1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Hybrid SACD - CD layer

Discussion in 'audio' started by wpm, Nov 26, 2018.

1. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Hi

I had a query..

I see mainly 3 types of CD''s available on music websites like elusive disc

a. Hybrid SACD which has a Redbook CD layer so this can be played on normal CDP - price about USD 30 each

b. Normal CD - price about USD 15 maybe..

c. Blue Spec CD - compatible with CD players - this is Japanese spec - Japanese site - about USD 15

My CD Player is a normal CD Player and reads ONLY CD-R

Philips CD 960 - dont intend to buy asn SACD player anytime soon

Will i hear more or better recording is i buy a Hybrid SACD and play it on my CDP OR there is no point buying Hybrid SACD but stick to normal CD's ??

regards

2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

The answer is it depends: if the mastering is better on the CD/SACD hybrid then buy it. If it's the same or worse then buy the standard CD.

3. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Thank you..

how would i know which mastering is better ?

is there a way to determine this before purchase and with no audition ?

4. windhoek

Sort of: you can compare dynamic range scores at DR Database - in general, the higher the score the better the mastering is, although it's not always going to be the case - and you can also use forum knowledge and experience to see what the consensus is as to which release is better, although in some cases this will lead to a few releases being touted as the best which, if nothing else, will help rule out the worst versions. My view is, if you don't plan on buying an SACD-capable player anytime soon if ever at all you'd be as well to forget about SACDs and just get on with enjoying the music you already have along with any CDs you buy in the future.

wpm and mikechadwick like this.
  5. smegger68

smegger68 Mango Enthusiast

The dynamic range database is a good indcator of how well mastered a given disk is.

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

wpm likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Brilliant, but how do you find the artiste or specific CD as it's not alpha order or even year order?

7. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Just type the artist or title into the search box(es). It is a database with search facility.

I would just caution a bit on this. The DR is a useful function, most useful for identifying obviously overly squashed dynamic range on some editions. But IME the clumsy use of noise reduction or eccentric EQ choices are just as annoying. Smiley faced EQ or goosed upper mids to give the impression of 'detail', or jacked up mid bass for 'punch' are very common and DR database won't help locate those. Music forums like Steve Hoffman's will help identify some decent options for favourite albums.

Mike Reed likes this.
  8. windhoek

Once you've searched for your chosen artist/album, you can click on the columns at the top to sort the list by year, DR max, etc. As already noted, high DR is no guarantee of good mastering but it can help pick out the ones to avoid when there are album releases with extreme DR scores.

Mike Reed likes this.
  9. tuga

tuga European

The DR database will only provide information regarding Dynmic Range but there's to sound than DR so it might not be a bad idea to buy two or three different mastering version and compare them.

You may find complementary information about the best version of a particular album here http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/

wpm likes this.
  10. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

However it doesn't tell you about the source tape used, or the EQ applied, or the ADC, or other variables that impact the sound quality.

Tim

11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

Not really because it is in part subjective. And there are trade-offs, for example would you rather put up with some hiss or suffer NR artefacts?

Tim