1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[IC] High-end olive Naim system (teaser)

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Tony L, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

[​IMG]

This thread is just a teaser as I have a fair bit of work to do before this lot is ready for sale, and when it is I’ll be listing it separately (unless someone makes me a very, very good offer for the lot).

What we have here is:

CDS/II CD head unit with ‘Flash’ remote.
    XPS PSU for the above.
    NAC 82 preamp (I assume with the NAPST or whatever the it is called).
    HiCap PSU.
    2x NAP 135 power amps.
    SBL speakers, late model in cherry finish. I have the foam grilles, though they are certainly on the way out.
    Some totally unmanageable NAC A5 cable that really didn’t want to get back in the box it jumped out of.

The reason I have a fair bit of work to do is the system has sat unused for a long time and I need to carefully establish current working condition, plus give it all a good gentle but thorough cleaning for photos etc. I do know it is all in very good condition if a bit grubby and has never been tampered with at all. All one owner from new (a friend) and everything is Naim factory stock condition. The SBL gaskets are apparently still intact only having been separated once from new for boxing up for the journey to my house.

The reason for this thread is just to test the water and see if anyone is after anything in particular as that may help decide the order I get to things. Even so this may take me some time as I’m quite busy at present. As stated, this thread is a teaser! Its here, and its coming!

Everything will be individually assessed, but this is classic Naim Audio of a certain age so it will be sold on the assumption that a Naim factory service is to be highly recommended, maybe even essential. The way I look at it is these are cosmetically excellent boxed late examples for the buyer to refurbish to taste. Nothing has ever been botched or meddled with. I know their full history.

Any shipping will be done 100% at the buyer’s risk! I would be very reluctant to ship the SBLs (which are so much heavier than I was expecting!) or the CDS/II.

2. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

PM sent.

Regards

Richard

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Thanks, I’m getting quite a bit of interest in the various amp bits so far, so that is where I will start cleaning and testing.

4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Wow, how have you come by this? Potentially interested in the CDS11.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m selling it for a friend, someone I’ve known for well over 20 years. I have heard this system many times in the distant past, often accompanied by some very decent red wine! FWIW this is the system that persuaded me that I do actually like SBLs despite always being firmly on the Isobarik side of that particular argument at that time!

You are the first interest in the CDS/II so you are at the top of that list. I’ll be going through the amps first as those requests came in first. I did give the CDS head-unit a quick look and provisional clean earlier before putting the ad up figuring it would give me the best indicator of current condition being at the top of the rack and the most touched item. It is in very nice physical condition and was shipped with transit bolts correctly in place. I have not powered anything up yet so no idea what it does beyond that.

6. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Tony, depending on condition and as long as they are Mark 2 versions I might be interested in the SBLs. No hurry whatsoever, but when you have given them the once over and got some pics can you send me them. No need to assemble, pics of the individual boxes is actually better with these speakers. I would replace the foams grilles anyway and the gaskets, spike mounts etc. so it's just the cabinet and driver condition that matters to me. Cheers.

PS the extra power supply for the 82 is a NAPSC.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Excellent, thanks. I’m pretty certain they are MkIIs. I have to admit I know next to nothing about SBLs, I’ve never set a pair up and I have no idea how they are packed in the boxes. They are also far, far heavier than I expected so I’m not actually convinced I can unpack them to check on my own. As such they may take the most time to get to! What I do know for sure is that they were bought new, installed by the dealer (a well respected Naim dealer), and never touched until they were disassembled for packing last weekend. They have been moved just once since new! You have first refusal anyhow.

8. ajm

ajm pfm Member

According to the Naim website the SBL MK2 was introduced in 1995. The serial number shown on the SBL boxes (160xxx) dates them to 1999 so they should definitely be the MK2 version.

There's a thread here on the Naim forum showing the different drive units:

https://community.naimaudio.com/t/naim-sbl-mk1-vs-mk2/4826/21

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Excellent, definitely MkIIs then!

10. Lambros

Lambros pfm Member

Tony

I would also be interested in the SBLs if tiggers decides to pass on them.

Thanks

Lambros

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I would only be interested in the head unit as I have the required power supply.

12. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

SBLs proving popular, I know of another pair which will be on the market soon.

13. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

As an aside, if the SBL's are in original packing they are quite simple for one person to slide out of boxes and assemble. Make sure the alloy plates are nice and flat and have some fairy liquid to hand along with the clear silicone. Oh and a bit of thick cardboard to space tweeter box before tightening. I enjoy setting these up.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

[​IMG]

Another teaser to give a basic indication of condition. After a damn good clean (if I I know anything I know how to clean audio kit, synths, guitars etc!) they really are tidy. No scratches, no marks, no corner dings etc, just mint cases that were sitting under 20+ years of city dust, and now aren’t! The 82 will have a moving coil phono stage fitted.

[​IMG]

I’ll leave them powered for a few hours to wake the caps up then dig out the 135s, give them a bath, and see what works! That may roll into tomorrow.

15. nicnaim

nicnaim Toon Toon

Tony, you can add me to list of those interested in the 135’s

Regards

Nic

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Will do.

PS At this stage, and again please factor that I don’t know what works yet, I’d like to sell the CDS/II and the XPS together. I don’t really want to get left with an XPS as that might be a tough sell.

17. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

I could be tempted if they’re also late Mk2 and in a light veneer. I would have jumped at Tony’s if they had been!

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

They are in cherry, I have been pm’d on them so will let him know first. I won’t be handling the sale personally.

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

[​IMG]

135s out and cleaned-up. Again absolutely immaculate. As many who follow my own audio threads will know I’m picky as hell and I’d very happily own this kit condition-wise, after the cleaning it really could pass as NOS.

There were a selection of remote controls, one new/sealed that I will sell with the 82, a Flash, which has a very small chip on the base, I’ll sell that with the CD, and also a rather tatty standard remote, which I guess probably belongs with the CD too.

Right, I’m at the point where I can power-up the 135s and assess working status. Everything is hooked up and ready to go. My normal approach with elderly solid state kit that hasn’t been used in a while is to power it up with no input signal and nothing connected to the output, let it sit for a while, and then measure DC offset at the speaker terminals which gives a great indication as to whether the power amps are ok without risking a pair of speakers. Is this safe to do with this period of Naim kit? I know there is all the stuff about 4m of Naim cable etc to keep them stable, but I’m only talking about powered up, there is no signal going through, no speaker load. Any other solid state amp would be fine. I do have a slightly tatty pair of Kytes I can use for testing that also came with the system, but I’d prefer not to blow them up as I’ve actually got a buyer for them! I don’t want to use any of my own speakers unless I’m absolutely sure it is all behaving itself!

PS SBLs now sold subject to payment/collection.

20. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Thanks - not for me in Cherry, but thanks for replying.

Bump for Tony.