1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it!

Discussion in 'off topic' started by windhoek, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There are a few things I really want the amp to do rather than pedals, reverb and trem being two key ones. I’m still stuck in that limbo between being content with my tiny little Roland MicroCube (digital reverb & trem), thinking about a Roland Blues Cube (no trem), or even blowing £2k on the little Rift PR6 (which has a truly stunning spring reverb and valve trem).

2. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

£200 Fender vs £250 Strymon. Both premium pedals for sure but getting to the "I'd rather have another guitar" level.

Bonus time for me this week, though...

3. matthewr

I agree. But my amp has no Trem and whilst the amp reverb is quite nice it's still digital and not as nice sounding or as versatile as the Fender pedal, at least to my ears.

4. matthewr

Having said all that and lusted after a Blackface Princeton forever, I was really impressed with this demo of the 68 Deluxe Reverb re-issue. Despite looking like a post-CBS Silverface, it's a two channel amp with one channel a Blackface and one a Bassman, both channels with classic Fender Trem and Reverb and a 12" Celestion instead of a 10" Jensen.

So maybe the answer is to spend £1k on a new amp :)

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

This looks interesting too

6. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

I like your thinking, and wish to subscribe to your logic tutorials henceforth sire..
    :)

7. matthewr

The source audio one is also £250! I am beginning to suspect rumours of the BigTrem cabal are true :)

Also am guessing there is probably a TPS show on all of these.

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

They covered the True Spring a few weeks ago I think

9. Euan

Euan pfm Member

Guys. I'm looking for a bit of help with a bass that I have owned for many years. I used to play a little and gig in my 20's but that was a long time ago and I honestly don't see me picking it up again. It is a late 70's USA Fender Precision in white (think Sid Vicious.)

I have been thinking about selling it but it has its issues. The neck has a few 'buzzy' frets that could do with sorting but that's not hard to do. The major problem with the bass is the paintwork. Ever since I have owned it, it has been a mess. I'm not talking about the usual dings and scratches. I'm talking about some major deep cracks in the paintwork where you can see right down to the wooden body - not just a few either, its a problem over the whole body. You can near as damn it get a plectrum into the cracks.

I don't know if it was stored poorly before I bought it (it was pretty cheap) and has heat damage or whether it was a fault with the paint. I've had a quick search and cannot find anything like it online.

Anyways, I don't know whether to sell it as is for a project for someone or whether it would be worth getting it repainted before selling it on.

Thoughts please on the likely costs of repainting. What would you do?

Thanks

Euan

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

If it is the original Fender finish just leave it be, it will attract those who want ‘relics’ etc. If it has at any point been refinished, then it is worth less and what you do will likely improve it. I’d really do nothing beyond giving it a good clean if original.

PS If you don’t know either way take the neck and scratch-plate off and you’ll almost always be able to spot a refinish (I can give some clues if you need to know what to look for)!

11. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

I'd leave it as is - if it really needs repainted, then any savvy buyer will factor that into the price anyway. With a decent guitar like that, the cost of refinish isn't - imho - going to add more than the cost of it to the untouched value - and maybe even the opposite.

Personally Id always have a sneaking suspicion that a refinish might have been because of other bigger concerns - paint hides a multitude. Besides, as they say in the classic car world - it's only original once :)

12. Euan

Euan pfm Member

Tony, its the original finish. I've had it to bits a few times to clean and spruce up.

Thanks.

13. Euan

Euan pfm Member

Where's the best place to sell (least faff)?

14. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

It's got to be worth a couple of thousand, even in that condition, I'd have thought.

15. Euan

Euan pfm Member

I think that's a bit high. Been looking at some sold prices on the auction site and between £1200 and £1700 looks about the going rate.

Happy for you to be proven right though!

16. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

If you're not in a rush for the cash, Reverb.com might be worth a punt. It comes across as aimed more at the high-end/collector type of buyer, and the P-Bass sounds like it would fit well there.
    Selling fees are fairly reasonable - sometimes free if they want to get more stuff advertised. You could put it up there at the upper end of what you think it's worth, and leave it for a few weeks to see whether there's any interest.

17. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Maybe I'm a bit on the high side but don't underestimate it, P basses are very desirable as long as it's structurally sound, has a good tight neck fit, truss rod works etc

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The BassChat forum is very good.

19. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  20. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

This week's TPS might be of general interest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.