1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gumtree scammers

Discussion in 'off topic' started by twotone, Jan 18, 2018.

1. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Put and advert on Gumtree yesterday for a pair of Focal speakers and this morning I had a scammer trying to scam me with a text message from some weird phone no but they left a gmail address so I decided to play along, here's their email reply below.

Honestly nothing ever changes.

Text from 52 83

"Do you still have the s peaker??? Pls get back to me katehanson132@gmail.com"

email

"Great!please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my Cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today.

Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?"

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

tell him the pickup location is:

Cell 51, Wing B
    Wormwood Scrubs
    London

Mr Cat, linnfomaniac83, Gaius and 2 others like this.
  3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Send the oxygen thief's "agent" to somewhere on the edge of town. See how long you can make him wait in the cold before he works out that he's been scammed.

Tony Lockhart and twotone like this.
  4. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Got to laugh though.

Disabled, check!
    Hearing loss, check!
    Woman buyer, check!
    Relative, check!
    Courier & Agent, check!

Have I missed anything?:D

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  5. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

finally i get it! it's been a long night...and day!

6. Liza

Liza New Member

I am so glad I Googled katehanson132@gmail.com and this thread came up.

I am trying to sell a pram on Gumtree, yes a pram that belonged to my one year old. I got several emails with interested buys, this is how katehanson132@gmail.com email went,

"Great! please consider it sold and take the ads down off gumtree,i am buying it for my cousin. and i am read to pay your full asking price, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally

to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair.

I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today."

Only thing I wish I hadn't done was give out my address :mad:

Anyway, I sent her or him or whoever the hell this person is my paypal email address and said I'd remove the advert once I had received payment. It seemed odd they wanted to pay in advance, but given the disabilites this person said they had I thought it made sense.

I later get an email from them with a weird Paypal mock up receipt saying they have deposited the amount for the pram plus £300 for the courier which I need to pay into the couriers bank account. This just sent alarm bells off. I want to send an email to them with various expletives but I also feel like I don't want to waste anymore time on it.

Anyway thanks very much to the person who posted the original thread. I am going to try and report them to Gumtree. Now to finding a legitimate person who actually wants and needs a pram and doesn't want to spend their evening trying to con a Mum!

linnfomaniac83 and twotone like this.
  7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'm glad our meaningless ramblings have been useful to someone at least! I find Gumtree OK, but I insist that the item is collected.

Mr Cat likes this.
  8. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Doubt gumtree will care Liza, every time I advertise on gumtree I receive a similar email even when I advertise for work (I'm a SE plumber).

Anyway well done for checking on the scammers.

Tony

PS, I even check every dodgy looking phone no that I receive now too.

9. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

I had a call to my mobile within 30 minutes of posting an advert for my old car on Gumtree a couple of weeks ago.

Him: Hello Sir, we're calling from xxx insurance company about that minor traffic accident you had recently, do you remember it?
    Me: F**k off t**t

That seemed to wrap up the conversation nicely :)

lazycat and hifilover1979 like this.
  10. johntie

johntie New Member

I got one off the same person asking if both pairs of my shoes were still available, I replied "I've only got one pair left as I lost a pair when I had both feet up your mother" a little coarse yes but no reply as of yet.

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I’d be tempted to say something like: “Well, I wouldn’t call it minor and, to be perfectly frank, it wasn’t an accident. I meant to kill them.”
    See where the conversation goes then.

12. Kraus

Kraus Member

I was selling a watch for a friend and received a mail from a 'woman'.

"Yours is exactly the watch I'm looking for and I'm happy to pay your full asking price. I prefer to use an escrow service, based in Holland and in operation for 5 years, which has been very reliable - can we proceed with this sale?"

The escrow service's website had every appearance of legitimacy (a perfect clone) but a Who.is ( https://who.is/ ) search revealed it to be based elsewhere and registered within the past 2 days. A couple of days later - it was gone.

Of course, to 'get my money' I would have had to enter my bank details.

The overpay-and-you-send-money-to-third-party scam is an old, but often effective, one.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

A lack of prowess in writing English perhaps? :)