1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How Long Before A Vote Of No Confidence In Johnson Government?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by maxflinn, Jul 24, 2019.

?

How long before a vote of no confidence in Johnson's Government?

1. Within a week.

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Within a month

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Before October 31st

60 vote(s)
    43.5%
  4. After a no deal Brexit

10 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. Not at all.

41 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. After failing to deliver Brexit on October 31st

21 vote(s)
    15.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I look forward to east Anglian champagne and Cheshire camembert then.

2. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Circular logic: Corbyn’s plan won’t get enough support if not enough MPs support him.

The point is that if enough MPs oppose no deal there is no principled reason not to support Labour’s plan. I wrote at some length about this recently so o won’t repeat the argument again other than to highlight the fact that 20+ Labour MPs are shaky about calling for a second referendum but could be persuaded by Corbyn’s plan. This is routinely ignored here and elsewhere but it’s crucial to the success of any plan to stop Brexit.

What’s going on is that Swinson seems intent to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and some Remainers are so blinded by their hatred of Corbyn that they’re happy to cheer her on.

maxflinn, Brian and ks.234 like this.
  3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I thought she was just pointing out the pitfalls, not suggesting LDs shouldn’t vote for it? I’ll be very disappointed if any LDs vote against or abstain. My bet is it will be the Labour ranks that lose this one.

4. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

We’d get our a££ES sued by the EU if we did that or they’d impose trade sanctions and bring other pressure to bear.

The UK probably will have its own ‘protected status’ but the big blocs could easily just ignore it. The EU status is backed up by immense financial clout. The UK is a minnow in comparison.

Stephen

5. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

But that nice Mr Trumps says we are going to have the bigliest trade deal in history.. a fully chlorinated and health insurance based deal that will be biglier than even the bigliest bigly thing ever...

It's gonna be great... really, really, great....

stephen bennett likes this.
  6. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

OK, so all the talk of country before party, does this apply to all parties? If, for example, a condition of the unity govt was for Corbyn to step aside, should he?

7. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

She is a Tory by any other name and a quite right-wing one.

I don't like Swinson, although her criticism of Corbyn is correct. Nicola Sturgeon has a more practical view about what should be done concerning a government of national unity and a VONC.

"Ms Swinson and Conservatives opposed to no deal were among those who rejected the idea of Mr Corbyn being interim leader, but Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon criticised the Lib Dem leader's stance, adding that "nothing should be ruled out"." - The Guardian.

Jack

sean99 likes this.
  8. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Corbyn does not have to step aside unless the aim is to return another term of tory incompetence at a GE.

9. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

No. That would be putting the conservative party first. Again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.