1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Help identifying a pipe?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ks.234, Feb 6, 2019.

1. steve watkins

steve watkins pfm Member

Is there not a similar mouth piece that can be screwed on. Was the end threaded?
    Or have the two parts suitably inserted and threaded. As an engineering challenge it would not be difficult.

2. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

I've always fancied a pipe, not to smoke, but it would be a great prop, held by the bowl, the stem pointing towards one's opponent, jabbing the air to force home a point during an argument, Now see here...

sean99 likes this.
  3. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

I find wearing a monocle whilst holding a scented handkerchief to ones nose is useful whilst berating an opponent. :)

sean99 likes this.
  4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

If we'd had more of that during the Brexit debates on here, we wouldn't have got past page ten.

We need a pipe-jabbing smiley.

5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

6. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Pipe stems are made of vulcanite and have spigot which is a push fit into a hole precision drilled into the Briar. They cannot conveniently be threaded because the flattened mouthpiece needs to line up with the pipe bowl.

This type of breakage is quite common and decent tobacconists offered a repair service which was generally drilling the pipe stem to accept a small aluminium tube to replace the broken spigot. This is not hard to do if you have a suitable piece of tube.

ks.234 likes this.
  7. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

[​IMG]

Seeker_UK likes this.
  8. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I smoked a pipe for a few years. My favourite tobacco was Lloyd's 'Bondsman', though I wasn't averse to buying a bit of light, or dark 'Co-op' twist and 'rubbing my own..' as it were...

It's a ludicrous habit when you think about it. My main pipe was a Ronson aluminium stemmed jobby, similar to a Falcon, but with the long cooling tubes hidden in the stem. It was black teflon coated and I had two bowls for it, one of which never.. ever 'burned in' despite vigorous efforts on my part.

Later, I had an acquaintance who smoked a pipe aggressively, defiantly and inconsiderately. He wasn't averse to pipe jabbing when roused and took almost apoplectic offence if anyone indicated their discomfort at his smoking by waving his clouds of toxic smog away from their faces. I've often wondered what particular personality defect drove this bloke... because.. when he was diagnosed with angina and subjected to a triple heart by pass, he underwent a Damascene conversion and would 'throw a fit' if anyone so much as opened a pack of cigarettes within 50 yards.

Same bloke poo poo'd the idea of 'keeping fit', until his by pass, when he suddenly became a road walker extraordinaire.. and denied the existence of anxiety and depression until his own son suffered, whereupon all were required to treat the lad with kid gloves. Seems he was incapable of understanding any abstract concept until it directly affected him.

I should add that other pipe smokers are available and the vast majority are thoughtful, reflective types.. or at least that's what their pipes make them look like.. ;)

9. Still

Still beware of the duck

10. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Mullardman likes this.
  11. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

You are lucky the stem broke and not the wood! Just take it to a pipe shop that does repairs. They will extract the bit of broken stem in the wood (actually I did this myself a few times, by gently screwing in a wood screw and then pulling) and have another stem made up to fit. It is the easiest and most common pipe repair job and should not be at all expensive.

12. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

i think we've all known a few folks like that. I think these are the folks for whom the saying

"In theory the theory is the same as the practice, but in practice it often isn't"

was invented.

13. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

And for extra emphasis wear a top hat.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Oh, God, it’s turning into another Brexit thread...

15. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

One must choose the appropriate tobacco for the right occasion.

16. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

Fantastic

17. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

I had to stop wearing my monocle, the sneezing fits i get when taking snuff caused it to pop out

18. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

funnily my optician recommended a monocle when my middle aged long sightedness effected my left eye only. I wore a monocle for about a year until my right eye caught up.

My monocle created much mirth and consternation at work when I was chairing meetings when I let the thing pop out with feigned surprise.

These days I wear piz nez

Rob998 likes this.
  19. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

I had a few pipes when I was a student. I was the first in my immediate clique to reach 21 and so got a pipe and slippers to mark the occasion. It was one of those straight and slightly square ones, very 1950s. The right cardigan and a pair of original ESLs in Bronze, maybe with some porcelain ducks on the walls. You get the picture.

Lancaster market had a wonderful little tobacconist that sold all sort of things. The orange shag was a particular favourite.

20. Joe

Joe pfm Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    this.

ks.234 likes this.