1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[IC] High-end olive Naim system (teaser)

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Tony L, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Jo Sharp

Jo Sharp Pulls on doors marked push

IIRC the shielding in the SNAIC cable is only connected to ‘earth’ at one end..presumably to prevent an earth loop with the 0V line in the cable? Might be completely wrong on this though....

2. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

That sounds right to me Jo.

I think it's worth the suggestion above - powering the system on for a few hours to see if the 82 comes to life.

135s on La Scalas might be interesting!

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I did leave the 82/HiCap powered for several hours prior to trying the 135s, certainly 5-6 hours or so. This is definitely a fault condition, i.e. something actually distorting, not a subjective sound quality assessment. Given the HiCap shows the correct voltage measurements the only conclusion I can really draw is the 82 has an issue. I’m hoping this doesn’t impact value too much as this is all elderly kit now and all is well overdue a Naim factory service, and I doubt it will cost much on top of that to get what I bet is a minor issue fixed. That’s on the next owner anyway. I’m selling all this as described with no warranty of any kind. Naim kit is designed to be left powered 24/7 and serviced every decade or so, and I’m sure the future owners will do just that.

What we have here is cosmetically superb boxed late examples that, with the exception of the 82, do at least appear to work prior to whatever servicing the next owner desires.

PS For further clarity the 82 distortion issue tracks with volume (clearly ‘pre-fader’ in studio terms) and impacts both channels though not in a synchronised way, i.e. the distortion kind of flickers between the channels in stereo impacting one channel, the other, or both seemingly randomly. If I had to guess with next to zero electronics knowledge I’d say something wasn’t getting enough power, but the HiCap seems absolutely fine.

4. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

Isn't powering the 82 with a HiCap optional? Can't it run on just the NAPSC?

If this was already tried/explained, sorry. I tried to read the thread thoroughly.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They are completely different; the NAPSC powers the logic control (remote, input switching, LEDs etc), the HiCap the audio circuitry. In this context I need both, with one of the lower tier Naim power amps you could just use the NAPSC and power the audio circuit from the power amp. As such I’ve no further testing I can do, but given I’ve measured correct voltage output from the HiCap I’m confident the issue has to be with the 82 itself.

booja30 likes this.
  6. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Tony,

Can I have first right of refusal on the nac — Naim Audio Cat? Looks to be in good shape.

I'd pay extra if it comes with the original nac logo.

[​IMG]

Joe

7. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Tony, can you check the power output voltage of the NAPSC for the 82?

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

That’s the pfm HR Department.

I’ll dig it out later and have a go, its all boxed up down the cellar again, but the NAPSC is thankfully at the top of the box! What should it measure? It runs a bit warm, which surprised me given its meant to be left on for a decade or so.

9. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

NAPSC should be 18.5v I think. It would rule that out as a problem if it is on 18.5v

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Interesting, its measuring 16.85V, so its a bit low if its meant to be 18.5V. This obviously without load, as was the HiCap measurement. I’ll pop the lid off later and see what the inside looks like.

11. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I've had a read and I think it is mean't to provide 18v DC, so yours is not far away at 16.85v - I would be surprised if that was the problem. More likely to be a sticky relay or such....

NAPSC Internals - I was looking for a trimmer pot:

[​IMG]

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, I popped the lid and no pot! Nothing to fiddle with at all. It looks identical to the pic right down to the black marker on the LM317. No leaky or bulging caps, everything just perfect visually as is the 82. I think I’ll have to sell the 82 as-is. I’m convinced it is minor as it so nearly works, all the logic is working and sound comes out, it is just a bit fuzzy. I bet the culprit costs a quid or less!

I’ll have a long think over the weekend about pricing for everything. I’ve got plenty of interest in every component now (SBL sale already agreed), I just need to get the right money for everything as they are very good examples. As a collector of vintage audio myself I’d always take mint cosmetically and in need of a service over poor cosmetics or anything botched. Every time!

13. peterm

peterm pfm Member

NAPSC powers the logic, not audio circuits.

If remote operates switching, volume & balance I don't think that's the problem.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

All logic works, yes. I tested volume, balance, input selection, mute, mono, all function as expected.

15. peterm

peterm pfm Member

I don't intend to open up my 82 right now, and I can't find the photos I took at the time, but when I did a couple of repairs to my 82 (replacing volume pot and tracing a duff tantalum cap on the output) I seem to remember some ribbon cables and edge connectors to the corresponding boards - sorry to be so vague!

Your symptoms sound like dodgy connections to me, can you see any edge connectors to wiggle a bit?

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I didn’t go through un-plugging/re-plugging anything, but certainly nothing looking ‘off’. It really does look immaculate inside. To be honest I think I’m done now, I’ve cleaned everything, checked everything and given a fair assessment. Its not really for me to try and fix and I’d hate to make anything worse. I’m also assuming that most folk interested in a classic Naim kit of this calibre would want to send it back for a factory service anyway. There is certainly nothing obvious wrong in there. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if it wasn’t something as simple as a 20p tantalum cap somewhere as they are notorious for shorting on old computers etc, but the next owner can find it! It mostly works!

17. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Naim service is £340, Class A may be a little cheaper as factory charges a set fee.

18. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Another option is to send it to the ex-naim engineers at WitchHat who know the 82 inside-out.

It will be a good buy for someone. I'm actually tempted myself, the 82 was my first Naim Pre-Amp.

19. richth

richth Well-Known Member

So much nice kit there. I'd love the 135s if I hadn't already spent far too much on amplification recently!

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Ok, some prices:

CDS/II complete with Flash remote and Naim interconnect: £850.
    XPS complete with burndy and Naim mains lead £750.
    82 complete with NAPSC, NOS remote and sonic issue as described £500.
    HiCap complete with 5 pin SNAIC (mains lead included, but not Naim) £400.
    2x135 complete with Naim mains leads £1800.

Payment will be by bank transfer or in cash on collection. I will not do PayPal on this kit. Shipping, if required, is on the customer, i.e. you pay me, it clears, you then get a courier of your choice to collect with whatever insurance cover you require. The equipment is all in its original packaging, but even then sending the CDS2 worries me hugely even with its transit bolts all firmly in place.

I do have a list of interested people who I will drop through in order at these prices. First come first refusal.

I am only dealing with pfm members with 50 posts or more and > 3 months membership (i.e. I am heeding pfm’s advertised security recommendations!).

PS The first two people interested in the CDS2/XPS are interested in one part each, hence the separate pricing. If either fall through I will initially offer them as a pair.