1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

I must be mad but this petrol head itch needed a scratch.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by AV8, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Very nice indeed. And a lot of car for the money. Is that the actual car?

2. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

Nice motor - practical and fast. The engine was originally designed by Porsche, Ford bought it off them.

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Good choice. Having run a cooking spec 1.8 for a long time I can tell you what gives up. In addition to routine brake servicing you can expect a steady appetite for ARB bushes and drop links. Cheap enough. If it hasn't yet had the brake pipes replaced then budget for this. They are steel and corrode, MoT testers love them. The same MoT testers hate people like me who slather the pipes in grease in order to preserve them. Replacement is an unpleasant and laborious task and is fairly costly. Finally I can tell you where the bodies corrode and how to slow this down. Enjoy yourself!

4. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

No, same as though.

5. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

All brake pipes replaced within the last 2 years so good to go.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  6. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Great news, I'd be slathering the pipes with grease or Waxoyl before winter. My old 03 Mondeo started rotting in the longitudinal rail that you can see when you remove the rear wheel, but as you have another to compare you'll know the usual stuff about door bottoms and arches. Mine was 17 years old and 156k when I got rid a year ago. It was getting tired, burning a drop of oil, down on economy. It saw one more MoT, I suspect something let go after that as the tax was suspended and it no longer had a test. They are solid cars, I like them. Welcome to bangernomics. Again, as you already have one.

7. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Nice one.

The Mk4 Titanium X with the 5 pot Focus ST lump is a nice sleeper and fairly cheap, always fancied one of them complete with tartan blanket on parcel shelf and a shade over 300bhp for not a lot of money for a bit of sleeper fun.

8. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Strange one this, a modified ST220 notified to the insurance, declared suspension & uprated brakes, is cheaper to insure than a standard car. Only by a few pounds but cheaper non the less, strange how insurance works.

Still waiting for the car to be MOT'd after failure, hoping to drive it at the weekend.

9. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

At £1400 not much more than a ton a month for a great car with gorgeous engine even if it goes south next MOT. Which it won't. As Steve says get those brake pipes sprayed up (Supertrol is my carcinogen of choice).

10. CHE

CHE pfm Member

Lovely car. I used to have an ST24 estate and it was running as good as new until it bit me on a corner and it reversed in to a tree at pace - nearly didn't get out of that.

Enjoy.

CHE

11. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Finally MOT'd so a test drive this weekend beckons.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  12. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Still not drove it, seller has had no spare time for me to do so plus l am abroad for a few days, hopefully Sunday now.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  13. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

Not quite. Originally designed by Isuzu, Porsche took it over and made some mods, then Ford bought it. Used in the X Type too, though Jag designed their own heads for the block.

14. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

I had a new ST220, was a brilliant car. Not super fast but a very competent all rounder.

15. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

I'd love to drive this but couldn't live with that cheap plastic interior and analogue clock (if it's the same as my '08 2.0L).

Shame they can't do interiors for toffee.

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

They're built to a price point so corners have to be cut somewhere. I think I could put up with that interior for a cheap grin-inducing hoon.

17. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I take your point, but the interior is where you spend your time. For a couple of decades now, Ford’s interiors have drawn heavily from the 1990s Japanese boom-box stereo school of aesthetics. Not my cup of tea, regardless of how good the car is, alas.

18. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

The Mondeo Mk3, as this is, has an interior quality equal of any Audi or BMW of the time.

19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'm not sure about that, I had one. It was a bit Sofa Warehouse. It was a damned sight more comfortable to sit in than an A4/A6/3 series, but that's not hard.

20. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

erm...me thinks the words of a man in love....I had one alongside an Audi A6...not that comparable. Nice car though.