1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

His Dark Materials

Discussion in 'off topic' started by peterm, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Part of the problem for me is that I read shedloads of sci-fi in my early-mid teens and if I try to read it now, it feels like a genre I've grown out of. I thought it was mildly ridiculous when people on my MA course raved on about Harry Potter. It's like I was still raving on about the Jennings books in my early 20s. (They are jolly good, though).

MikeMA likes this.
  2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Joe,

pppppft

Joe

3. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I'm not trying to stop anyone else reading the stuff. They can even watch rugby union if they like.

4. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

not this year...not for a while.

5. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

making stuff up is OK, as long as it's plausible. supernatural is for kids -- although,, even as a kid, i didn't like it: would always be asking parents/adults if X or Y really existed (one i recall distinctly was a dragon).

6. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Sauron's all-seeing eye would have spotted them.
    If I had a pound for every time...

Joe and stephen bennett like this.
  7. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Not the band obvs. They’d still be locked in a hotel somewhere.

Stephen

8. stephen bennett

Chaffinches then. Or sparrows.

Stephen

lazycat and Weekender like this.
  9. tones

tones Tones deaf

There you have me - my knowledge of Hannity doesn't go much beyond the fact that such a person exists. I have only heard him in excerpts of The Daily Show, where Jon Stewart delighted in showing what a humbug he was.

10. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

OK, you don't really know hannity, but you've surely not missed the incessant right-wing bashing of hollywood's promotion of anti-american, san francisco values over the past 2 decades?

11. Spike

Spike pfm Member

12. eisenach

eisenach Thüringen

Just watched it. I read the books years ago. I thought it was brilliant, though I wish my memory were better!

Bravo!

13. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I have to admit I love His Dark Materials. This is an excellent adaptation. Anything about killing god can’t be a bad thing.

14. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

Nah, that could never have happened... you need to read the Silmarillion and all the other stuff to understand why

15. stephen bennett

I could barely get through all the stuff about furry feet and pipes in LOTR.

And the awful poetry.

Stephen

lazycat and tqineil like this.
  16. sm1907

sm1907 pfm Member

No TARDIS but otherwise reminded me of Dr Who

17. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

I persevered with the books, though I found them rather boring and very pretentious.They're somewhere on my bookshelf, but I've no desire to revisit them.

18. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Are you talking about HDM, or LoTR?

19. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

What the thread is about, or was when it started. HDM. I always enjoyed LoTR till the films ruined it. For those who can't get into LoTR I always suggest starting at page 100.

20. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Do you suggest a finishing page also?

Alex S and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.