1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How many records/CDs

Discussion in 'music' started by Markus S, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

The object of this thread is twofold:

first, I'd like to find how many records and CDs you guys got. I have about 2,700 records and 400 Cds or so.

More importantly, how many albums do you think one should have?

I talked to my friendly record dealer (who does his utmost to get me vinyl where possible) recently, explaining that I feel I have too many records. They take up too much space. I have them in a purpose-built rack which is about 8' high. I can't pull albums on the top shelf without climbing on a chasir or something, which bugs me.

My record buying has diminished partly because I have many classic albums already and don't want/need to duplicate them in another format, and partly because I hesitate to add to my already-too-large-collection. I'm seriously thinking of downsizing it.

My dealer said nobody needed more than about a 1,000 records.

What do you think?

2. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

Chasir is Arabic for pig, I believe. Can't you just use a chair instead?

I have lots of records and CDs and feel no need to stop acquiring even more. I like having so many records that I can pull stuff out at random and find great things I haven't listened to for a while. It's great provided you don't spend all your time playing only a small percentage of what you have, which we're all prone to, I suspect.

-- Ian

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m probably at about 3000+ 12” bits of vinyl, 100 bits of vinyl of different sizes, and 1000 CDs comprising both albums and singles.

I try to keep to one copy per album – I always aim at finding a mint vinyl first pressing of any given work. Once I have a good vinyl copy I will sell the CD or later vinyl pressing, I don’t like having duplicates around taking up space. I sell a lot of records, and always pick stuff up at shops if I think I can make on it. As such I see my collection as being pretty fluid, there is a core of about 35-40% that you would have to threaten me at gunpoint to get, but the rest has a price over which I let it go.

Buying music for me is an act of discovery – I’d say 50% of what I buy is stuff I have heard nothing of previously. There are certain rules though, I will for instance buy any Blue Note or Impulse album recorded between about 1958 and 1965 and any Krautrock album recorded before 75 or so assuming I see them at a good price. Similar rules apply to a lot of leftfield 70s and early 80s music. The remaining 50% tend to be gap fillers that I stumble across whilst searching for gems in bargain bins – stuff I liked but never bothered buying new at full price.

Currently I buy very little new stuff; all I have bought this year is The White Stripes, The Coral, Kraftwerk and a couple of singles by local bands. The rest can wait until I meet it in a bargain bin.

Tony.

4. milk&juice

milk&juice New Member

man I thought I had a few but compared to you guys gee, I've got if I'm lucky 500 CDs and no LP though. Will have to visit HMV more often I think.

Dru

5. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

I don't know the exact numbers - gave up counting long ago. However, I can give you approximate dimensions:

20-odd feet of vinyl, plus perhaps 4 feet of 78s in various attics. Mostly secondhand.

Around 800 cds, maybe more. It used to be around 500 but then I obtained a wife and added her occasionally questionable collection to mine. I think she had around 4 feet of vinyl, which took me up to the 20 feet mark.

I think that's too much. I will try to thin the vinyl and cds down later this year, as I'd rather have half as many albums that I really love than the amount I do have which contains a lot of stuff I never listen to.

Put another way, I reckon there's 1500-2000 lps. Maybe less, as I said I don't know. Assuming 1500 lps, and given that due to the fact I've not got as much listening time as I'd like, I reckon I listen to an average of half to an hour worth of music per day (on the stereogram, not in the horseless carriage). By that token, and ignoring CDs, that's roughly an LP to two LPs a day - which would take me almost two years to listen to everything.

I'd love to say that I listen more, and frequently I do, but working 9-5 and also running a web company in my free time doesn't leave nearly as much freetime as I'd like...

:(

jtc

6. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Your dealer be a wise man! Nobody even needs that much. I'd say that in all honesty I listen to a hard-core of around 100 albums and cds on a regular basis, and maybe another 100 on an occasional basis. The rest are listened to only rarely.

Hopefully I'll have more time to rationalise what I have soon, and trim the numbers down whilst increasing the 'hard-core' to maybe 200 and the occasionals to another 200...

jtc

7. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

You can never have too much music, as long as you have space for it and the money to pay the insurance premium for it. Was it Rob in "high fidelity" that said you're not a music lover unless you have >500 unique musical items - fair point - so most "normal" people are, by definition, not music lovers - well, they listen to naff systems so not surprised they don't have more than they do!

I have duplicates of many of my items that I've upgraded from CD to LP, but will keep the CDs for Discman usage/at mates' etc.

I have approximately:
    700 CD Albums
    100 CD singles
    80 7inchers
    3 10inchers
    50 12inchers
    460 LPs (not bad considering about 350 of those were acquired in the last 4 years, since I discovered Notting Hill's MVE and charity shops)
    7 prerecorded MDs
    100ish 8tracks (mostly crap)
    100 Cassingles
    40ish remaining prerecorded tapes
    2 prerecorded reel-reel tapes (I'm NOT saying what THESE are!)
    1 prerecorded DAT tape (Technique - New Order - bought for weirdness - mate dubbed it to MD for me)

I have 8tracks in place of 78s, as I've not seen a gramophone at the right price. I'd give my left nad for a wax cylinder player though.

I've actually got one title on 4 formats - Double Fantasy by Lennon/Ono on cassette/8track/cd/vinyl (in order of sound quality) - a weird situation but it's one of those things.

I DO have a few LPs on duplicate, but I need to get off my fat butt and decide which to ditch/sell - I mean, how many copies of Love Over Gold does one man need (a lot, judging by how hard it is to get on decent condition vinyl - even my Simply Vinyl recent audiophile version isn't perfect - and for 17 quid - I expect perfection...)

8. SteveC

SteveC Satisficing

I wasn't aware NAD ever made monoblocks - or did you mean a monobollock?

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The purpose of a music collection needs to be defined further. If it is purely a handful of favourite recordings then your definition is possibly accurate. For me it is something very different and has many uses. As I mentioned earlier I see my collection very much as an educational tool, I am absolutely fascinated by music of all kinds, and very often the only way I can get to hear a piece is to buy it. Secondly it acts as a point of reference that I can refer back to and this is a valuable tool to help understand music history, structure and composition better. Thirdly its an investment – I am a pretty shrewd and knowledgeable second hand record buyer and my collection reflects this, it is worth at least 4-6 times what I paid for it. A far better return than having the money earning 3.5% in a savings account, and useful too!

Tony.

10. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

He he he - that gives a whole new meaning to the phrase coined by Nakamichi - "Music bank" :)

What's your rarest item then Tony? Mine's nothing too special but I think it would be Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms on CD single - one of only 600. Not so expensive as the almost 100 quid it would have fetched in the late 80s though :(

If I could get NOW 4 on CD though - they go for a whopping >£200 on Ebay - oh well, my NOW 8 and 9 together would get around £160 between them there ;)

I also have this weird promo thing - Black's Comedy on 3x3inch CD singles in a little gatefold box set - really really cute - probably worthless, but a nice little item.

11. penance

penance pfm Member

around 300 LP's
    120 7" singles
    200 CD's
    80 tapes

A lot of it i dont listen to, but i'd never get rid of it.
    To me my music is part of my life, so even if i dont listen to some of the stuff i bought in younger years it was a part of my growing up.
    Still buying, try to get mostly LP's but well recorded CD will suffice

12. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Oh ha ha! :D :cool: :p

Seriously though - I thought NAD *had* made monoblocks once - or was I just thinking 2 stereo amps bridged? Early 90s?

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve got some good Krautrock – all my Can LPs are UK originals as are the likes of Amon Düül II, Kraftwerk (full set) etc. Other good stuff includes a fully signed 1st Smiths LP (I’ve got some other signed stuff, but that’s the best), the JAMMS ‘1987 what the **** is going on’ and a lot of other rare new wave, indie and weird 70s rock, plus a full set of T,Rex, Bowie etc. I’ve also got some really good jazz too, probably over 60 mint 1950s-60s original pressings on Verve, Impulse, Atlantic etc plus a good number of crazy late 50s early 60s exotica. Never concentrated on 7” singles much, but I have got Floyd’s Arnold Layne and See Emily play.

There is some really unlikely stuff in there too just because I stumbled across it for peanuts – examples include the metal acetates for both Babylon Zoo’s Spaceman and some Nina Cherry 12” both found for 20p each, both obviously a one off. Must eBay them at some point… Got a fair few white label test pressings as well, both of indie and dance stuff and a lot of promos with press releases etc.

I tend not to keep reallyt valuable stuff unless I really love it (i.e. Kraut and jazz), but I’ve a hell of a lot of 20-40 quid stuff.

Tony.

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Seriously? Wow, I better start looking for them… Which numbers make any money? I’ve always thought that stuff was < £2! Time to do some research as I frequently ignore loads of it!

Tony.

15. domfjbrown

domfjbrown pfm Member

Let me know first - I love that track and would be curious to know how much you'd want for it - if you ever decide to punt it.

As for NOWs, well, muppets on Epay pay LOTS for anything <20 on CD (the tape/vinyl sets aren't worth much) - NOW 4 is one of the rarest EVER CDs (it's unbarcoded and has 15 tracks - NOT to be mistaken with the Hong Kong/US new NOW 4) and Now The Christmas Compact Disc is also fairly rare (I'm on the hunt for both). I have the Xmas one and 4 on vinyl anyway, so in no rush, but have a CDR of NOW 4 the CD....

16. OffColour

OffColour pfm Member

When I was about 17 I made the mistake of selling off a lot of vinyl that I didn't listen to anymore for beer money.

Some of the stuff I have not seen anywhere since and would snap hands off to get.

The whole point is your record collection defines your life. Things you did, places you went, people you saw and just what you were into at the time.

Every now and then I look through my collection and think I you should get rid of some of it, but I can't bring myself to do it.

So more shelving required then (I like it all on show...).

Gary

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m open to fairly substantial offers! It is a two sided metal lacquer, i.e. a thin disk of perfectly flat metal covered in wax that is made on the cutting lathe as the first stage of the record manufacturing process. It is a very early version of the song, none of the three tracks have the characteristic speeded up bit at the beginning that made the track famous. The cutting date is Jul 13th 1995.

The tracks are:
    Side A Spaceman (edit) 4:41
    Side B Spaceman (metal version) 3:48 & Spaceman (blue nude) 2:09.

I’d grade it as EX – there is the odd finger-mark (I haven’t cleaned it as lacquers are notoriously soft). It is in a stock white card sleeve and poly inner.

Tony.

[​IMG]

18. John

John TDS free

"My dealer said nobody needed more than about a 1,000 records.

What do you think?"

One thousand albums? That's all? What are you suppose to do once you reach that number, stop buying records? :confused:

Your record dealer doesn't sell used vinyl does he? Sounds like he wants you to part with some of your collection. :D

I've got somewhere around 3,500 records and try to shop once a week for more, looking mostly for new release vinyl. A few years ago I got rid of about 200+ records, sold them to my local used record store and got probably $300 for the whole batch. I have probably spent $50 buying back those same titles that I realized I shouldn't have sold in the first place. :mad:

19. SCIDB

SCIDB Triode Man

Hi,

I have a fair number of software items. I never get round to counting them.

I have over 20,000 pieces of vinyl (12" singles, 7" singles, 10" singles, LPs etc). I would say that there are at least 6000 LPs. I have in the region of over 7000 CDs (albums & singles). I do have quite a few box sets ( both vinyl & cd). I have a box full of cassettes. (not sure how many.) I do have the odd 78 records knocking around as well.

I have to point out that I have been a DJ for last 14 years but I have been buying vinyl since 1975.

I buy stuff that I may find interesting for my personal pleasure or my DJ work. I also get (most weeks) a fair amount of promos/white labels sent free. Over the last few years, I bought a number of record collections which has put me in touch with items that I don't see that often. This has given me more artists to listen to and enjoy (or not, depending on the tune).

Having a big collection has helped & increased my musical knowledge. It has given me a hell of a lot of pleasure over the years. I agree with Tony L, it has been a act of discovery at times.

Like Ian has mentioned, I can pull something out at random & find some thing that will entertain me. I try not to listen to the same few records (& CDs) over & over again.

The major downside for me (apart from storage & cost) is the lack of time to listen to it all but I make the most of it.

My first loves are Funk, Soul, Disco & Ska (1st wave)/ early reggae. James Brown is a big favourite of mine so he pops up the most in my collection. These are the styles I collect the most of.

I also have a fair house & dance collection & done well with 70s & 80s stuff. I have dipped my toes into most styles & have ended up with a increasing snap shot of popular music. This is mainly from the late 40s/early 50s to the present.

I still buy & listen to current music. I do need to do this for some of my DJ gigs. I also like a number of new & recent artists & tunes.
    But having some that, most of my gigs these days are for retro stuff.

I must admit, I too have sold records & CDs and made a few bob. I agree records & CDs can give you a better return than a saving account. I have a large number of items which are worth more than, say, £20 which I paid nothing or next to nothing for.

I'm not sure what is the rarest item in my collection. I do have some Ska items that would fetch over £70. I have a David Bowie tour promo which has a book price of £70. (I was given a box of these by the tour manager). I did have an Oasis promo that was worth £300. I didn't get my act into gear & ending selling it for a lot less. :( I do have some interesting funk, soul & Northern soul items that may go for a few pennies. :cool:

To the question of the number of items in your collection, you should have a collection that you are happy with. If you like to explore different styles & various artists then your collection will grow. If you are happy with a smaller snap shot of music than you don't need as many items.

So I don't fully agree with that dealer. You should have what you are happy with & enjoy your music.

My record collection is my life.

Dean

20. TomF

TomF pfm Member

And sadly that means that it shows I am

a) relativley poorer than when I was a student, and
    b) worrying myself that my taste may become middle aged.

I'd be interested to know what people spend on average every week/approx how many items that buys/where they shop.

For me, lack of time and the consequent need for convenience often means shopping on the high street where choice is more limited and prices higher.

Any thoughts?