1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

HiFi Stand Stacking Order

Discussion in 'audio' started by Flibbles, May 22, 2020.

1. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

I think power supplies need to be away so you have to think carefully about stacking Naim. I remember moving my Napsc after a suggestion on here I think.

2. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

This is the exact stand system I use - I put a photo of my racks of it on the previous page - it’s great, solid racking, can be moved around and does a lovely record box storage space too..

British made and made by Sound Factory - see below..

I have more in the loft, but am always looking for more if anyone has any!?

[​IMG]

3. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

As my system grew I just kept buying more Sound Factory units, and had at one time four stacks, as I had active Isobariks, so there were three Naim power amps, the Naxo and it's HiCap, then 82 and two HiCaps, the Naim CDS and it's full width PSU, a tuner (NAD), and my Linn on it's own table.

Then I moved to a tiny cottage - lounge was about 12' x 10' - or so it felt, but the Isobariks still worked (now as near field monitors) but the SF racks had to be stacked as one vertical unit - so the CDS at the top was actually above eye level. Still very stable though - I still think this was one of the best systems out there.

Power amps at bottom, then HiCaps, then Naxo, Preamp and CD player at the top... now I have a power amp that sits on the floor (I may build a table for it) DAC/Pre + PSU, DSP unit and RPi on my home made oak/acrylic stand. I'm (half) convinced that moving from the steel SF rack to a wood and acrylic stand improved the sound, but so many unknowns it's hard to be dogmatic. Anyway it looks good, sounds good so I'm happy.

4. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

@Rug Doc

YES! That's the stuff, it was excellent.I had to go back and check your photo, I missed the stands originally, outshined by all the yummy Yammy.
    My hifi was all black hence respraying the racks white, I liked it.
    Somewhere I have a very bad photo of the kit and stands I described (you can't make out much) but of course it illudes me for now.

Rug Doc likes this.
  5. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I have two Mana stacks and place things based on what sounds the best. Although I am struggling to fit things in as boxes like a DAC and phono stage have been added. Other than that it's a noise avoidance game, so trying not to put phono stages next to transformers ect.

6. suzywong

suzywong Wot, no electrons?

Necessity, I'm afraid. It was going to be just a small Naim system for my "office", but then I morphed into a sheep.........Baaaaaaa, another power supply, baaaaaaaaaa!

And because I'm short of space in the office, the only way is up! The LP12's platter is on a level with the top of my head.....(5' 9" ish)

7. Flibbles

Flibbles Active Member

This has become quite a Naim thread. Is that because:
    a) they are the people who just happened to have reponded,
    b) Naim units see the most performance increase when put correctly in the rack
    c) Cause you have to have so many units and therefore there are so many transformers to interfere with the sound it is imperative the order is right.
    d) Other

Do other systems order not have as big as impact?

I have a some Naim stuff before it looks like I am Naim bashing. (I mainly use the units as a wall between the living room and kitchen ;))

8. audiopile

audiopile pfm Member

TT where you can conveniently use it -probably at top of rack -lights shining down onto TT's are helpful. However - my big concern is ventilation - manufacturers pay more for covers with holes in "em -therefore assume they serve a purpose ? My rule of thumb is allow at least three inches (75mm) above any component with a vented cover(s) . Check this after running the equipment for 45 min or so -is it hot ? If so add another couple of inches (50mm) . Enclosed racks/cabinets are very popular here in the USA and a really bad idea everywhere (exception : small children and cats). And obviously real Class A amps and tube gear are a different challenge.

9. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

That looks like a really solid solution.Inspires confidence.

10. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

It takes me back seeing that. I remember the ads in the rags back in the day, in fact that exact one. I always thought it was a very tidy solution.

Del monaco likes this.
  11. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Bet it was great with Naim. Compliments the kit very well.

12. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I think this probably because Naim systems usually have more boxes. A typical Naim amplifier setup has at least 3 boxes. My setup has 3 250s, a NAXO, a SNAPS and a 32.

Other systems may have an integrated amp, amp and pre or less commonly pre and 2 monoblocks.

I have my 250s at the bottom of the stack, then the SNAPS, 32 and NAXO, then the CD and finally the LP12.

Weight at the bottom for stability. Sources at the top for convenience.

13. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I never thought of that! Of course rack builders loved Naim, as more boxes equals more racks!!

Del monaco likes this.
  14. suzywong

Are you not short of a PSU in that list? Or is your SNAPS powering both 32 and NAXO?

15. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

The SNAPS currently powers both. I do however have a spare SNAPS and am exploring options including converting the 32 to a 32.5.

16. suzywong

have you tried one SNAPS on the pre and t’other on the XO? Are you driving Briks?

17. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Love it. A proper Hi Fi looking Hi Fi. ;)

Rug Doc likes this.
  18. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I have considered this but it would require some changes to NAXO. It is one of very first in NAC12 sized case. It would need a different or additional socket. Alternatively changes to the interconnects would be needed. I am going to be speaking to Witch Hat about options.

19. suzywong

Sounds like you’ve got a piece of “Naim history“ there. :)

20. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Certainly, the SNAPS is s/n 0007 the NAXO s/n 0010 the Briks s/n 13 & 14. If I remember correctly the SNAPS would originally have powered a 22 paired with my father's first 250. This was originally driving the first generation of Isobariks which had what I call slab sides, ie there was no woodwork visible on the front of the speaker. Occasionally the 250 would shut down, dad liked his classical music at realistic sound levels.