1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you vote in a General Election?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Swamp Thing, Jun 2, 2019.

?

How would you vote in a General Election?

1. A Brexit Party (Brexit, UKIP)

22 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. A Remain Party (Liberal Democrat, Green, SNP, Change UK, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance)

123 vote(s)
    65.1%
  3. The Labour Party

35 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. The Conservative Party

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Other (Raving Looney, DUP etc)

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

The Lib Dems really are economic liberals! They will not countenance the economic reforms planned by Labour and will strongly resist even the immediate anti-austerity measures that a strong Labour government would implement on Day 1.

maxflinn and ks.234 like this.
  2. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Post Brexit Interregnum, ready for the Apocalypse?

The criticism from Labour supporters is that the Liberals did not stand up to the Conservatives enough when in alliance with them in government. So if the Liberals are in alliance with Labour, they should obviously stand up to Labour and demand: -

- Rescind article 50 and remain in Europe. No vote, just do it.
    - A proper PR system. Not the wishy-washy one the Conservatives offered after a referendum. And no referendum, just do it.
    - Reversal of the tuition fees back to pre-2010 levels. Hey, complain about it for a decade - we listened. So reverse it.

Or have another election.

Assuming the Lib/SNP/Green anti-Brexit alliance doesn't win outright.

ff1d1l likes this.
  3. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

There can be no such alliance, unless all three parties merge, so no such alliance can win.

People will have to choose to vote for one of them.

4. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

It wouldn't be an alliance - more likely a confidence and supply situation.

5. maxflinn

Not possible unless one of them get the most seats in a GE, or get the second most and are asked to try to form a government because the party with the most seats couldn't.

6. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Those looks very possible i.e. Labour with either the most seats but well short of a majority, or the Tories with more seats but too far away from a majority to form a government as they'd have few parties that'd work with them. A possible 100 or so seats (SNP could provide 50+ of those based on current polling) across the more progressive parties could allow Labour to form a minority government with their support.

7. maxflinn

A Labour-led coalition is very different to a Lib-Dem/SNP/Green anti-Brexit alliance winning, which was the possibility Swampy put forward that I commented on..

I think it's very difficult to estimate the potential breakdown of seats in a GE when we don't know whether or not Farage will/can run a full list of candidates.

If, as I suspect, he does a deal with the Tories and runs none then I think the Tories will get the most seats, unless remainers, like many here who have vowed to vote for the Lib-Dems or Greens, vote for Labour instead.

I fear they won't though. Many will probably gamble on this Labour/pro-remain party coalition coming about, and vote for the Lib-Dems/Greens..

That's very risky IMO, though I suppose they think a Labour majority is risky too, from their perspective.

I think voting Labour and accepting a soft Brexit as a possibility, with a chance of a 2nd referendum is the safer bet.

8. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

That's still a big gamble though. At least here in Scotland it's not really a difficult choice to make as, barring a few areas that might return a LibDem, the best option is always going to be to vote SNP. If Labour do back a 2nd referendum with Remain in it (which is what Scottish Labour are saying they want) the dynamic in Scotland could swing back towards them somewhat, but without it they could be looking at a wipeout in Scotland.

kendo likes this.
  9. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

It's not rubbish and I already said Labour may not gain a majority. I know you automatically take an opposing view to whatever I post, but please at least read what I post before you pull the trigger, or don't bother at all.

10. maxflinn

Obviously the problem they have is if they switch to being a remain party they might be wiped out down south.

11. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

The referendum would not include a remain choice, according to Corbyn. This is why I wouldn't vote for Labour.

Jack

12. Brian

And there is a great example of what I was on about.

I didn't mentioned the SNP because I'm talking mainly about forming a UK government. The SNP isn't going to be forming a UK govt, is it? When it comes to forming a coalition, I do not consider the SNP because I see no way for Labour to join up with a nationalist party that wants to break up the UK. Happy for you to disagree, but that was why I didn't mention the SNP. Nothing to do with any hatred.

13. maxflinn

Perhaps not.
    And if there's no commitment to a 2nd referendum with remain on the ballot then it appears many will join you, which will probably mean the Tories win and you get a hard Brexit rather than a soft one.

Would you agree, Jack?

14. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

No, but neither is Labour without support from the SNP.

15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

That's not unlikely. But Labour must know this, so why they can't or won't commit to this is just inexplicable. But if they don't, and they fail, that will somehow be the voters' fault?

ff1d1l likes this.
  16. maxflinn

Inexplicable? Britain is leaving the EU based on the result of a democratic referendum. Labour's 2017 manifesto said they will respect this result, and honour it, if elected. They received huge support in the GE on this basis.

Why would it be inexplicable if Labour doesn't now call for a 2nd referendum?

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

17. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

We would get Brexit if the Tories or Labour won with a majority, Max, and I am not willing to vote for it. If Labour decide to shoot themselves n the head, that's up to them. The voters are the last people who should be blamed.

Jack

ff1d1l likes this.
  18. Brian

An apology for your earlier childish comment would have been good but I didn't think you would have it in you.

The SNP is best ignored in any attempt to agree a coalition.

19. maxflinn

But assuming, as it appears there really isn't much hope of stopping Brexit, wouldn't you want Labour's softer version designed to protect jobs and workers rights, as opposed to the Tory's hard version?

I realise this isn't a very nice choice for people very opposed to any form of Brexit, but if it's the only choice...
    Labour are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Had they opposed Brexit after the referendum they would have been slaughtered in the last GE.

Their softer Brexit is seen by them as a compromise.

I don't see anyone blaming voters, least of all Labour.

Covkxw likes this.
  20. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Support so huge they lost the election and their support is down since then by a double digit percentage. Couple that with Corbyn’s moronic assertion post referendum that article 50 should be triggered immediately and you can see why many Labour supporters are frustrated with the leadership of the party. Corbyn’s views are not representative of either MPs, members or voters. If I didn’t live in a Tory marginal I’d have no qualms about not voting for them.

ff1d1l likes this.