1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

HiFi Stand Stacking Order

Discussion in 'audio' started by Flibbles, May 22, 2020.

1. Flibbles

Flibbles Active Member

Just looking at everyones system pics and wondering if there is a set rule as to what order the different seperates should be in on a hifi stand? I always presume the source should be at the top then the pre amp then the power at the bottom. Is that right?
    I feel like there may not be a lot of difference sonically and it is just easier to have the CD player at the top so you dont need to bend down as far but maybe there is some science behind this order. If so why?

2. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

I try to stack things according which pieces are connected to each other (source > preamp > power amps). Whenever possible, I also prefer to put the heaviest items at the bottom, which usually means that the power amps are at the bottom.

maccar, Mike P, clap and 1 other person like this.
  3. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

Normally or traditionally your TT or other source components would be placed on top, a record player would be quite awkward to operate in a middle shelf, then your may have your preamp or intergrated or other source components, tuners, Dacs, etc then perhaps your power amp or power supplies at the bottom, but I don't think there's any hard and fast rules or science, just common sense, big heavy power amps at the bottom, manual controls for sources and pre at a convienent height for operation.
    Nowadays a lot of equipment, especially the digital stuff is controlled by remote perhaps even a phone or tablet, I suppose the lack of manual interaction means this sort of stuff can be placed at any height.
    Edit: I personally think it's good practice to have power in one side and signal to the speakers out the other and to keep power and signal cables seperate, though this is not always possible but should perhaps be taken into consideration when placing the various components.
    Sometimes components like SUT's or solid state class A and valve amps require further considerations due to noise or hum and heat disapation

4. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Mine are stacked according to what I use most and ease to get to. So I have my turntable at eye level on a wall stand. Below and on the top shelf of my rack I have my Squeezebox, phono amp And Dac. Below this my amp. Then my tuner followed by my CD player and lastly my cassette deck. Works much better for me and I like to get to things to my most used machines without crouching too muc.

5. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Same here.
    If the first priority is safety the heaviest is always at bottom - nobody wants to see their turntable crashing down on their grad daughter because the rack is unstable and top-heavy.

For the same reason, my CD shelves are screwed to the wall at the top (where you can't se it from below.

6. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Although I normally place the heaviest at the bottom, it just sensible, there have been occasions when an amp has been placed at the top because of heat dissipation/ventilation.

7. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I also like the amp near the top because it’s easier to get to the majority of wiring terminals etc.

8. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Not just any height, but any location - e.g. for a while I had the power supply behind the other equipment where I couldn't see it (only because the cable was too short to reach the other boxes though)

9. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Source/s at the top, Pre Amp next
    Power Amp below that with any PSUs and dirty stuff at the bottom.
    All assumes cables long enough.
    Two racks if suits with 'clean' and delicate on one and heavy and 'dirty' on the other

Del monaco likes this.
  10. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

ergonomics. most accessed components within easiest reach. tt on top then preamp below etc

11. wylton

wylton pfm Member

A stacking-order thread; I though that was the province of the Naim forum!

Snufkin likes this.
  12. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I thought about that when I saw the post.

13. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

What you really need is three separate equipment racks/stands ...... ;).

This has the added advantage of reducing the need for furniture - as there is now much less space for it.

14. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

When I used racks/tables I put the turntable on its own with nothing else.

15. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

I stack things in the order that I think looks best, simple as that.

[​IMG]

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's good practice to keep mains transformers out if the way of signal cables, phono stages etc. A big amplifier with a trafo on say the left hand side doesn't want a phono stage standing above its top left corner if you can avoid it.

17. Theo

Theo pfm Member

I've always preferred my sources close to eye level, which - for me - requires wall shelves. The rest of the equipment sits on record storage units, but I'd be quite happy to hide them in furniture (a future plan).

18. suzywong

suzywong Wot, no electrons?

From bottom to top

NAP 250
    NAP 250
    Supercap (SNAXO)
    Supercap (NAC 82)
    XPS (NDAC)
    SNAXO, HiCap (Stageline)
    NAC 82
    CDX
    NAT 05
    Lingo, NAPSC2, Allo Shanti
    NDAC
    Allo USBridgeSig/DigiOneSig, Stageline
    Sondek LP12

I’d like to split the rock into two (Putting on an LP currently needs a step ladder), but I would have to first relocate a cupboard’s worth of camera gear.

19. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

When such things were important to me and I had a system worth fussing over.
    There were two stacks. From memory turntable atop one, with it's psu and and 2/3 width pre amp below. Under that was a DIY switching box for extra units and to handle AV. Thereafter was a HiFi vcr, AV add-on unit.

Second stack was CDP on top, tuner, cassette deck and then 3&1/2 big lumps of amps, xover and psu

The stands were modular, round legged tripod system where the spikes of each discretely isolated each shelf i.e. the spikes went inside the leg and were adjusted so the gap was minimal and the spikes invisible. Black only with mdf or similar shelves, though I repainted mine white.
    Can't remember the name of them, but were highly regarded in the day.

Basically placed in order of physical attention required.

20. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Now that's what I call dedication!

I may as well join in (main stack only):

NAP250
    ZAP250
    CDPS
    Auralic Aries Mini + Linear PSU
    Avondale stage 1 phono stage + NAXO
    NAC 102