1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ditched their belt drive deck for a SL1200G?

Discussion in 'audio' started by allthingsanalog, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Olsen

Olsen pfm Member

Not here but that question is extremely valid for me beeing a long time Rega user

Would like the ability to shift choice of cartridges easier
    Another presentation vs Rega assumely
    Not really keen on the DJ look admittedly

The new 1500c is a dealbreaker due to beeing forced getting build-in phono and a 2M red - both items not wanted
    Not sure if tonearm identically to Gr ?

Exploring other forums some say there's little in G vs Gr - something like Gr is 80-90% of G, as I read it

Others don't really notice a difference
    At half price honestly there should be

Thinking my budget is not really for G
    Then I could get some extra cartridges as times go by

2. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

There's a GR + external Timestep psu at a very good price in the dealer classifieds here. If still available a bit of a bargain. I have a GR here and it's very good indeed.

3. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I do like the fact that these Technics turntables are being taken seriously as Hi-Fi turntables these days. There is room for everyone at the table and the greater the variety available the more chance there is that buyers will find something they like.

4. Olsen

Olsen pfm Member

Thanks
    Fidling with external psu for a G/Gr is not something I would consider

5. tonyx

tonyx pfm Member

I have a friend who upgraded from an RP1 to a 1200GR. It was a massive leap up and he is very pleased. It sounds great to me and I wonder if the difference between that and my Xerxes can be entirely explained by the difference between whatever cheapisg MM he is running and my sublime Delos. I could live with it no problem.

Tony

allthingsanalog likes this.
  6. BJP

BJP El Perro Azul

Yes I made enquires and was very close to buying it , the Timestep is more effective with older 1200s but then it is free so a very good deal , meanwhile I had my head turned by some speakers and pow the money went :rolleyes:

7. Olsen

Olsen pfm Member

Certainly great to hear

Once heard a Xerxes it was superb as most of Touraj's turntables
    Vertere heard them at shows, nothing better I thought - way out of my budget too

8. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

He replaced an RP1, the absolute base model Rega make, with a 1200GR and found it a massive improvement! I should bloody well hope so given the price difference - Rega make a bunch of different decks before you get to the price of a 1200GR! So, essentially, this is the revelation that more expensive turntables sound better than cheaper ones.....

Darren L, Mr Pig and Woodface like this.
  9. springer

springer pfm Member

Next tier down, but I went from a lifetime of heavily pimped Regas to a 1210GR 18 months ago and that’s me done. Completely fuss-free, shines with anything I throw at it. No tweaking, fettling or messing about. I’ll only replace it if it dies, and that would be with another one.

BJP, chris@panteg and allthingsanalog like this.
  10. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Anyone not far from or in Sussex with a G or GR I could come and have a listen to?

11. sktn77a

sktn77a pfm Member

My only concern with the new 1200 series would be reliability and servicing, should it ever be needed. An LP12 can always be fixed. If the 1200 dies, who is going to fix it? Certainly nobody here in the USA.

12. Salamander

Salamander pfm Member

Are you sure nobody will be able to repair a fault on a newly built tt in the USA?

13. allthingsanalog

allthingsanalog pfm Member

So, no Panasonic dealers in the US?

14. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Firstly, the thing is made in Japan!

Secondly, these decks are the number one DJ turntables on the planet and DJs are not renowned for being gently with their stuff. There will be people who fix them, you'd just have to look in a different place perhaps.

Thirdly, built in Japan...

15. allthingsanalog

allthingsanalog pfm Member

Another thought is an SL1200G with one of the latest Jelco offerings, TK-950S?

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

As a indicator of reliability I have a MkI SL120/SME 3009 that must date from about 1976 and it still works perfectly! I really should think about selling it some time as I don’t need it!

17. Konteebos

Konteebos Ignorant Uninformed Hard Remainer

I'm more worried about availability than reliability! It's coming up on 6 weeks since I ordered mine and still no sign of it. When I order a new Hi-Fi component I want it straight away!

Darren likes this.
  18. early

early pfm Member

This is what I use , it's a great combo and visually it looks sooo right .

19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

This may have been covered already. I get it that the build quality of the 1200G is a real step up over earlier 1200 variants but is there a similar uplift in SQ commensurate with the price hike?

20. MotelBlues

MotelBlues pfm Member