1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matthewr, Jun 14, 2019.

1. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

These look nicely affordable. Have you tried any?

2. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

I had the Kaffir Lime (their Tube Screamer rip off) which was ok, but I decided TS style pedals are not really my thing. I gave it to my Dad who uses it to annoy my Mother.

There have been around a while and sold in large numbers so lots of demos and reviews on the interwebs. The consensus seems to be reasonably convincing rips offs but built down to a price.

RickyC6 likes this.
  3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Josh (JHS Show) has reviewed a lot of very cheap pedals very favourably, e.g. Behringer, TC Electronics, Danelectro etc, many of which can be had second hand for next to nothing. There are some Andertons videos of the Tone City stuff. IIRC a lot of that Chinese stuff pops up under different branding e.g. Mooer etc. All looks to be made at the same factory and just tweaked a bit for different markets.

4. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Listening to what you guys are saying, plus what the web says about people like me who've never set foot down Pedal Path before - and the rate at which businesses are shutting up shop thanks to Covid 19 - I'm just back from Kenny's Music in Glasgow where I bought a Boss GT-1 Guitar Effects Processor. I also bought the dedicated PSU as they don't come as standard. The guy gave me a wee discount on the combo so thumbs up there, but thumbs down to Boss for not including it in the first place!

Seeing as I've no idea what sounds I'm after beyond the clean tones of my JC-22, which I'm enjoying more and more each day, I can now experiment with just about every sound under the sun to find out which ones I really like. And if I find any tones and effects I really, really like, I can always buy a dedicated pedal for a better playing experience.

Incidentally, it occurred to me as I was cycling home that while most people are panic buying groceries and household supplies in case of an extreme lockdown or self-isolation, here's me panic buying guitar gadgetry as if the end of the world is truly nigh lol :)

PrettyVacant and gavreid like this.
  5. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

^ As I will explain to the better half (or rather - will if I get rumbled), it's not panic buying, but very much considered and calculated - and further - a reasonably altruistic and noble gesture towards keeping the economy afloat in these difficult times. :)

windhoek likes this.
  6. windhoek

Now wanting to take the thread off-topic but when I went to buy the effects processor, I had to knock the door and state my intentions before I was invited in. The shop worker wasn't being hostile, of course. Just following the shop's perfectly reasonable and appropriate infection control measures. They're selling stuff online no problem and will continue to do so as long as couriers are still driving around. But browsing instore? Just about okay as long as there aren't more than a couple of customers in the shop already.

Joe likes this.
  7. windhoek

This did actually figure in my decision to buy instore as the processor is a few quid cheaper @ Amazon. Amazon will be fine whether I buy from them or not. Kenny's Music, however... well it's hard to say, but I'm sure a real-world sale will matter a tad more than not.

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

A message...

9. windhoek

Last night, for the first time in my entire (very, very amateur and barely-educated) playing history, I finally sounded as if I knew what I was doing on an electric guitar. And thanks to Sean Daniels and this Youtube guide to the pentatonic scale, I did! (Fwiw, I've watched videos on the pentatonic scale before, lots, but I just never got it until I watched Sean's videos.)

As for my new gear - my Roland JC-22 amp and Boss GT-1 effects processor - I'm absolutely over the moon with it, and I'm also over the moon with my Digitech Trio+ Looper now that I've finally been able to put it to proper use.

In a nutshell, I looped a simple two-chord rhythm onto the looper (Bm7 then Am7 and back and forth and so on) and then played it back with a pop bass and drum accompaniment from the looper, whereupon I riffed and rocked out on the Bm pentatonic scale for about an hour to my heart's content, with some accidentals thrown in here and there for good measure. Sometimes by accident, but mostly by accident.

I should say, I've really grown to love the clean sound of the JC-22. It's a keeper, no question. It's not as lush as I'd imagined it would be, but it's not as dry and boring as I feared either. Just like the perfect bowl of porridge that Goldilocks enjoyed the most, I guess the JC-22 is perfectly perfect for me :)

gavreid likes this.
  10. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Taylor make some wonderful guitars, but a Dreadnought played by a Westcoaster sounds just sort of wrong when it’s not a Martin :(

He’s still in rather good shape and sings a lot better than many of his age !

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 7:21 AM
    gavreid likes this.
  11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

He still sings in the same key!

Cheese likes this.
  12. RickyC6

Seems like Andertons are still doing mail order so I’m gonna build a pedal board. Very slowly.

gavreid likes this.
  13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just don’t watch last week’s TPS or you’ll become convinced you need a Mk I Tone Bender...

14. RickyC6

Refining my list ain’t easy. Chorus and Overdrive will be first two. Shortly followed by Distortion and Analogue Delay.
    Mooer currently looking like preferred make.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What is your amp?

I seem to be at the minimalist end of this and I’m happy with just dirt, delay and reverb. My amp has a lovely spring reverb (and a tremolo) so those don’t need any attention. Dirt is the hard one as there are so many different kinds and I suspect I hate most of them. I’ve always been a new-wave/indie kid sonically so I can’t stand the ‘Marshall stack’ metal/hard-rock sound, and I’m really no fan of ‘white blues’ tones either. I made a couple of wrong steps (e.g. Boss DS-1 which is just too rock/metal for me) and have ended up with a BD-2 which will add a little crunch and doesn’t sound out of place on post-rock etc (i.e. it doesn’t sound like a ‘Tube Screamer’), a Rat which is pure My Bloody Valentine/Sonic Youth in a box, and a delay pedal. In combination it gives me a pallet from jazz, through clean Durutti Column type stuff, to post-rock/Kraut, to all-out MBV/shoegaze noise. I don’t need anything beyond that. In an ideal world I’d swap my digital delay pedal for a tape echo, but that would be an absurd extravagance.

PS I assume you are playing at home for fun/recording? If gigging chances are you’ll need more as you can’t really fiddle with the knobs in the middle of a song (though I can name some bands that do)! I play sitting on the floor and do alter the settings of my pedals a lot. I’m sure this is why perfectly I’m happy with so few. I suspect a lot of folk with big boards just view each pedal as one sound.

16. RickyC6

Amp is a Fender Champion 40. Plenty of options for a whole range of sounds but I'm not convinced about some of the effects and they're all limited to the same dial, with a foot switch that turns it on or off. I fancy something proper - as a former user of a Boss Chorus and Flanger - I had the fat Bob Smith (actually he was thin then, as was I) sound off pat in 1982!
    It's for home recording but i like the option of having a bit too much functionality rather not enough. I've the money (if i go mid-priced hence the Mooer) and certainly the time.

17. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Don't watch this on the history of Fuzz Faces either;)

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Don’t overlook second hand too, there are tons of pedals on eBay, Reverb etc and the old staples (e.g. Boss etc) can often be had for peanuts.

19. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Your amp has a bunch of modulation effects built in? I might be tempted to go into the channel one of your amp (the clean Blackface one) and use the modulation effects and add overdrive pedal(s) in front. Unless you are so set on a C86 / Sarah Records thing that you really just want the best chorus pedal ever :)

There are also loads of multi-effects boards out there at all price points. e.g. TC electronics just launched this one:

20. RickyC6

Yeah the problem with the amp is it kinda limits how you can apply the effects. Hard to explain without demonstrating. Sure it’s a cheap way to do it but I definitely want something better and with more flexibility.
    And doing a board will be fun.