1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Hana MC cartridges

Discussion in 'audio' started by Gromit, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Evo

Evo pfm Member

Can I ask what amplification you are using with the Puresound? I currently have one on demo and am using the Naim202/ 200. After a week they seem to be a good match- I am aware that previous iterations of the P10 may not have been so compatible with my amps. At present I am leaning towards the Puresound as my next upgrade.

2. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R - into which the P10 works a treat.

3. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Ooh...methinks a phonecall is going to be made tomorrow.

Thanks Theo. :)

4. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Have had to put some funds aside as my 2008 iMac is getting a tad wheezy - the poor old girl's days are numbered I think, therefore the cartridge budget has taken a bit of a knock.

However...just managed to pick up a very low mileage Hana EL so looking forward to hearing how it goes in the old fruitbox. Will report back once it's done a few hours. :)

5. ColinC

ColinC Member

Hi Gromit.
    Interested how you are getting on with the Hana EL? Can you describe what is good/not so good etc.

Cheers, C.

6. Gromit

Gromit Plasticine Dog

Hi Colin,

Had the EL a couple of weeks or more now so hopefully can judge it fairly. :)

Good things? It seems to work very well into the Dynavector P75 with the stage set to the PE 'high resistance' setting. Plenty of output. Quite a dynamic performer in terms of transients and sonically even-handed (ie it's neither bright nor dull/warm). Very easy to line up in the Nima.

Not so good? It's not kind to surface noise (c/w with the Denon DL110 I had before) and the Hana is more sibilant and displays a presence region glare at times.

It's clearly a good cartridge but it doesn't really grab me in any particular way. Put it this way, don't think I'd buy another one so may even end up selling this (sub-100 hours old).

7. Conster

Conster pfm Member

Hey Ross,

Do you know what spacer is required for the Rega arms? 2-4mm?

8. RossB

RossB Member

It's been a while since I used the Hana on my RP8 but I used either 3mm or 4mm - either should be fine.

9. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

10. jmiguelbarone

jmiguelbarone New Member

Someone knows the stylus size of the EL / EH? And about the trackability ... in the official information says 70um, but i think a really good tracker goes to 80.

11. tenpercenter

tenpercenter Don't ya rile 'em.....

I have two Hana cartridges and they just sound right to me. I’ve owned Dynavectors, Lyras and Ortofons but there is something just right about the Hana’s - vocals are a joy, they are dynamic and open but are definitely analogue in signature. I would highly recommend them to anyone

12. krenzler

krenzler pfm Member

I had the EL. The DL-103R tracked better. Not that it caused any problems in the real world.

13. Knipester

Knipester pfm Member

@Gromit

I think we gave very similar set ups!
    I’ve just installed a Nima with skale & hd cable and whilst I was at it decided to try a hana. I found a lightly used SH which after much faffing I’ve finally got working really well.

as I’ve implemented a number of changes at once it’s hard to specifically say what’s the cart v cirkus bearing or the arm but whatever it is it sounds great.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Birdseed007

Birdseed007 Member

I tried the Hana ML in my Gyro/SME IV and really liked it. It has a slightly warmer balance than the AT-OC9/MLII I usually use but seemed to match the OC9's detail retrieval despite a smoother overall balance. I'm also keen to try the new OC9 XSL and Art9 too. Phono stage was Trichord Dino latest spec with NC power supply into NAC82/Hicap/250.

Michell will be launching a new range of MC cartridges at Bristol so they will certainly be interesting to hear too. This is a golden age for vinyl!

Birdseed

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Well, this is a it different for Michell. To my knowledge they've never been in the cart. business, even as agents. Wonder whose range it'll be and whether m.m. or m.c. or both.

16. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

I believe it called Cusis ,just a pic on their Instagram, no other information though.

17. hifi_dave

hifi_dave Hi-Fi Retailer

Bought in. Might be Excel Corp., who seem to make many brand names.