have misplaced it should sound right. Annoyingly its in Japan, so I’ll no doubt get hit with duty, but it was only £66 quid with free shipping, which is a good deal and even once I get stung for customs isn’t much over the price of the current inferior Chinese ones.

3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I've been thinking of trying one these Audient interfaces for a while now - anyone got one?

4. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

At last something I know something about! :)

In effect, I've got most of this already. I have an Audient interface (the smallest one, the ID4) which I would highly recommend. I also have the Two Notes Wall of Sound plug in which has as all the cab sim, IR loader, power amp sim, room sim, etc. It looks and works exactly like the stuff they show in the video except on your computer in a DAW or a VST hoot. I use the free version of https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/. WoS is free is you buy a couple of their IRs (so about £12 gets you 2 free IRs + the two you pick)

So the Sono question becomes:

1. Is the 12AX7 based preamp worth it?
    2. Is latency a problem with the cheaper software solutions?
    3. Is the convenience of the one box + 1 & 2 worth the £400?

On question 1 I am not convinced but this is based on my setup which goes:

guitar > drive pedals > preamp pedal > delay/reverb/trem pedals > ID4 DI > Wall of Sound (power amp/mic/cab/room sim) > monitors

and this sounds great to me and has zero latency problems. This is my sit and play along to my favourite records or play loud on headphones solution at the moment and I am very happy with it. I don't use a DAW or record. I do though have a modern beefy desktop PC and latency might be a problem with laptops or older hardware? I can use my guitar amp (i.e. add a "real" 12AX7 preamp and tone stack) but to be honest I never bother.

One thing worth saying about the Audient interfaces is the DI ports are "designed to replicate the input stage of a classic valve amplifier" so maybe that is adding something to the mix? I have certainly had more success with this root since I swapped a Scarlet Solo for the Audient.

The other thing I would say about the Wall of Sound plug in is that, unlike the trial of Bias FX I tried, it works flawlessly with my real pedals. I.e. 95% of the tone comes from guitar and pedals and the software bit is really just adding IR for cab and room reverb.

So I guess question #3 really depends on your context? For a bedroom noodler like me, not really, but if you were more of a professional and/or recording then your mileage may vary.

gavreid likes this.
  5. matthewr

Oh one more thing. You could possibly do this with one of the Two Notes cab sim pedals into an interface but unless you already have an interface you like this would be getting close to the Sono price wise. But it's worth considering if you have latency problems from any plug-in.

6. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I've been using a Focusrite for a while, which is quite good, ignoring the headphone out, but I quite like the idea of having a device on the pedal board with all the settings in one place. It's a massive pain getting up to go to the computer while playing.

7. matthewr

Then the two notes pedals might also work. Although the pricing and and line-up is some what confusing not least as Andertons seems to give you a choice of prices!

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/two-notes/two-notes-torpedo-cab-pedal (£343)
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/...orpedo-cab-pedal-bundle-w-free-extra-cabinets (£259 with 2 extra cabinets!).

I wonder if the £259 price is a reduction after the launch of the Sono?

Then there is this one which appears to be the same but in a smaller form factor for £250: https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/two-notes/two-notes-torpedo-cab-m-pedal

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Thanks. My Friedman has a speaker emulated line out, with the ability to play the amp silently into the interface, but no ability to tweak it. It's one reason I bought the amp and is a fantastic feature (I see the new Suhr PT15 has it now too), but it's about turning the amp on and warming up each time etc etc before my fatigue takes over and my fingers decide not to move any longer. More convenience without a compromise on sound quality, extra hiss etc...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  9. imarks

imarks Ian Marks

I've been practicing my bass with a few friends (guitar, keys and vox) for a while now and got to the point where we could conceivably call ourselves a band!

Anyway, someone heard us practicing the other day and asked us to play at a tennis club social event. We only play covers of other people's music and it occurred to me that we might need to get permission from the copyright holders if we were to play publicity.

Does anyone know how all this works? Do we need some sort of licence? We won't be being paid if that makes a difference.

Cheers
    Ian

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It is the venue that needs a PRS license, not the band. You’d only get into trouble if you try to sell a covers record or CD without appropriate songwriting/publishing clearance etc, other than that its all down to the venue.

FireMoon likes this.
  11. imarks

imarks Ian Marks

Thanks Tony, make sense. I'm sure the tennis club would have a licence as they often have live music.

--Ian

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Arse. The seller (a Japanese shop) had already sold it, so I’ve just taken a refund... and within about 25 minutes spent more than twice as much on another Rat! Lets hope this one turns up! I don’t blame the Japanese seller, I’ve made similar mistakes with records and he was very apologetic and me offered a later one (too late, would have had the wrong chip).

It really irks me as I’m 95% sure I still own one. I can’t recall selling it, but I also can’t remember seeing it since my little studio back in about ‘93, so chances are it went in the utter chaos when that went.

Its a bloody stupid amount of money for an old FX pedal, and I’d not normally be such a snob, but they do sound better than the current ones and that seems to be about the going rate for a reasonably tidy one. My original one would be worth a good chunk more as it was definitely ‘80s as I bought it second hand in 1990 from someone I was teaching Cobol to of all things. IIRC I paid £80 for it, a Wem Copycat and a Boss flanger (that would have been worth a bit too as it would have been a Japanese one! I never liked it much so swiftly moved that on, the Rat and knackered Copycat were the fun things there!).

I’ve now got far too many FX pedals so a couple can go, certainly the Boss DS-1 (old enough to be through-hole, so a good modification candidate) and I’ve also got a BB-1X which is a fancy bass overdrive I never use (I bought it to see if I could get that Miles Davis Jack Johnson/Bitches Brew bass sound. I couldn’t). Rat, Blues Driver, DD-7 sounds like a good pedal board to me. Well, until I talk myself into a Space Echo...