1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How much difference between streamers when using own dac?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Allaboutmusic, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

Compared unsighted of course.
    Keith

2. Bhamer

Bhamer pfm Member

Whenever this question is asked these threads always deteriorate into the same debate.
    If you can hear a difference yourself then it's there if you can't it isn't.
    Although I have tried Melco for a week at home and found it no better than a windows tablet that is my experience and it is worth only that.
    The advice from Strictly Stereo to try for yourself is appropriate but be sure to do it at home in your own system and not in a hifi retailer who has a clear interest in a sale.

3. mattgbell

mattgbell Weird owl

In other words, it's religion.

4. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

If you want or expect to hear a difference you may do. Not want or expect it is unlikely but not impossible.

5. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

You are repeating yourself as often as a religious fanatic :)

The Chronicals, radamel and Mentt like this.
  6. SteveH

SteveH pfm Member

Exactly, which is why I agree with Keith; has to be blind.

Whenever possible, I insist on blind dems at dealers; last one I had was Naim vs Devialet - very interesting when you are unbiased by not knowing which amp is on.
    The most surprising for me was a Naim vs Linn streamer a few years back (HDX vs. Accurate I think?): One of them clearly had more pace, punch, PRaT etc., so that was clearly the Naim...except that it was actually the Linn when I was unblinded to "streamer A" and "streamer B".

Careful the volume doen't get nudged up a touch on the more expensive unit also...

booja30 likes this.
  7. Paul Burke

Paul Burke Well-Known Member

Tried my iPhone via usb into my dac last night. Tidal streaming on the hi-if quality setting, same as from the zenith, with usb into the same dac. No other way to describe it other than atrocious. Made a very good system sound awful.

Much bigger difference than I was expecting, didn’t even bother trying to blind test it was so obvious

8. camverton

camverton pfm Member

Needs to be over a period of some weeks of course. My brain isn’t up to comparing short samples one after the other. It is quite good over a period of time in deciding which option it is happy with, and this on equipment that sounds identical on quick level matched comparisons.

9. camverton

camverton pfm Member

If you want religion go to the poorly Quad thread and read the writings of the Anti Quad ;).

sq225917 likes this.
  10. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

Seriously an iphone?

11. Paul Burke

Yes? Lightning to usb adaptor. Apples connector for cameras. Heard of a few people using these to connect to a dac. Sounded terrible.

12. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Years ago, I used to dock mine into an Onkyo Digital Transport. It wasn’t terrible.

13. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

I know there is a view for a transport is a transport but thats pushing it for me!

14. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

It depends on the clocking and noise rejection

15. Paul Burke

Not a view I have at all. Hence owning a zenith and paying considerably more than I could have paid for the entry level version that would do the same thing

Also seems to be a view that with high end well made dacs they don’t need great transports. I don’t have a budget proper transport lying around to compare, maybe will do sometime

16. Paul Burke

Don’t get all the technical stuff with digital audio but if results are anything to go by, then not very good

17. Mentt

Mentt pfm Member

I haven’t seen DAC that wasn’t transport sensitive yet

18. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

+1
    That even includes the Chord DAC 64mkII set to maximum buffering - the buffering reduces the impact of the transport but does not make a DVD player sound the same as a decent CDT. It also clearly revealed the differences between the good value Cambridge CXC and the Moon 260DT (yes, Keith, we tried it blind with a totally blind friend who came in half way through the demo and had no idea what we were comparing but spontaneously, if a little unfairly, qualified the CXC as "lifeless shit" in comparison with the Moon).

Mentt likes this.
  19. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

I have to believe you Nigel, thank goodness I don’t have to listen to such poorly designed equipment,that is susceptible to every p/s,jitter, emf vagary.
    You should get yourself something decent.
    Keith

Curtis and Del monaco like this.
  20. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

The DAc64 is good (despite its age and 24/96 format limits) so is the Moon 260DT (CD transport, probably my last) but I am looking for a better DAC, preferably with steaming facilities included...

Suggestions of things to listen to apart from dCS Bartok and Rossini???