1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I remove WhatsApp?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stevec67, Mar 20, 2020.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I was asked to set up a WhatsApp for work. I used the work phone, it asked for my Google account to log in. All my phone numbers were copied to the work phone. It copied all my personal numbers also. I deleted them from my work phone, it deleted them from all devices. Thanks Google and f* you.
    1. How do I turn off the Google link from my work phone?
    2. How do I ditch WhatsApp?

2. garyi

garyi leave blank

What are you on about?

If work are suggesting whatsapp as a method for doing genuine business you might want to have a word, its facebook.

Facebook is not google.

Explain what you were trying to achieve and it might be easier to help.

3. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

you cant that's it, they've got you

Snufkin and Linds like this.
  4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve been asked by several friends to use Whatsapp as they are on it, but from what I can tell it just isn’t GDPR compliant at all. The price of use seems to be harvesting/data-mining your address book, which is copied to its own servers (a clear GDPR breach if you are running a business/have customer data etc). I have so far refused to install it as I’m just not prepared to give it access to my address book.

Snufkin likes this.
  5. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Bugger. I use it all the time.

6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

My work asked me to set up WhatsApp for group comms on my work mobile. So I did, at second asking. It has shared my address books across all devices. I am not having this. I am dumping it, how do I do it?

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Great. When I give the phone back at the end of the month I will save all to SIM then remove and burn it. They can have the phone back empty.

Snufkin and gintonic like this.
  8. garyi

garyi leave blank

Im very surprised a company would use whatapp for anything, seems, well.

We have dived into microsoft teams, which as I understand is free for a time, its bloody marvelous.

But it sounds like when you installed whatapp it asks for permission to access your contacts which you gave it, I dont know how google came into the equation though.

9. garyi

garyi leave blank

It asks for permission to access your address book on install, simply tell it no. My wider concern with it, it its facebook.

10. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I have a separate made up google account for my work phone, they can do what the f*ck they like with any of the stuff on that as none of it is personal.

11. Heckyman

Heckyman pfm Member

Bit too late I know, but I have work and personal Google Accounts and a dual SIM phone for such purposes, install What's App when someone asks and delete it when done. Also never use Facebook app on phone.

12. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Just delete it.

Like gary, I don’t see what google has to do with it. I use wotsapp and have never been hassled by it for anything to do with google.

13. garyi

garyi leave blank

Slack is another great colab app. I am still sort of reeling that any company would use WhatsApp

14. Gingerbeard

Gingerbeard pfm Member

why have personal details and contacts on your work phone, surely if you have your own phone as well this isn’t necessary and then you can just install WhatsApp on your work phone without any stress

seems to be a lot of paranoia about using these apps and there association with Facebook. I’ve been a long time user of WhatsApp both on a personal and business front and never experienced any problems

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Several years ago my employer did the same thing then I noticed one of my friends- a genuine master of the inappropriate- was coming through and I had no idea if his comments were visible to folk at work.
    I’m trying to remember the android equivalent of Apple ‘find friends’- someone I know got rid of his iPhone and switched, asking me to sign up. It looked like everyone in his address book could then track me and vice verse, so I got rid of that pronto.

16. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

A lot of these apps rely on the user nodding through conditions and requests as part of set up. It sounds like it offered Google Account as an access mechanism and "access to your personal contacts" as a set up option. One reason to be careful when setting up anything. I never use anything other than an independent log in to stuff and if it doesn't offer one, pass.

jackbarron likes this.
  17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Obviously I don't want personal details on my work phone, the problem is that the app helped itself and they are now linked. "Just installing WhatsApp on my work phone" was exactly what I set out to do, and it fked me.

18. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

Why are you reeling - it is no surprise to me almost every company (most Tech insustry - SE, app developers etc) i know uses it. Every student we have that goes on placement to a company uses it with their company. My wifes company uses it - which does surprise me given the type of work they do. IME over the last couple of years it is the defacto comms tool.

the free bit of teams is ok. We have a corporate licence and it is very sophisticated.

For simple VC type interaction, I recommend Zoom, although there are constraints on the free version, but it has proved brilliant for us teaching students online - we do have corporate licence

19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I didn't get the choice. It said "enter google account details" with no option to do otherwise . No further questions or permissions, off it went. Now I have to get rid of it and break the link between the 2 address books.

20. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

You need to have one Google account for work and a different one for personal use.

jackbarron and matt j like this.