1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How much difference between streamers when using own dac?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Allaboutmusic, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Mentt

Mentt pfm Member

Yes, the same here. I was able to get for example Spendor D9(demo sample) with 60% down

2. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disrupticon

It shows you what the dealer pays for them...they where probably still making something on that as well.

3. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

anecdotally: my Hugo 2 went on the fritz and i bought a $80 Topping D10 as a stopgap until i got the Hugo repaired. the Topping sounded excellent -- so much so that i never got 'round to getting the Hugo fixed.

i've now moved on to the RME ADI-2 DAC, which is even more excellent. i bought the RME because its channel matching is basically perfect, and i wanted to reward that kind of awesome engineering and attention to detail.

but on the OT -- while i haven't done any blind tests (i can't even imagine how many chits i'd have to cash in with my wife before she'd help me do this) i believe i've heard differences among digital transports. i moved from a Sonore microRendu/Uptone Audio LPS 1 combo to an ultraRendu/Uptone LPS1.2 setup, and i felt that the latter gave a richer sound, to the extent that i moved my speakers farther out into the room to eliminate a bit of bass boom.

now, i could be imagining this -- or maybe the first setup above was allowing noise through that the DAC (at the time, the Hugo 2) couldn't cope with.

in another experiment, this time with the Topping DAC, i removed the ultraRendu altogether and hooked up my Roon server (a Small Green Computer sonicTransporter) directly to the DAC in endpoint mode. this really sounded like shit. gray and lifeless.

(again, no scientific rigor applied or implied.)

4. Mentt

Mentt pfm Member

Yes, such murkups are not cool

5. Sonci

Sonci pfm Member

I think I hear differences between flac and wav, let alone different streamers, but picking right in a blind test is ;)..

6. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

When I was blind testing files, I could not hear any difference between FLAC and WAV. I could however between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC. This was using the Foobar2000 ABX plugin and a pair of STAX headphones.

7. Mentt

Mentt pfm Member

How did you forced sonicTransporter to work as streamer(DAC end point)? I was not able to do that with my sonicTransporter. Not sure if it is really needed anymore as you reported “shit” result :-D But out of curiosity...

8. Mentt

Mentt pfm Member

personally I find difference between red book files and hires files very small. I think most important is quality mastering in the studio and avoiding applying “loud wars” shitty postproduction filters

9. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Active Member

In the market for a new streamer... I haven't had any home yet, and all the streaming at the dealers is built into a dac. Trying to find someplace with some good options.

Requirements:
    Spdif, good app interface, sound quality, ability to customize outputs, feed from NAS, and other crap I probably don't need but happy to have.

Been looking at DCS Network bridge to go with my Dac. But starting to think it's overkill. Although it checks every single box.

10. Mentt

Mentt pfm Member

I am happy with Aurender streamer A10, tried other Aurender models and liked them too. Aurender N10(4-8 TB internal storage)should meet your needs. Worth the demo for sure. Tried also lumin D1 and full Aries, but liked Aurender sound signature more. I was disappointed with original Sonore microRendu/lps1 combo.

11. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Active Member

Thanks. How is the Aurender software/app? pics i've seen make it look very oldschool.

12. Mentt

Mentt pfm Member

App is actually quite good. I would say only ROON app is more advanced

13. Amber Audio

Amber Audio Trade: Amber Audio

I was impressed with the Aurender App when I was at a friends place last year, but things do change quickly, I like Roon best, Auralic is decent but it is Apple only which puts some off.

Gus

JohnnyTT likes this.
  14. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Active Member

Thanks for the feedback.

Has anybody compared the Innuos Zen line? That box does everything in one. My only issue there is j need to add a usb - spdif converter.

15. Paul Burke

Paul Burke pfm Member

Own a zenith, it’s a great bit of kit. Does everything I need in one box and does it very well. Including roon core for me. Think they added coax out for the new mk3’s that are out now. Usb generally wins out though on most dacs, at least newer ones

16. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Only on the Zen Mini Mk3. The Zen and Zenith have the same USB and dual Ethernet connectivity as before.

17. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Whereabouts are you based?

18. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Active Member

I'm in the U.S.

So with the Zen, you don't need an additional endpoint? It handles it all in one box?

19. Paul Burke

Paul Burke pfm Member

Yes, does everything, I just add a usb dac, and sounds great

20. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

I know what you mean.
    Thursday I was listening to a dCS Rossini from a thumbdrive and heard repeatable differences between AIFF and WAV files of the same track.

I am pretty sure the artist in question (Runahild) does not have the means to make different versions of the same music.

The AIFF was a direct download from the Runahild page on Bandcamp whereas the WAV file was a dbpoweramp rip of the CD.
    The difference would probably go unnoticed on most systems but could be reliably heard on the Rossini; they were not huge but we did prefer the WAV.