1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me find a turntable

Discussion in 'audio' started by Sgt pepper, May 15, 2018.

1. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

After some bad experiences with new turntables recently I have been advised by the guys over on HiFi Wigwam to go with used, as I will achieve a bigger bang for the buck. So I am posting the same question here.
    About £320 limit and something for a relative newbie that will be easy to look after. Any help will be much appreciated in my quest, for turntable nirvana;) (or just something that is really good):)

Thanks
    Barry

2. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

possibly a Rega Planar 3/2 with RB300/250 arm? They are simple designs with little to go wrong with a good arm

Sgt pepper likes this.
  3. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Another vote for the rega planar 2.

You aren’t going to get a better deck for the money you have to spend.

Sgt pepper likes this.
  4. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

Under budget and any colour you want as long as it's black or white.

Sgt pepper likes this.
  5. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Is that £320 complete? ie with arm and cartridge? And do you have a phono stage which will work with your cartridge?
    if yes to all the above, I'd be looking for a japanese direct drive turntable from the 80's or 90's from a firm known for solid engineering in that time, but not one enjoyed by wannabe DJ's. Sansui, Sony, Denon or Pioneer probably. If it doesn't come with a cartridge then an AT MM will suit well.

Sgt pepper likes this.
  6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Look hard and you will find a rega P3 at under £200. I got one for £150 about 5 years ago, great deck. It's a mile better than a P2. See also the Sansui 222, about £150. Systemdek, Thorens 150/160 will come in budget.

Sgt pepper likes this.
  7. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Yes looking to purchase used about £320, I have a decent cartridge (Ortofon 230MKII), I like the retro look, the Rega and Projects no longer do it for me.

8. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

I've got a Denon DD here in excellent cosmetic condition, and could probably get it near you in a couple of weeks.

Rockmeister, foxbat and Sgt pepper like this.
  9. Joolzdee

Joolzdee pfm Member

+1 for one of these. I recently picked one up (from a different dealer) and although advertised as a "second" it's completely un-marked. And sounds great too.

Sgt pepper likes this.
  10. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

What were the bad experiences you had with new turntables? If they had to do with them not working quite as they should then I don't know that you'll fare any better with older turntables: there'll always be something - a slightly noisy motor, a suspension that can't quite be levelled, a sloppy bearing, a warped top plate, failing arm wiring, loose motor pulley, slightly inconsistent speed (and this is just the ones I currently own). Most of it can be sorted but it can be a faff. Of course if you can get something on here that has been sorted then no problem. Or if you can live with minor imperfections then also no problem (I'm currently listening to a Thorens TD125 with a bent motor shaft and it sounds really good). Thorens? Systemdek? Maybe with an RB250 from Audio Origami (£100).

11. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

This is some way out side your budget but seems to fit the rest of your criteria, comes with a warranty and looks almost good enough to eat. You could probably sell your cartridge to fund some of the gap.

PS .....and if you buy it, you will save me.

Rockmeister and Sgt pepper like this.
  12. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Looks fantastic but as you say way above what i can afford.:(

13. Ptah

Ptah pfm Member

14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'd choose a Thorens 160 super over a Rega P3 for £200 all day. You get them at that price, I sold mine for that on here. Actually maybe a bit more but it had a 3009 on it and they are worth £150+ on their own.

15. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

£150 3009 will cause a stampede, prices have moved on ...

16. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

I want to thank everyone for the fantastic efforts in helping me find a Turntable. I am now sorted and purchasing a Linn Axis from one of the members on here, I can't wait to take delivery of it hopefully quite soon.:)

divedeepdog likes this.
  17. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

Glad you are sorted.

Might it be worth expanding on your bad experience in the Onkyo thread? As it stands others might act on your positive assessment.

Sgt pepper likes this.
  18. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I often forget about the Axis but it’s actually a great performer for the money. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

Sgt pepper likes this.
  19. Noris

Noris pfm Member

A Thorens TD 320 or 321 would be my choice for a good cheaper belt drive. Easier to set up and some say slightly better than the 14x/150/16x range.
    I have here a TD147 with an OC 9 (very similar to a TD160), a Linn Axis with a Basic tonearm (vintage Grado system) and finally a stock Lenco L70 (Denon DL103r)
    My favorite is the Lenco followed by the TD147. But all depends on condition and synergy.
    I had many years an Axis with Akito. Maybe I am just a bit tired of it.

Or maybe a Japanese DD?