1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ibuprofen

Discussion in 'off topic' started by BJP, Sep 28, 2019.

1. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Handy tip you can combine one dose of ibuprofen with one of paracetamol if the pain is really bad or one alone did not sufficiently reduce fever. I learned that from a nurse at our pediatrician.

Also I find a combo of ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine really effective for congestion headaches.

2. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

A useful tip but I find Aspirin is far better than either Ibuprofen or Paracetamol for sinus related headaches.

3. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

yes I agree most effective.

but it can result in stomach bleeds. I cant tolerate it at all.

For my ankle pain relief I am on co-codamole and ibuprofen.

4. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Paracetamol can also cause stomach bleeds although the incidence is a lot less than Ibuprofen

5. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes , normal paracetamol does not contain caffeine, if you see stuff like paracetamol extra then it does

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

it would be interesting to know whether restricting sales of paracetamol reduces suicide which is the aim i believe . many years ago i used to ram massive tubes down folks throats and tip fluid down them to make them vomit after od`s of paracetamol in A&e departments:( . not quite sure what they do now but it can be extremely fatal to take too much paracetamol and a few liver transplants are folks who have done this

7. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

yes I know, but typically that is long term users

8. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Combining acetaminophen and ibuprofen, one of each, is very effective. Some studies claim as good or better than opioids. It worked well for my last dental nightmare. If my stomach bled a little or my BP went up, so be it; I can get that from reading the Brexit thread.

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

As opposed to slightly fatal, perhaps? ;)

Jamie likes this.
  10. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I purchased Ibupropen 400mg in St. Malo yesterday.

BLOSS

11. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I had a friend at university who took a bottle of 100 - I had to take him to hospital - luckily he survived, in fact he would be known to some on a music forum like this :) Thing is a 16 pack or two is more than enough to 'do the job' as it were, death from liver failure is not to be recommended.

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Ibuprofen has been contra-indicated to other ailments and medicines in past reports. I've heard that when in pain, take dope; it doesn't reduce the pain but does make it more enjoyable.

13. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Cool. I wonder if there'll be a "My doctor wants me to drink wine for my heart. Can I still take Vicodins like breath mints while I try that?" thread.

14. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

15. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

That was the aim, and I would be interested to know as well. Difficult to assess with all the variables. Agreed re: how paracetamol affects the liver. Most unpleasant. I have seen an overdose being treated in A&E, not pretty.

hifinutt likes this.
  16. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

17. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

All this stuff leads to varying degrees of long term cognitive impairment.

18. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

Big Tabs likes this.
  19. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

boots in nottingham churn out ibuprofen by the tonne each day, nerofen and genetic brands but don't know how much is for export

20. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems