1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove DC from AC power line?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by flashgo, Nov 12, 2013.

1. flashgo

flashgo DIY Practitioner

Short of the kilo-quid required for an IsoTek Evo-3 syncro, is there a simple DIY way to remove DC from the AC power line?

2. thommy

thommy pfm Member

1:1 isolation transformer? That plus RF filtering is basically an IsoTek so I've been told.

3. flashgo

flashgo DIY Practitioner

RF filtering won't affect the DC, and an isolation traffo won't fit in that box on the power cable. There's got to be a trick.

4. thommy

thommy pfm Member

Didn't say it would affect the DC! Just saying that filtering was another aspect of the Isotek.

You basically want a power conditioner without having to have a power conditioner.
    Hope someone else has a better idea, I would be keen to hear it :)

5. JohnW

JohnW Trade: Lakewest

6. arthur

arthur Banned

7. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

What Arthur says, I use two in my system, very effective.

8. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

Think carefully about having a 240 volt board in your DIY device. Waiting to have a great fat belt from that one. The kit should come with an enclosure of some sort and labels for the outside of the enclosure. IMHO of course.

9. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Just like the exposed mains inside my Sony tuner and several Marantz CD players? Putting the dc blocker pcb inside its own enclosure will save you a lot of risk and would contain the capacitor contents if they failed spectacularly.

10. sq225917

Was anyone suggesting leaving them on the floor?

11. flashgo

flashgo DIY Practitioner

Sorry to be dense, but how does the Sjostrom unit work? (Sound.Westhost is down.) Can you plug it into an outlet, and magically, all DC is removed from anything else plugged into the same circuit? Or is it built into each component on the rack, or as part of a DIY power conditioner with multiple outlets?

12. thommy

thommy pfm Member

It goes before the transformer in whatever device you want free of DC. Check the specs to see if it will handle the power consumption of all of your kit at once.

13. mudlark

mudlark nearly half a clue

Using these devices is not trivial.

14. thommy

thommy pfm Member

This is a DIY forum. People come here to learn, exchange knowledge and support others. The OP has asked a perfectly reasonable question and a few of us are trying our best to help him.

You seem to be intent on preventing him from learning anything. I think we all know that mains voltage is dangerous. You may have been unlucky enough to electrocute yourself in the past, I don't know, but that doesn't mean that everyone who asks a question about mains is a cretin. We all start somewhere. IMHO.

15. thommy

thommy pfm Member

Thx for the heads up on the sjostrom boards. I have built several of his regulators, not sure why I didn't spot these before.

16. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

Electrocute - death by electric shock.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm not sure he would be contributing (debatable?) to this thread if he had been electrocuted.

For some members of the Audio room, yes. :)

17. Bemused

Bemused What's this all about then?

When you have an ignore list not all the threads make sense :D

18. thommy

thommy pfm Member

Woop Woop! It's the sound of da [dictionary] police ... LOL

Never knew that, thanks for correcting it and therefore expanding my vocabulary :)

19. thommy

thommy pfm Member

Ah so I wasn't speaking out of turn then. Good to know.

20. sq225917

flash, it's just like magic.....

The diodes block the DC,

I have mine plugged into a socket and then half an IEC cable runs from each one to a component. You could box them up if you cared enough.