1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by windhoek, Oct 20, 2016.

1. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

These are great too, the G12m Heritage not the be confused with the standard G12m.
    https://celestion.com/product/24/heritage_series_g12m/

Expensive and a not as high power handling...but if you ride the fine line of valve and driver power compression it's pretty special tone. I use then in a 2 x 12" with Friedman Smallbox head

Although they are identical to the G12 EVH special which can normally be found second hand cheap (I got 4 for £150 from a guy switching them out of his EVH 4 x 12").
    https://celestion.com/product/28/g12_evh/

2. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Been using the Xmas break to finally dig into the Boss Katana head.
    It's an amazing thing.
    There's almost a cult like following developed and for good reason IMO

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Errr... this:

I suspect I may need one.

4. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Jeez. I thought you guys were purists?

Keep it Kleen.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Looking at my own stuff I don’t appear to be purist at all! Both my amps (guitar and bass) are Roland digital modelling Cubes and two of the three pedals I’ve got setup are digital too! Given the choice I’d choose say a Fuzzface, Space Echo and something like a Fender Princeton, but that’s too big, bulky and too loud for my situation really. Whenever I record I just plug straight into Logic and use the built-in amp-modelling and FX. The guys on That Pedal Show would be horrified! I have some nice guitars though!

6. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Princeton too big and loud? It's a 12 watts 1x10! I believe you to be what Vuk would call a girlyman :) Ok I know that 12w is still too loud for home if you want to get it in the sweet spot but to be honest my main problem with the Princeton re-issue is that it's £1000!

I still have problems with my Big Muff btw. It certainly gives a very fuzzed up sound but the bottom end just gets out of control and makes a flabby mess. Maybe I just don't like fuzz or have been indoctrinated by too much tube screamer exposure.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The little Microcube goes far louder than I’d ever need! I agree about the price, unlike guitars amps are a great way of losing money. I suspect I’ll just stay where I am, but if the Microcube breaks then I’d likely buy a Blues Cube.

I get hugely confused by the multitude of Big Muff variations, but I’m surprised you aren’t getting anything you like out of it given your musical taste. I tend to find fuzz pedals sound best at the front if the chain, with the ‘fuzz’ (or whatever its called in the particular example) knob up pretty high/full, then use the bridge pickup and dial it all in with the guitar’s volume and tone knob. Don’t assume your standard guitar ‘clean’ knob and pickup settings will necessarily be what you want for fuzz, e.g. I always use the neck or middle pickup for ‘clean’, but the bridge for fuzz, and get the amount of fuzz I want with the guitar volume, not the fuzz controls. If it is too fizzy/spitty (if that is possible!) back off the guitar’s tone a bit.

IIRC you favour the bridge pickup for most things. In that case try setting the amp up so you find the neck and bridge more use for cleaner sounds and the bridge is very bright even borderline harsh. That way you may find you have far more range between clean and distorted/fuzzed sounds. Certainly you want all pickup settings to be of use.

8. matthewr

It might just be that I have a lovely new strat that is pushing me in the direction of playing mostly clean or with just a bit of dirt because it just sounds so lovely. On my old cheap strat copy I was always on the bridge because it was HSS and I liked the extra oomph and a bit more treble kind of worked with the big chugging barre chords + distortion style I favoured to hide the fact that I cannot really play that well. The bridge pickup on my fancy expensive strat needs to be approached with caution if you value your ears.

Also I am just trying to improve at playing the guitar rather than make records so the sort of towering sonic cathedrals of shoegazy / sonic youth sound drenched in reverb and with all sorts of complicated delays that I vaguely have in my head is not what I want when I actually play. When I was younger I was all tell me the chords so I could play along with my favourite records whereas now I much prefer to play a chord progression into the looper and noodle about on top. I even enjoy practising scales and ear training exercises!

I shall have a play with the Big Muff again. Thanks.

9. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

That's not a characteristic of fuzz in general, but some versions of the Big Muff specifically do have lots of low end. A Fuzz Face or Tone Bender won't do that.

I often find myself using the opposite with fuzz, the neck pickup or maybe turn the tone all the way down. A fuzz generates plenty of harmonics, you don't need to provide much of that from the guitar. The "mud" switch on my Fender Esquire is perfect for that.

10. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Hmmm, better off buying a cheap Zoom Multi fx!!

11. matthewr

@Yank @Tony L

I think this might be it -- if I tweak the volume on the pedal the noise goes sort of in and out of phase (not sure if that is the right word). So it can sound bloated and muddy but then a tiny adjustment and it gets into a sort of resonant groove that almost sounds like more than one guitar. My pedal seems to make a few really awesome sounds and a whole lot of awful ones and you kind of have to get pickup, guitar vol, pedal and preamp gain all in sync to get it to do its thing.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That sounds right to me. It is also worth noting that ‘fuzz’ is very different to ‘distortion’ when it comes to guitar pedal types. The Big Muff or Fuzz Face is absolutely not a Tube Screamer, Blues Driver, Rat or whatever. The end result is far more Hendrix if you can play lead, or Sonic Youth, My Boody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr, Boo Radleys etc for rhythm. Also good for punk, e.g. Wire etc. The dirty sounds I’m after are certainly in the ‘shoegaze to Sonic Youth’ arena, so lots of fuzz, and often lots of modulation, echo & reverb after it. As such some ‘mud’ is to be welcomed and exploited, I just play with it, but don’t want it so messy I can’t hit a few interesting open chords up the neck.

PS This is my only issue with That Pedal Show - I really like the program and think Mick and Dan are great (I even bought a couple of coffee mugs to support them), but they very seldom if ever venture into the dirty tones or playing styles that actually interest me.

13. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I tried a good few Fuzz pedals and settled on the Skreddy Lunar Module.

It's funny that alot of the early rock tones people think are Overdrive/Distortion are actually Fuzz.

14. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

This looks fun - instant Dave Brock

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Indeed. For me ‘distortion’ is that 1980s heavy metal/hair metal sound that I hated at the time and have never warmed to since. I was never much of a heavy rock fan, and I’m prepared to bet the stuff I did like (Hendrix, Hawkwind, very early Sabbath, T. Rex etc) was all some variation of fuzz and loud amp.

16. Yank

You have to consider what was available on the market at the times these things were recorded too, if you're trying to do forensic tone analysis (tm). Distortion and overdrive pedals are really more a thing of the 1980s.

17. Yank

For example there's fuzz all over the first three Free albums, and even a Strat on a couple of numbers, but people associate Kossoff with the sound of a Les Paul straight into a Marshall.

18. matthewr

Yeah I think I was just turning everything up too much. I have an OCD for what I think of as "distortion" which I guess is roughly in the RAT territory. It actually does everything from low gain / edge of break-up to a rat like distortion but without changing the EQ to much (mid scoop, etc).

The other thing I would say is I *love* low gain pedals and could spend all day messing around with the selection I have and even trying them in pairs and into clean or crunchy amp settings. I think my dream pedalboard would be fuzz > a selection of boosts > 10 different ODs > amp either clean or about 6.

At the risk of boring all you old hands, I might record some sounds actually. If only because I really enjoy saying "Here's my clean sound" :)

They are very much middle-aged, white guy rock aren't they? Which is why i thought it slightly odd when they got those HiWatts and did the Gilmour thing which you would have thought would have been one of the first things they would want to try.

19. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I've just listened to 'Tons of Sobs' but can't hear anything other than a very overdriven valve amp. What tracks did you have in mind?

20. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yeah, I wasted alot of time trying the LP straight into Marshall thing before realising there was more to it with Kossoff