1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

How would you vote in a General Election?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Swamp Thing, Jun 2, 2019.

?

How would you vote in a General Election?

1. A Brexit Party (Brexit, UKIP)

22 vote(s)
    11.6%
  2. A Remain Party (Liberal Democrat, Green, SNP, Change UK, Plaid, Sinn Fein, SDLP, Alliance)

123 vote(s)
    65.1%
  3. The Labour Party

35 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. The Conservative Party

7 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Other (Raving Looney, DUP etc)

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. maxflinn

maxflinn Tulsi Gabbard 2020.

Please explain?

2. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Labour are already planning to abolish tuition fees entirely. Lid Dems don't have the courage to rescind A50. And the wishy-washy referendum on PR the Conservatives offered was the one they accepted, no questions asked, because they are incompetent cowards.

What they'll actually demand is that Labour shelve its plans to abolish universal credit, establish a National Investment Bank, begin a programme of council house building, reverse cuts to local authorities, and abolish tuition fees. For starters. Going along with austerity was instinctive for them, and fighting to maintain it will be as well.

3. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

They want to remain.

4. maxflinn

All Labour MPs, members and voters want to remain?

5. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

Labour Brexit. Vichy Brexit.

6. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The majority want to remain.

7. maxflinn

A majority, yes. But as a party they agreed to respect the result of the democratic referendum.

Maybe some people will never accept the result, but the extreme right-wing of the Tories are in control, and if they stay there it's a hard Brexit.

That's reality, and it ain't Corbyn's fault.

Covkxw likes this.
  8. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

They also want a Labour government more - and are aware that the line hasn't been fully run out on all this yet.

If the PLP weren't a) basically still on board with the strategy and b) sure that the members were still behind Corbyn, they'd launch another full frontal assault and have a go at a leadership challenge. They won't though.

maxflinn likes this.
  9. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

But not by me I'm afraid. Although I live in Kensington and Chelsea, that's who I pay council tax to, the constituency I am in is now under Hammersmith and Fulham.

I campaigned for Labour during the last general election, foolishly thinking Corbyn had some kind of plan to stop Brexit, and went around knocking on doors and giving out literature. Greg Hands was the Tory candidate. He got 52% of the votes cast.

There is no chance I would vote for Labour in Hammersmith and Fulham. I'll vote for the Party I support, not one that will give me Brexit.

Jack

10. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

It very much is a compromise whether you see it as such or not.

Out of interest, what made you think Labour had a plan to "stop brexit" given they aren't in government?

11. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Labour/Tory marginal.

12. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Habrians Wall :)

13. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Wow! That's really clever. I guess nationalists would be thinking about walls. :)

Just for clarity for the usual suspect(s) prone to misrepresent what people have posted.

I dismissed the SNP in talk about coalition governments because I believe entering into a coalition with the SNP is likely to help enable Scottish Independence. I am against the break up of the UK.

To expand on that. If a Labour/SNP coalition did happen it is likely the SNP will demand a referendum on Independence within a couple of years. A coalition on such a basis means only further uncertainty for the UK over another lengthy period of time and is likely to lead to the collapse of the coalition govt well before the end of a 5 year term.

The SNP supporters here may well be comfortable with that negative effect on the UK , however I'm not happy with that at all.

I know what I've written there isn't fact, it is opinion and I am happy to hear where I may be wrong. The only way I see such a coalition not leading to what I describe is if the SNP puts the UK first and enters into a coalition without insisting on a referendum on Independence. Is that likely to happen? If yes, then fine. A coalition between Labour/SNP to remove the tories will be excellent.

Covkxw likes this.
  14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Brian, Brexit is the expression of English ethnic nationalism and you are one of its proponents. I think you actually grasp this but exert a lot of energy throwing up dust and pointing elsewhere. The request for everyone to cosy around a Labour version of the same thing has very little traction- as you’ll have seen.

15. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Consider that if brexit were reversed, the appetite for a Scottish referendum on independence would dissipate - the fury in Scotland is that in the last independance referendum staying in Europe was possibly the major reason for voting remain. And dangled in front of them at the time by Cameron as such. And Scotland voted overwhelmingly remain the brexit ref.

Remove that discontent re Europe and another independance ref wouldn't fly IMHO.

There would be the lingering perception
    that the english are incompetant, xenophobic arses with the political savvy meter reading a minus number...but, hey, whats new?

kendo likes this.
  16. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

That, coming from a Brexiteer, is actually quite amusing!

kendo and TheDecameron like this.
  17. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

Dangled by a Labour/Tory coalition in fact - hence the almost total destruction of the Labour vote in Scotland. They were viewed as cosying up to the Tories on Independence then, and they're seem as cosying up to the Tories on Brexit now.

18. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I can't see an independence vote being successful if there was a 2nd referendum and Remain was the result. Given the disruption already caused by Brexit I think there would be little appetite for any more. If Brexit does go ahead, with a combination of Johnson/Farage/Corbyn support then even previous No voters will be seeing independence as the least worst option (based on many conversations with folks up here).

19. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

No it's not marginal.

DE’ATH Alan Colin Labour Party 13,991 33.21%

HANDS Gregory William The Conservative Party Candidate 22,179 52.65%

Jack

20. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

De'ath and labour jokes...must resist...must resist...

jackbarron likes this.