1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

His Dark Materials

Discussion in 'off topic' started by peterm, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Yes... with me it was always page 150.

ff1d1l likes this.
  2. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Tried watching this on the chromecast and the dialogue was completely inaudible over the thunderous music. :-( It sounded as though the dialogue track was missing.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Sounded fine here, very high production values all round. Dialogue very clear via standard TV stereo out via a Quad 303 and Klipsch La Scalas. Do the BBC broadcast this sort of thing in surround sound? If so you might have a setting wrong somewhere I guess and just be getting the front L & R with no centre.

4. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I missed episode 1, but have the rest recorded...will start tonight in London.

5. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Fine here through a NAD C272 and MA GR60s. Agree with Tony L re settings.

6. Bart

Bart pfm Member

I too persevered with the books, lots of inventiveness but little coherence as far as I’m concerned. The third one was quite baffling to be honest. Certainly don’t expect the series to give me any further understanding so won’t be bothering.

7. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Haven't read HDMs and watched the first two episodes. Children are weird, but some get even stranger when they grow up. I like the airships. They would be a massive improvement over National Rail.

Jack

ks.234 likes this.
  8. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

well on one showing I liked it better than the previous film version..a bit grittier, but a long way to go. The actress playing Lyra was great, and believably wilful and grubby. sfsg.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Philip Pullman has described Nigel Farage as “a bollock-faced foghorn of ignorance”, which makes him the greatest author ever IMHO (Metro).

Alex S, Taff63, ff1d1l and 8 others like this.
  10. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Terrorist

I remember reading the books because when they were initially released you couldn't listen to a Radio 4 arts programme without a gushing review. They were OK.

I'll no doubt watch this in a few years time when it is on the iTunes or Netflix.

EDIT: Given the fantastic description of Farridge above, I will make more of an effort and maybe even read the new books.

11. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

Having wasted three hours of my life watching War of the Worlds on Sunday I just thought I'd check to see if this is worth watching.

I've got it on series record so it may be something to watch over the Xmas holidays if it is any good.

12. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I have watched the first 4 on the advice of my eldest daughter, best advice she has given me other than telling me to shut-up.

Bloss

misterc6 likes this.
  13. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Best recent offering from the BBC at the moment

Mullardman likes this.
  14. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Thoroughly enjoying the series so far. Although departing from the original trilogy I can understand the reasons.

15. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I'm still very much enjoying it. Removing it from 'that Hollywood touch' as in the previous attempt' has done nothing but good, and the ugliness of the whole thing is excellent and somehow not too contrived. A keeper for me despite the Humax being 92% full just before christmas!