1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

His Dark Materials

Discussion in 'off topic' started by peterm, Nov 3, 2019.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

tones.

i was just kidding -- giving it the hannity spin.

2. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I'm afraid I can't be doing with fantasy/supernatural stuff like Harry Potter, Dark Materials, Tolkien and so forth. It just seems childish, or at best, adolescent. My loss, no doubt.

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

It’s odd isn’t it, that SciFi fans and fantasy fans don’t often mix, but bookshops tend to mash the two genres together.

that said, while I’m entirely with you on Tolkien, I do think HDM is exceptional.

stephen bennett and Nick_G like this.
  4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I haven't read the books but I like the author based upon his viewpoint & how he comes across. I though the film worked as a piece of entertainment & had some excellent set pieces.

5. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

Read the trilogy a couple of times and like them a lot. Watched the first episode last night with some enthusiasm but a little disappointed with the acting and suitability of some of the actors for the characters. Only first one so will continue watching.

6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

I think Ruth Wilson could be amazing as Mrs Coulter, but I’m less sure about James McEvoy as Asriel. I thought Daniel Craig was good in that role in the film adaptation, albeit the film wasn’t that true to the book.

7. Joe

Joe pfm Member

This thread has already caused me to have to buy three new books so I don't see why you should escape. :)

8. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I find LotR's unreadable.I have tried several time but have never manage to get more than 150 pages in. It is just waffle with a million stupid made-up names.

Plot.. has to take a ring to a mountain/volcano and throw a ring into it.

Three huge books to do that !!!

Zeusum and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  9. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i feel exactly the same way. introducing the supernatural into a story is pretty much the equivalent of having dialog that disregards believable psychology/behaviour.

MikeMA likes this.
  10. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

It's a bit more complicated than that. The first book, La Belle Sauvage, is set about 10 years before the original trilogy. The second book, The Secret Commonwealth, is set maybe 10 years after the original trilogy. Lyra is 20 years old in this book. So far it's every bit as good as the original stories.

ff1d1l likes this.
  11. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

i think it's because they often feature cover art with a lot of gaudy stylistic similarities.

[​IMG]

12. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

A bit more edgy and adult too, the new book.

Nick_G likes this.
  13. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Joe,

For people who don't get LoTR, I suggest they read the books backwards. It becomes a delightful saga about a little guy who gets a cool ring from a volcano and spends an eternity waking home.

Joe

Alex S and Joe like this.
  14. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I tend to agree with this. There is enough weird stuff in our world without having to make it up.

15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre, on the whole (and, like Joe, just can't stomach LoTR), but the little I've read does sometimes let us hold a mirror up to ourselves and see our society from a different POV; at least I think it does, and that's certainly the case for the (small amount of) stuff I've read, especially HDM. So I think it has value and merit in that regard. In much the same way, good SciFi is not only imaginative in a 'what if..?' sort of way, but can also give us insights into our own society, or its possible direction of travel perhaps.

Nick_G likes this.
  16. Joe P

Listen, you clowns. Without made-up shit we'd have no works fiction and, more importantly, no Star Trek.

And in a world without Star Trek I'd need a new avatar! Let's not go there.

Joe

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Blimey, I wasn’t expecting you to have abandoned Wagner!

Spike likes this.
  18. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Why didn’t they just give the rings to to the eagles?

Stephen

19. Joe P

Stephen,

The ****ing Eagles? Dude, that makes no sense at all.

Joe

stephen bennett likes this.
  20. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

rofl.