1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it! Pt II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matthewr, Jun 14, 2019.

1. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

[​IMG]

Work from home, they said ... well, OK!

claire.foxx likes this.
  2. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

As someone with a house full of pedals I cannot argue.

3. imarks

imarks Ian Marks

Does anyone use any of the guitar VSTs? I've just downloaded the free version of Guitar Rig 5. It seems to work OK and in my system latency isn't really an issue.

I'm mainly a bass player nowadays but still occasionally record guitar parts. Any recommendations for other VSTs especially if they offer bass amps/cabs/effects as well as guitar. Happy to pay sensible money for the right product but I'm definitely at the hobby level.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

For home recording, not that I do any at the moment, I’ve only ever used Logic X’s plethora of FX pedals and amp modelling. They are remarkably good and will likely give better results than ‘real’ unless you have some very good mics to hand and can play loud. The massive advantage is they are non-destructive, i.e. your clean guitar sound plugged into the interface is all that is actually recorded, so you can add/remove effects or amp-modelling at the mixing stage. No need to go and re-record the whole part because you now hate that flanger you thought was a great idea initially etc.

imarks and stephen bennett like this.
  5. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

They all have free trials as well. The bigs ones:

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-fx/
    https://uk.line6.com/helix/helixnative.html (although the software only version is £££ for no good reason)

Also amplitube, guitar rig, s-gear, etc. etc. In fact there is probably 6 months of free trials before you even have to think about paying money.

imarks likes this.
  6. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I use Overloud TH-U as I can't at the moment use my Tweaker. It's rather good. I used the Fender twin emulation on my Rhodes yesterday—it was excellent I compared it to my real Rhodes/Twin recordings and there's hardly any difference.

I like the way it responds to the dynamics and tonal changes of the piano—very accurate.

Scarily my Rhodes VA is pretty close to my real piano these days too!

I'm doing some mixing at the moment where I'm getting 'finished' guitars recorded in a nice studio via amps.

The recordings sound lovely, but the work I need to do to fit them into a mix is a right pain in the ear 'ole.

Even with my real amp, I record the 'dry' guitar and re-amp later. Much more flexible.

Stephen

imarks likes this.
  7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Have I posted Big Derek's Whiskey barrel oak 'Teles' before?

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Ben's new P Bass build (part 1) looking great so far

9. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I’ve bought myself a Fender Tenor Tele to keep myself amused during the lockdown. Would any of you knowledgeable guitar chappies like to recommend a decent basic amp for in-house usage only? I don’t need a zillion presets and what have you, but tremelo, reverb and the ability to do both clean and dirty nicely would be good. Thanks!

gavreid likes this.
  10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

What kind of budget?

11. Marchbanks

£100 or so? Tell me if that is ridiculous. Second-hand would be fine if anyone knows of anything lurking on eBay. (I suspect I’m looking a bit too down-market for any pfm cast-offs!)

Edit: yes, it does look as if I’m expecting a bit much. I’ll go up to £150ish.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 6:26 PM
  12. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

The little Yamaha THR sounds pretty good on some settings and the old models are being sold off cheap.

13. Marchbanks

Thanks. I can see a secondhand THR10 for £150 that might do the job if no-one else suggests anything.

14. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

You could always ebay it later if you don't get on with it. I think there's the 5W model going for a similar price new if you'd prefer that.

15. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Katana Mini if you want something really compact.