1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Here's the deal !

Discussion in 'audio' started by wpm, Aug 3, 2016.

1. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Ok... now that i have your attention.. ;)

will a Naim DAC V1 pair well with a Naim nait 5i-2 ?

I have no money to spend but i might get a change to trade in my CD5XS for something else.

I am in the process of ripping my CD's and converting them to WAV via EAC..

The thing is this.. i have a TT setup which i have accumulated with a lot of care and i dont want to let it go and i have a ton of records too..

So the NAP 100 - dancing partner for Naim DAC V1 will not fit me as the DACX V1 does not have even 1 analog input ?

My friends tell me to step up to the naim Nait 5si from the naim Nait 5i-2 but i am not too sure..

best regards
    wpm

2. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

The difference between Nait 5 variants is likely to be fairly small. I'd home dem if you decide to go that route, and include a modicum of unsighted testing.

Are you wed to Naim? There are other DACs out there that do have one or two analogue inputs, as well as pre-amps with some digital capabilities. If you love Naim, how about swapping/trading the Nait 5 and CD5 for a SuperNait or one of the Uniti products?

3. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

I thought it really was going to be her deal, lucky woman. Just another Naim addict who needs to be told. Best of luck reaching Nirvana

4. wpm

wpm pfm Member

nirvana... there is no such thing...;)

Only... Maya.... the great illusion !!

:D

regards

5. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

6. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

DAC V-1 is digital only so it cannot replace the Nait.

With a NAP-100 you get a super all digital system but your TT is redundant.

I used a V-1 with my Nait3 and RP3 which worked well, but I think it's best used with the NAP-100.

Jono

7. wpm

wpm pfm Member

actually Jono.. i am doing alright with the Meridian USB Explorer DAC ( non DSD ) ..

when my cdp went for repair i bought a 2nd hand Meridian Explorer USB DAC here and i am kinda used to it now..

i am reluctant to go for a naim Integrated as :-

a. I am enjoying the naim nait 5i-2 at the moment ( its about 3.5 years now )
    b. I fancy a Sonneteer Alabaster as my next stop..
    c. I dont have money for a SN2 - even for a trade in with my cdp

quite a dilemma this..

regards

8. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

The 5si is very nice but not a huge leap on from the 5i. You might like to consider the Exposure 2010S2D as an alternative. If you trade in your CD player as well, the 3010S2D should be within reach. The 3010S2D definitely gives the SuperNAIT 2 a run for its money.

9. mattski

mattski pfm Member

If you're enjoying the Nait 5, then why change it? :)

10. wpm

wpm pfm Member

i am compelled to take something in exchange for the CD5XS which i plan to give up..

hope this clarifies..

11. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Your other option if records are important would be to go olive with something like a 72/140/highcap nicely serviced for similar money to a Sonneteer.

Jono

12. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

You don't say what you're planning to feed the DAC-V1 with. Do you need its asynchronous USB input, or is a streamer like the ND5XS (or similar) an option? That'd be an almost direct replacement for your CD player.

13. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Jono

thank you..will consider that..

regards

14. wpm

wpm pfm Member

GavinB

I have been ripping my CD's into WAV using EAC software and storing it in a 2 TB external hard drive. I have a dedicated laptop for music ( an old one ) which is connected to Meridian USM Explorer DAC ( non DSD ) and that leads to the naim nait 5i and into Naim naca5 and into Merlin TSM MMM speakers.

I do not intend to change the speakers and whatever else i change will have to dance with the Merlin TSM standmount speaker.

I have a DiY sealed sub woofer which i sometimes use to fill in the base..

On the system pictures page 47 ( post 692 ) is a pic of my modest setup.

I intend to use the Naim DAC V1 to replace the Meridian USB Explorer Dac

regards

15. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

They are from the same company so I would hope so along with any other Naim integrated amp:confused:

16. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

:confused:
    They are from the same company so I would hope so along with any other Naim amp

17. Pedro83

Pedro83 pfm Member

I've had both Explorer 1 and 2, whilst good...
    I would heavily recommend the AudioQuest RED Dragonfly @£169.99, it comes so close to my Chord Mojo, I am constantly questioning why I have kept the Mojo but it is a lovely piece of kit, and obviously sounds great.

Unless you are waiting for the outcome of MQA, i'd certainly consider changing the Explorer. Failing so, I would really recommend you feed it with a powered USB HUB. This really brought moth Explorers alive, IME.

Blindfolded, I cannot consistently pick out each DAC. Maybe my ears are crap but I would put both ahead of the Explorer DACs. The AQ RED is an utter bargain IMO. If you do want a slightly better sound, the Mojo is ahead but by the smallest of margins. I love the AQ RED (as you can tell). Gave mine to my dad a while ago to use with his iPad and Beyer T70p. I missed it that much I had to replace it. It gets a lot of use, especially around the house and on the move.

Don't get me wrong, the Mojo is great but I think a lot of people would be surprised how close these two DACs are.

18. wpm

wpm pfm Member

hi Pedro

thank you.

at the moment i am happy with the meridian explorer usb dac. i am sure the AQ RED is nice but my ears have adjusted to the meridian in between the WAV and the amp.

regards