1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How will you vote in UK General Election (Part II)?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by kendo, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Why, it's almost like the BBC has an agenda...

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Keunsbergs boss has probably told the journalistic equivalent of a cross-eyed Siamese cat not to bite the head off Corbyn but just make sure he doesn't escape.

3. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Am I too late to vote, well, destroy my ballot paper as I usually do

Bloss

4. SPJ

SPJ Guest

Theresa May and her husband are both on the BBC TV One show live tonight at 19:00
    Its the first time her husband has done a live tv chat show.

5. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Look at how the Parliamentary Labour Party nearly went into meltdown under Corbyn.

Of course, people will say that is because Corbyn faced Blairite traitors and red Tories, but as Prime Minister, you will face people who don't agree with you. Can you still lead effectively? Are you persuasive? Can you build a consensus? Can you get others to agree with different views and accept compromise? I don't think Cobryn can. If he could, I think he'd have done an awful lot better running the party.

Look at the electoral map of Britain and look at the polls and you will see you will face a lot of disagreement if you are Prime Minister Corbyn. You need to be able to handle that without just resorting to "biased red Tory", "biased media". I mean, that is Trump tactics.

Thankfully, May is not a good and not a confident campaigner. A minor incident - even a person with a pen - might yet produce one hell of a slip.

6. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

What's the betting that he says "strong and stable leadership"? I reckon a dead cert.

7. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

£10 says he doesn't.

8. fay spook

fay spook pfm Member

He often did himself no favours and his persona might be best suited to a local constituent rather than the southern press. Boris was my friend's local MP for a while. He went to see Boris in a surgery and apparently he was just as pompous a tw@t as you'd expect. Prezza might be the same if you aren't a Prezza type???

9. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

Just heard a 'report' on the BBC R4 news about the K. interview of Corbyn. Quite weird how they use it as a basis to give the opinions and judgements of the journalists even when they actually showed how flawed and daft her questioning was.

Binary sort of question: "Will you leave no matter no bad the deal?"

Firstly this isn't a binary choice anyway. We could leave with a deal, or leave with no deal, or stay on the existing arrangements, or stay on new arrangements, or get some 'new deal' as some kind of 'outer ring' involvement, etc, etc. All depends on the details and circumstances and the view of the people in the UK *then*, once they've seen the situation.

Anyone who understand mere reality would know this but it is excluded by the question and demanding a daft yes/no reply.

Also, anyone who knows Corbyn's history will know he was very unhappy with the EU and wanted radical changes to it, or leaving, anyway. But by trying to deal with the complexity of an unknown future reality he can be attacked. Basically for not being as simple minded as the journalists.

10. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

So is Trump. But I'd take Corbyn.

11. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

FWIW Having spent time in the groves of academia I've seen many a person with PhDs, etc, who I wouldn't have chosen to do any job that required thought. And I've seen many students who failed their exams, but I'd have otherwise welcomed doing research because they were clearly bright and capable and would have done well.

12. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Well, yes, of course there will be plenty of such experiences, but... I'm guessing those students didn't want to be Prime Minister.

I have a lot of respect for Corbyn and indeed anyone who puts themselves up for such a responsibility, but it's one hell of a job and you need one hell of a skill set to pull it off. Being a good local MP and a good speaker about inequality probably isn't enough.

13. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

It's just a pity Jimmie Saville isnt still around to host her as he did Margaret Hilda.

14. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

A PR stunt IMO, designed to show she's human, but if anyone takes out some garlic or a crucifix, she'll bolt ;)

15. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

In truth, she is rather nervous and hesitant. Not very confident. Very ordinary.

16. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

She just said she had a very 'stable' life as a child, twice she said 'stable', then got nervous as she realised she's brainwashed herself :D

17. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Probably a smart move

18. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Christ. What a contrast when you see Mel (of Mel and Sue) on camera after May.

Having seen May there, I am now very confident that "strong and stable leadership" is also a form of neuro-linguistic programming for May. You can just imagine her repeating "I am strong and stable, I am strong and stable" before going on the One Show.

19. fay spook

fay spook pfm Member

Don't get your 13 year old to place the bet. And don't you start a fake twitter about it either.

20. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

I reckon Merkel and Macron will eat May for breakfast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.