1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I spend more than 50 quid on speakers!?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Minio, May 13, 2019.

1. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

I want to try JBL L40s but they seem quite rare.

2. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Not in my house ;)

Charlie_1 likes this.
  3. Minio

Minio pfm Member

As I lay me down to sleep, please God, can my speakers not be fun!

Actually, and I digress, Naim is not overpriced.

Its what people pay for it. They don't have to!

booja30 likes this.
  4. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Mine are not for sale but I can heartily recommend Opera Mezza 2012s.
    They do everything the op mentioned and have great imaging.
    I saw a couple of pairs on €bay recently.

5. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

No, you're in luck as the 505s really aren't very difficult to beat. Me? I'd say linn Saras. They'll do everything you like about the 505 but much better. Don't buy them if you live in a flat though as they do actual bass.

6. Minio

Minio pfm Member

The speaker I remember bettering the 505 would be Dynaudio 1.8 Contour mk2 and some others. Obviously better. More expensive speakers are better but they are also harder to please in terms of drive requirements and room dependency, not to mention personal taste.

So I suppose the difficulty is in taking the jump from low cost practicality to higher cost liability.

7. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

OP, it might be worth saying how much more than £50 you are willing to spend? Could you stretch to £2k or £3k, for example?

And presumably you are firing across the 3.5m room? So you have a relatively near-field set up, probably like my room. How wide apart do you set the speakers? Presumably they are a nice distance from the corners? Perhaps around 30cm behind?

If all the above sounds right, I tried some Proac D30 R in my room, which is the same width but not as long. Sadly the bass was too much, but with your extra dimension you could accomodate them.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  8. Allaboutmusic

Allaboutmusic pfm Member

Hi Minio, I have a room similar size to yours but a more modest system of rega brio 2017, rega dac-r and rega planar 3 with exact and have a sonos connect for streaming. However I tried loads of speakers at different price points including kef ls50, dynaudio Emit M10, harbeth p3esr, spendor a4, b&w 706 s2 and neat motive sx3 plus some of the larger harbeths which I just didn't like.

My favourite two were the neats and harbeth, ended up going for the neats as they had more bass. Although I really liked the harbeth there was just a few of my favourite songs where the lower frequency were gone.

In terms of your requirements the neats are a dry, quick and fun speaker to listen to with adequate bass in a small room. Go well with naim too so I am told, so might be worth a listen. They also sound excellent at lower volumes.

9. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

To describe a speaker as fun conveys a fundamental ability of that speaker to communicate the energy and life present in music.

Listen to some ATC SCM50, Quad ELS57 or Yamaha NS1000 for examples of speakers that are missing what Kans do in spades.

Is easy to spend a lot of money on speakers and get wrapped up and beguiled by their strengths whilst being blind to their deficiencies.

Bass is a particular problem as it’s very difficult to go low and tight and tuneful without considerable investment.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  10. Minio

Minio pfm Member

In this context I submit to the old Naim philosophy of the eighties. A thread pertaining recently cropped up on this forum.

That is, in effect, that you can enjoy many upgrades in source and amplification whilst hanging on to your entry level speakers.

Dare I say it!

herb likes this.
  11. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

That's been my experience too, particularly musical enjoyment and engagement. For new levels of clarity and detail then perhaps not the best approach but I'm not too interested in that side of HiFi.

12. Allaboutmusic

Allaboutmusic pfm Member

[
    I would like to hear the kans, I'm a fan of mini monitors, from what I have read they are a bit of a marmite speaker. What of the modern speakers do you think would compare? I suspect the neats from the descriptions I've read but have never compared so really only a guess.

13. david ellwood

Take a look at Ophidian prophet

14. Romulus

Romulus pfm Member

With all that Naim components its screaming out for Epos ES14's, the trick is to buy them for £50 or less...!

15. Minio

Minio pfm Member

I must have heard them in a shop 25 years ago.

Driven by Naim kit I remember the characterful sound making quite an impression. Sort of deep and dark.

16. Minio

Minio pfm Member

17. marshanp

marshanp pfm Member

Well that's useful - thank you. It is not an aspect of speaker performance to which I had given much thought. Not that all recordings capture "energy and life"... and some performances are not particularly energetic/lively, while still having much to commend them... so if a speaker produces those qualities regardless, is it a good one to live with?

18. david ellwood

I think you have to decide for yourself what qualities you place most stock by. There is no perfect answer.

booja30 likes this.
  19. retrospective

retrospective pfm Member

Am i the only one reading this as you like your speakers???

If so build a system that eeks everything out of them.

Personally i'd focus on amps i'd buy a few used oldies and have a play with them,discard what doesn't cut the mustard.

20. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Royd Edens or Linn Katans