1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[IC] High-end olive Naim system (teaser)

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Tony L, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

Some sun in Liverpool! As opposed to Sun.

I'd be interested in the 135s if Nic passes

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Not in Liverpool anymore, I moved about 18 years ago! I’m closer to Manchester these days.

PS I powered the 135s, one has 10mV DC offset, the other 13mV, so both looking nice and healthy. I’ll hook up the Kytes later and see what comes out...

Nero likes this.
  3. Seanf

Seanf pfm Member

If somebody wants the CDSII on its own, I might be interested in the XPS. Put me on the list please. Should I PM you too?

4. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

Tony the NAC82 looks mint and with that serial number on the box is a fine 1999 example and probably has the pots 8 fitted.

5. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

POTS 8 from 138507??

Regards

Richard

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Right, a lengthy afternoon spent testing...

[​IMG]

The 82 is not well. To be honest I was expecting this as the owner was under that impression too, but I wanted to do my own testing and investigation first just to rule out dirty plugs etc.

The logic board is clearly fine, the remote control works fine, can select inputs, adjust volume, balance etc. The issue is the sound, it sounds distorted in almost a cool glitch electronica way, vaguely similar to a CD skipping, but without the actual skipping. I cleaned all the contacts and checked continuity of the SNAIC. All pins are fine, but there is no continuity between the two metal plugs themselves. Should there be? Anyway it is what it is and will be priced accordingly. I had quick peep inside and it is mint with no obvious issues, i.e. no leaked caps, loose wires etc. Looks great, just sounds crap!

I have no reason to believe the HiCap has any issues, I can test voltages if required. I’m selling that as working.

The 135s are absolutely fine, I hooked them up to my little DIY passive pot in a tupperware box (by the right Kyte) and clean clear undistorted Miles Davis came out if the Kytes. No one can want more from an amp than that. They are not consecutive serial numbers, but I’m going to look into this. After chatting to the owner these are actually the only part of the system not bought new, they were originally owned by another friend who upgraded from a 6-pack to 3x500, so there is a very good chance they were matched by Naim, but I’ll write to them for confirmation there. The serials are within a few hundred and close to the end of olive production.

7. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

I thought it was later oh well at least Tony's example is definitely a pots 8 :)

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What does ‘pots 8’ mean?

My Naim knowledge is really pre-olive, I had various systems up to a 32.5/HiCap/135s, all ‘chrome bumper’. The only olive stuff I’ve ever owned was a CDX and a various Nait 2s when I later went through a ‘minimalism’ phase.

9. mjw

mjw pfm Member

It just means the latest (8th) iteration of the volume and balance potentiometer circuitry - supposed to sound better.

10. robs

robs pfm Member

Ref the SBLs, The way I've always unpacked/packed them is to open up the end of the box the bases are in, turn it vertical with the end flaps open, and slide the box up off the speakers/packing.
    For reboxing, position the speakers in the packing, couple of wraps of tape to keep the packing altogether, slide the box down over, turn it and seal up....
    if that makes sense, much easier than trying to lift or slide the speakers out..
    ..just sayin'...

booja30 likes this.
  11. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Do you have the link plug fitted and cables correct?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, all was setup correctly with the link in place. I even remembered which way round the SNAIC went!

PS Late last night I measured the HiCap Socket 4 and both outs are 24.8V (without load), so that’s looking fine. Looks mint inside too, certainly no evidence of anything wrong anywhere. If anyone has any other ideas to check that would be useful. The annoyance is as the power amps 135s I can’t double check the way one could with a 180 or smaller, i.e. I can’t run it without the HiCap.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I can concur that if Tony describes something as "absolutely immaculate" then you can bet that it is in better condition than 50% of what came out of the factory. Tony could find a flaw on a Faberge egg.

martin clark likes this.
  14. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Maybe someone local with a Naim Pre and Power with inbuilt power supply like a 140 can help you check and confirm the issue. Have you pressing the front buttons and cleaning them? It might be stuck in mute/monitor or something.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The buttons appear to be functional, i.e. they all light upon either a press or via the remote control. I tried more than one line input too in order to rule out the DIN socket (though obviously I can’t do that with the SNAIC). No difference. They also certainly select the appropriate input. The mute and mono buttons work too. I’m pretty certain the ‘logic’ side is working exactly as it should. The sonic issue applies to both channels too, which made me suspect power (i.e. under-voltage), but the HiCap seems fine. Very confusing!

Can anyone confirm whether the metal DIN plug casings at either end of the SNAIC should have electrical continuity with each other? I’d have assumed the ground would be via the plug casing, but there is no continuity. Is this correct? If not it may be the issue. All five pins have continuity.

16. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I'm sure Mark @MJS or others will be along shortly to offer further advice. Hopefully, it's something simple.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

CDS/II cleaned and up and running playing the pictured Keith Jarrett CD as I type:

[​IMG]

No issues at all so far, and it really does sound superb (I’ve got it hooked up to the Audio Synthesis passive pre/303 and La Scalas). A very big solid, punchy and dynamic sound but with real refinement too. This one deserves its reputation as one of the best CD players out there and I’d be tempted to buy it myself if it wasn’t so bloody big physically (I’ve nowhere to put it!). There are a couple of light polishing marks/swirls on the plastic lid, other than that pretty much mint.

[​IMG]

The ‘Flash’ remote is the only part of this system with any signs of wear, you’ll notice a couple of light marks which are chips through the paint, there is a similar one on the rear. I’ve cleaned it up and tested it and it works perfectly. A thankfully it had been stored without batteries so no corrosion or anything (same with the 82’s remote, I did open the sealed one just to check it).

PS The CDS/II has its standard 5 pin interconnect, I just forgot to stick it in the pic!

18. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Tony not back until tomorrow afternoon but will test one of my SNAICs then and see if the metal DIN plug casings are connected. I would assume they would be, but we all know what happens when we assume.

PS all buttons and LEDs powered by NAPSC so would expect all that to work.

19. mickyricky

mickyricky pfm Member

Tony .
    I have an 82 that I hadn’t used for a canny while ..I just loaned to a friend whom I sharing a system room at Kegworth , he reported that on first switch on it sounded crap but after a while to warm up it got better and better ..we may be using it at Kegworth ..have you left it switch on for a while ?

20. Richard Lines

Richard Lines pfm Member

Tony,

I've just tested a 5 pin SNAIC and there is no continuity between the plug metal cases.

Regards

Richard

Tony L and tiggers like this.