1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

help me choose the English acoustics in the style of BBC monitors

Discussion in 'audio' started by Peter Leo, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Audio Note speakers work best in corners but don’t have to be. They need decent sources which, as said, the Marantz may or may not be.

Peter Leo likes this.
  2. Peter Leo

Peter Leo In searching for saint grail

for better sound, in any case, I will improve my audio system. Now the question is what will sound better: Harbeth with Yamaha or Audio Note j with Audio note amplifier. The second option is more complex and requires replacement of the amplifier, but if the sound is worth it, then maybe it's worth a try.

3. Alex S

If you follow the AN route, unless the Marantz is top of the line, vintage would be good, then you’ll also need an AN Zero CDP (or similar). You would then have a lovely system. If your Marantz - what is it - is not one of their best, you might want to change the CDP first.

Peter Leo likes this.
  4. Peter Leo

in general, since I decided to change the acoustics, maybe it’s worth starting to change the whole system, the main thing is that the direction of development is correct.:rolleyes:

5. Alex S

Please tell us your Marantz.

Peter Leo likes this.
  6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

There is a huge range of amps that suit harbeth, I am sure like many here would agree . Best sound I got with my p3esr was with an arcam , best sound I have heard with the shl5plus is unison research unico 90

Peter Leo likes this.
  7. Peter Leo

Marantz nd8006

8. Peter Leo

Yes. I heard that Harbeth is more versatile for amplifiers. This is an absolute plus.

9. Alex S

No need to change that I imagine. Looks like a good, versatile source.

Okay, this is what I’d do: keep the source, get a good Class D amp, something like a Temple Audio Bantam One and the best Audio Note speakers I could afford.

But this is a hifi forum, everyone else will have different valid suggestions. So, keep listening to stuff.

hifinutt and Peter Leo like this.
  10. Peter Leo

I think the best way to determine the winner would be a direct comparison, but it is not so simple to arrange, since the acoustics of Harbeth and Audio Note also need their own amplifiers.

11. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

AN speakers can still sound quite wonderful with SS amps - I wouldn't let it put you off entirely. Have run my Es with Hypex, and Quad ones, and demoed some with an Exposure. Not quite the same magic as with a matching valve amp but still fab in isolation. Going to try a class A SS one soon too.

Peter Leo likes this.
  12. Peter Leo

in your opinion Audio Note can give better sound with the appropriate gain than Harbeth (or Graham)?

13. PerF

PerF Member

According to Alan Shaw there's very little or no diffence between amplifiers used on Harbeth speakers.
    I've heard they use Hegel amplication at their recent shows.

Peter Leo likes this.
  14. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

Wouldn't be able to say. Haven't heard the SHL5 Harbeths, only the 30.1 and P3s. Only Grahams were the LS5/9 on the end of modded Quad monos - that really was sublime.

Personally what appeals about AN speakers, apart from the sound, is you can (or should) get them against walls and corners, and that you can (but don't have to) use low powered amps with them.

Peter Leo likes this.
  15. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

If you want to hear Derek Hughes’ work in action, listen to the Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a V3.
    It’s the best ‘3/5a I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard a fair few...

Peter Leo likes this.
  16. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

one man's meat is another man's poison.we are all so different and better to one person may vary hugely.

Peter Leo likes this.
  17. Peter Leo

as I understand it from your old posts, you once settled on Harbeth, although you also thought about Audio Note. why? What was the decisive moment for you in your choice? It is important for me to know your opinion.

hifinutt likes this.
  18. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

The Rogers sounded nice at the Bristol Show, worth considering?

Peter Leo likes this.
  19. Peter Leo

Yes. I think so. But now there’s a choice between all BBC line and Audio Note system.

20. caine

caine pfm Member

Simple, comes down to money. A decent AN system will wipe the floor off most at a cost; dependent on what your end goal is. Have you thought about going down the ATC route as an alternative; or possibly actives? Not familiar with your Dali's; but have listened to the Epicon 8's at Munich Hi-End and thought they were really good. Might be worth figuring out what is wrong with your system first; could be something really simple.

Peter Leo likes this.