1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

I, Daniel Blake

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Any pfm members seen Ken Loach's I, Daniel Blake?

2. blossomchris

blossomchris I am not searching, I know what I am looking for.

We almost booked tickets when our mucker said he read some reviews that stated that the Social security benefits system, as seen in the film were not correct.
    We may still go to see this, but without mucker.

Bloss

3. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

4. BrendanD

BrendanD pfm Member

I've not seen the film yet, will next week. But from what I've read of it, and working as a GP, I see these sort of indignities and brutalities every day.....

5. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Watched this last night. Recorded it from the weekend but suspect it's on BBC iPlayer. How the hell did we end up with so much wealth inequality? Shameful. Brilliant film.

Brown Bottle likes this.
  6. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

No. I thought it would be too upsetting for me.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d seen it previously, maybe on Amazon Prime, I can’t remember, but I watched it again on iPlayer. A classic old-school kitchen-sink drama in the Cathy Come Home vein and a similarly wonderful piece of social-commentary IMHO. Even if it over-eggs it by playing to the emotions rather too much it still successfully spotlights a truly disgusting and broken system and will serve as a lasting time-capsule just the way the other earlier movies of its genre have. I thought the portrayal of the benefit office staff was superb and the main strength of the film; it captured the ignorance, arrogance and intransigence of a certain breed of junior office staff rather well. Certainly well worth a watch.

8. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

It's an excellent film that does lay bare the inadequacies of the benefits system. Daily Mailers and Tories and the likes won't like it as it stops them being able to comfortably play their 'scroungers and scum' cards by serving up a dose of reality. Sadly though it won't make any difference as too many people in this country don't give a shit as long as they themselves are alright!

kendo likes this.
  9. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

I watched it at the cinema first time around, and vividly remember my girlfriend bursting into tears during the food bank scenes. As bitingly unpleasant as it might be to watch, it’s essential viewing IMO. But then again, I did get Threads on DVD as a Christmas present!

And coincidentally enough, just yesterday I said in an interview that I’d happily sanction some people being forced to watch IDB, Clockwork Orange-style.

10. mark.king

mark.king pfm Member

My wife moved jobs in DWP to a Job Centre. She thought she could do good and help people. She ended up handing in her notice and leaving after being bullied and seeing the staff treat the public with contempt and enjoy sanctioning for any reason they could think of. She watched part of this film and had to stop as it upset her too much. She says real life is actually worse than was portrayed in the film. These places should be there to help people and not destroy them.

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I watched it last night on iPlayer... powerful film with no happy ending :(

also check out on youtube - shy bairns get nowt: food poverty in the uk

it's a vice documentary about a foodbank in newcastle..tho, I suspect a lot of people on here think this is strictly a northern issue, but I've been watching some episodes of - 'how to get a council house' and most of the episodes are based in London :(

12. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

From some work related experience of job centres I'd say that part is or can be very accurate. I've little reason to doubt the rest of it either. It's a shocking portrayal of our divided society. Makes me sick and wonder where we'll end up.

droodzilla likes this.
  13. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

14. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor pfm Member

Great film but can't see too many "Flog 'em, sanction them, send them home" DM readers watching it.

15. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

I used to work for one of the supplier of some of the software which UC uses. I hasten to add that I wasn't working on UC in any way. It's interesting though that the security where the system is developed is so very high. You just about need to be PV'd to get into building. Some of the concepts behind UC are fine, the 5 week issue is not and nor is the real motivation - to save costs. Looking at why people need benefits and investing in helping them is talked about but is it really done that much and in a way that is relevant to to the recipient?

16. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Taken from a Guardian piece on the film....
    "Steve McCall, a manager of the Jobcentre Plus in Newcastle that is depicted in the film, spoke out to dispute its accuracy. “I hope people don’t think the film is a documentary,” he said. “Because it’s a story that doesn’t represent the reality we work in.”

The film unfortunately represents what many have to endure when applying for financial help from this government. Here is where much of the festering hate for Cameron & this government began it's fledging life.

ff1d1l likes this.
  17. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

Sad but true.

18. Rana

Rana pfm Member

Most powerful film I've seen in a long time. I saw this on a long haul flight and was actually in tears on some of scenes - somewhat embarrassing on a Japanese airline if you see what I mean.

19. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

The film is a sickening depiction of how ignorance can lead to suffering.

20. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes Active Member

Which specific concepts behind UC do you think are “fine”?