1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matthewr, Jun 14, 2019.

1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

My Roland JC-22 arrived today (ahead of Covid-19 schedule). In a nutshell, it sounds clean like I've never heard clean before. Even when I crank all the knobs up on my Gibson SG it's still as clean as a whistle. A thicker sound, perhaps. But fuzzy or distorted? Not in the slightest.

It took a while to find the settings I like because with it being so clean, and me living in a flat with neighbours all around, it was surprisingly difficult to find the right sound at the right volume. Admittedly, I didn't sleep well last night and I'd had a long day at work so maybe the difficulty in finding the right sound at the right volume was all in my head if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll keep the amp - although I really need to get a good night's sleep before I make a decision. But what I can say for sure is, it seems very much to be a marmite amp: you'll either love its uber clean tones or you won't. Hopefully, I'll love them in the morning. And it's definitely not a do-it-all amp, at least, not without an effects pedal or two. Oh, and one more thing: it's loud as fcuk :)

gavreid likes this.
  2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

it's loud as fcuk is important - enjoy ;)

windhoek likes this.
  3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

If you want just a little bit of fat/crunch/sag/compression just stick a BD-2 Blues Driver (or any of about 8 million boutique equivalents) upstream. I don’t play loud enough to get anything other than perfectly clean out of my 6 Watt Rift, but the BD-2 fixes that without appreciably adding distortion (though it can do that if you want).

FWIW I just seem to want three stages: perfectly clean, BD-2 crunch, and Rat filth.

4. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I love the ZenDrive most of the time into the clean channel of my amp, then I have that into Nobels for more gain. I like it for lack of compression actually, I have a compressor pedal too to dial in if I can be arsed.

5. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I use a preamp pedal for my base sound, because something like the Benson has all that harmonic richness and touch sensitivity you are meant to need valves for and because my little Blackstar is a nice little amp but has it's limits (it's a bit boring and I don't like the drive channel at all). But preamp pedal is basically acting like a clean / edge of breakup channel and swapping them around is like getting a new amp.

In TPS style I run two gain stages into the preamp, so a dirty/coloured boost into a wide range distortion that acts like the second channel of a two channel amp. The various gain pedals are all kept quite low so you can stack them without running out of headroom and get very different sounds. My gain pedals are a Tumnus and an OCD although forthe dirty boost, I sort of wish I had bought a Greer Lightspeed instead or maybe that Josh Smith Lovepedal one with the funny name (Tchua or something).

This is of course the equivalent of someone putting a spoiler and super sporty tyres on their Mondeo to knock two secs of his trip to Tesco :)

6. windhoek

Yeah, I think I'll buy a pedal of some sort for the Roland amp. The thing is, I've never used a pedal in my life as electric guitars are fairly new to me: I've just been strumming and picking my acoustic and classical guitars for years and years.

Where does one start when it comes to pedals - a simple on/off distortion pedal? A pedal simulation board thingy? A wah-wah whatsit pedal?

7. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

8. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

It hurt me when Geddy stopped playing Wal basses ;-)

Never got the Rick thing, played a couple recently and did not take to them at all. Also Rickenbacker have been EXTREMELY aggressive chasing down all potentially fake Rick basses on all sources, shops, online websites and especially Bass forums. Every bass forum I am aware of have banned the sale of any Rick’s fake or otherwise as the litigious nature of the company means they cannot risk being caught facilitating the sale of a fake bass so they have banned the lot.

This has had a big impact on the second hand market and their name is kind of mud currently.

9. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

thanks, did not know that, every guitar ,,if i had a pound for every white fender strat, supposed to be in the hands of ritchie blackmore, i would be knee deep in hookers, and coke, didn't paul mccartney play a rick lead, all the fashion then,
    just for that gonna play some rainbow,
    PS whats a wal base,
    and for all you dude's i was there at the first Monsters of Rock ,to see rainbow, pissed it down and his hair caught on fire , did that stop him did it f34k,
    playing kill the king live and loving it

cutting42 likes this.
  10. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

That all depends on what you want to do, that you can't do without a pedal? What is the sound in your head that you can't achieve with the gear you've got?

windhoek likes this.
  11. matthewr

The other thing to say is that the Roland is very much its own thing without pedals so you don't actually need anything. In fact, if you buy a fancy modern all-in-one effects box it will undoubtedly have a patch called something like "80s Chorus" which is basically trying to recreate your amp.

But yes, like Yank says, decide what you are trying to do first.

gavreid and windhoek like this.
  12. windhoek

Good question! I guess I want to be able to drop in the best dirtiest sound from all my favoutite rock songs lol. From Floyd to Bowie and beyond, I just wanna sound like a god! ThItat sounds, I think, like I need an overdrive pedal.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Your JC22 gives you clean, chorus and reverb. You now need everything else! To my mind that is at least overdrive, distortion and delay, i.e. probably three pedals to be able to dial up a very wide pallet of familiar sounds. The hard bit is deciding which three pedals!

PS If you are new to this do start watching That Pedal Show and the JHS show on YouTube. There is a lot of superb information in amongst the somewhat obsessive behaviour and ‘gear acquisition syndrome’. You certainly get to hear what does what and learn which out of a bunch of fairly similar things you are more drawn to.

windhoek likes this.
  14. matthewr

windhoek likes this.
  15. DarrenW

DarrenW Oxygen User

Started trying to learn songs on the electric guitar recently, my new fav is pretty vacant, easy to play and sounds like it should when playing on my own. Any tips for other single guitar tunes or what are your favourites guys?

16. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Wal Basses http://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/ are a UK hand made brand that for a while in the 80’s and 90’s the main tool to have for may session players and bands. Great construction and electronics that have never been bettered IMO.

Geddy played them after Ric’s recording Power Windows and through the mid to late 80’s with Wal basses.

17. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

If I was to play some old Rush and Yes songs, then I would have a 4001 Rickenbacker with toaster pickups between 69 and 74 ish...........but I would also have Fender jazz for my slapping funk, a Fender Precision for my 70’s rock, an F bass for my fusion jazz and so on.....................

18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I found them to be a quite noisy - I'd go with tried and tested Boss at first, 2nd hand if money is an issue. I had the Angel Wing chorus, Tape Machine, Golden Plexi, Sweet Cream. I didn't like the hiss but I didn't have isolated power supplies either (like most people buying these I guess)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020 at 8:22 AM
  19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There are some people who don’t like Rickenbackers!

20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Dave knows the score - I've been watching him for six or seven years, totally unpretentious...