1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How many think Corbyn will get in in Islington next election?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ff1d1l, Feb 10, 2019.

1. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_orders

Unspeakably insulting. Absolutely no need. You should hang your head in shame or at the very least ban yourself from the forum.

Post reported. No doubt I'll now get banned.

2. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Nobody's pure - they'll be folks here who receive an income derived from investments in the arms or tobacco trades for example, including those who were members of public sector pensions schemes.

wylton and HarryB like this.
  3. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

Tony, you are lucky you managed to avoid what many of us cannot. Unfortunately some of us are not that lucky. I'm not going to cry poor here, but do you really believe people have that much control of their destiny as you seem to think? It's one thing to blithely say you would rather accept unemployment benefit than work for employer X, which, in many ways, says a lot about you, but the reality is many do not have any choice, that is, assuming you're in a country where it covers even remotely your expenses. I'll tell you for nothing that you would accept the job with Rothermere if that is all there is. I've worked for Murdoch, and I cannot tell you how much I detest the man and what he stands for. There are times when you have no choice.

Ragaman and HarryB like this.
  4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The publication you worked for openly supported fascism at the time and has remained just as vile ever since. I don’t care how angry and aggressive you are, the sheer hypocrisy of slamming other people’s political views whilst having worked for such a grotesque, bigoted and fundamentally racist and xenophobic right-wing propaganda rag will not go unnoticed!

PsB and crimsondonkey like this.
  5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I lived in a Liverpool unemployment black-spot throughout a fair chunk of Thatcherism so I don’t need any lectures thank you! I suspect I know unemployment and poverty rather better than some here.

6. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

HarryB can defend himself, and I disagree with much of what he says and the manner of his delivery, but to be fair to him, lots of journalists write for papers and magazines of an opposite political pursuation to their own. Most newspapers and political magazines make a point of employing writers from the "opposition" in the interest of widening the debate. It's the way the industry works.

Ragaman and HarryB like this.
  7. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Do you know bringing up three children, being married, facing a house repossession and with a five figure legal bill over your head? No, thought not.

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Moving on...

Corbyn’s majority is so huge that even if it collapses by half, it’ll still be one of the safest seats in the country, so peak Corbyn or not, it’d take a fair sized political earthquake to shift him, I think.

Rockmeister likes this.
  9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

No, I acknowledge having a family to support may well significantly alter perspectives, but had I such an embarrassingly dark period of employment in my past I’d not be so hypocritical as to criticise the politics of others quite so readily and aggressively. That is all I am attacking here. Glass houses and all that.

PS I get the impression I must detest the Mail and its ilk far more than you - I have stood against racism, bigotry, homophobia etc all my adult life and I’d no more take that job than I would say web designer for the EDL, BNP, Britain First or whatever. They are ‘the enemy’ to my mind.

10. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

^ I despise the daily flail with a vengeance, cannot comment about the reasons in a public place.

I like Harry B for his posting style and political view.

I would love to see the flail bought down, maybe Harry could help with his know how.

Fingers crossed.

HarryB likes this.
  11. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Haha "embarrassingly dark period of employment". You really are a hoot. Are you on some sort of medication or do you just need to get out more.

It was a great job. I had a fantastic boss, I worked from home and was very well paid. Happy days.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I see the tabloid ad hominem and baseless smear is rooted very deep. You are indeed very ‘Mail On Sunday’!

13. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

anyway, surely that seat is so safe that JC must be a shoe in shoorely?

14. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I suspect so, though as pointed out before all the noise it will prove a very useful ‘peak Corbyn’ barometer. My guess is he will comfortably retain the seat, but with a much lower percentage of the vote as his Brexit views are so at odds with his area.

15. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Baseless smear? I think not. You commented some time ago that you rarely go out. But as you likened me to a Nazi war criminal earlier I think you have no room to complain.

16. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I think you'll find most of the offensive noise has been from you but never mind.

Corbyn's % vote is irrelevant. He wins or he doesn't. The % of the vote is obviously dependent on the other candidates. Historically the Lib Dems, Tories and Greens have all been useless. He'll win massively and that will be largely due to him being a fantastic MP for many years. But it doesn't matter, he could bring about world peace, find a cure for cancer, stop global warming and send you an expensive oriental rug and you'd still slag him off at every opportunity.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

What medication did you have in mind exactly? That was pure tabloid-grade baseless smear and slur, and nothing more/less than I’d expect from someone who, apparently very happily, worked for a paper that systemically demonises those on benefits, muslims, immigrants, gays, transgender folk etc etc etc. You really are a piece of work and my time platforming your bile, rudeness and aggression here, let alone your rank hypocrisy, is unquestionably reaching an end.

HarryB likes this.
  18. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I see. So, what do you propose? Banning me from YOUR forum for challenging YOUR vile slurs against me. They are on this thread for all to see. The Nuremberg one was particuarly offensive.

But it's your forum as you often remind us all so you can do as you see fit. I'll let others judge you for your actions. That seems reasonable to me.

19. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey pfm Member

The horror, you might end up on that Toxic muppet's place :eek:

20. savvypaul

savvypaul Member

JC will be fine regarding his own seat, he is a brilliant constituency MP, by all accounts. His position (or lack of it) on Brexit is understandable. More Labour seats voted Leave but more Labour voters voted Remain. That would be problematic for any leader.

Right now, the Tories are divided and incompetent, yet Labour cannot get a lead in the polls. Corbyn (seems a nice bloke, but not a leader) and McDonnell (a tad more competent, but does not seem like a nice bloke) are '30%' politicians. I can't see them getting into the 40 odd percent required to win a GE. Another hung parliament is their limit, I suspect.

Ragaman, gavreid and HarryB like this.