1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How much hair have you lost searching classical in Tidal?

Discussion in 'classical' started by FrankF, Mar 11, 2020.

1. FrankF

FrankF pfm Member

My main music genre is classical but I like a lot of different types of music so I thought and was hoping Tidal would fit the bill. However their database search function for classical is the biggest joke IMHO.

Sure I can go with Primephonic or Idagio but while those may be great for my favourite genre, it would leave me needing a second service for non-classical. I only want to pay for one, not because I'm cheap but because I'm really cheap.

After losing some hair with Tidal I've come to really appreciate the search function in Spotify but I want a "lossless" service.

Anyone else finding Tidal classical searches to be a pain? Anyone know of other "lossless" services with a great classical library and search function but also has the typical non-classical library?

2. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Qobuz is much better in this regard

Gaycha likes this.
  3. FrankF

FrankF pfm Member

Thanks lordsummit, unfortunately Qobuz is not available in Canada where I live. I should have probably mentioned that in my post.

I've been eagerly awaiting for Qobuz for a while but not yet.

4. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

That is a nuisance. Apple Music was less than ideal but a million times better for classical than Tidal. Not sure what to suggest really. Have you asked on the main site?

5. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

None. During my trail with Tidal I listened only to rock n pop, reasoning that a streaming service owned by rappers, would not have classical leanings.

6. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

I guess that says something... I have Apple Music for classical and even there I find the search to be rather 'adventurous' to say the least. Most often I end up finding what I look for, but God can the way be stony.

7. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Tidal has a lot of stuff, but you end up trying album name or soloist or conductor to find it.

8. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Set your Qobuz account up behind a vpn in a country where it is supported.

narabdela likes this.
  9. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Quite a lot of classical. Although I have given up on Tidal and moved to Qobuz, I do remember a Beethoven Symphony (no.7 I think) having over 500 variants to choose from. Can be hard to find the one you really want in that lot.

10. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Not really, just put in Karajan - Philharmonia.

11. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

I have abandoned tidal because of their tagging. Qobuz is also badly tagged and hard to search. Spotify is wonderful for tagging and is easy to search, but it sounds not so good. So I subscribe to both Spotify and Qobuz, and mostly use Spotify as an aid to help me find things on Qobuz.

Even worse, Qobuz search is too helpful, it comes up with all sorts of suggestions which have nothing to do with what you’re after. Again Spotify is perfect in that respect, and can be a help locating the right thing to search for on Qobuz.

It’s quite an art, this side of using streaming platform, by far the most problematic part of it.

12. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

May I add Carlos Kleiber on DG ?

Barrymagrec likes this.
  13. zippy

zippy pfm Member

I'm surprised you should say this as I've always found Qobuz searching very poor.

14. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

It’s not perfect, but compared to the other services, it’s much better. The trouble with classical music is it’s hard to quantify what you’re searching for! Is it soloist, piece, conductor, orchestra etc. I don’t think there’s a service that tags recordings adequately, but it seems to be the best of a bad bunch.

15. FrankF

FrankF pfm Member

Some interesting comments made here. Thanks.

I will ask on the main site as well as look into VPN but I have visions of all-nighters with my espresso trying to figure it out.

To clarify a bit what irritates me... I admit Tidal has a decent library of classical music and if you know exactly what you're looking for you'll usually find it. But if I wanted to find for example Respighi's Brazilian Impressions and wasn't sure of the title, doing a search for Respighi will give me a only a handful of albums which not even his most popular works (possible exception The Birds) are listed let alone Brazilian Impressions.

16. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Qobuz (whether searched directly or via Auralic's Lightning DS app) using the terms "Respighi Brazil", gets 9 results. Three of those are LSO/Dorati in different issues, so that's 7 performances of the Brazilian Impressions - and nothing irrelevant.

I don't know much about VPNs, but it sounds as though one would be useful to you. As I understand it, you only need the VPN to set up the Qobuz account, and then you can access it directly.

17. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

That's absolutely correct.
    I live in France but have set my account up as UK for reasons of library preference and price.